Beyerdynamic DT880 = Wow!
Jun 14, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #166 of 237
When I emailed Beyerdynamics for information, they told me the same think, they are the same as the regular 2005+ DT880 except for the coiled cord, somewhat stronger clamping force and minor details in the headband but same drivers.

Jun 15, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #167 of 237
I can also recommend getting a tube amp rather than a solid state amp for the DT-880's, tubes just make everything sound more real than solid state amps imo. They have way better synergy together in my own experience.

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #169 of 237
yes they are usable afaik on the 770's, 880's, and 990's

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #170 of 237
Ok today i got them. Leather pads for my DT880. but i am little dissapointed with the sound. Is it really that BIG difference in sound with leather pads vs velour pads? What i got is much, much more boomy bass? I dont like this. With much less detail in highs. Its feels like something is missing. Completely different cans now. Is this normal? Or will sound change when the pads are longer in use. I dont know how to describe but now whole sound is with lees detail, more boomy like the real bass is missing. Not so natural as with original velour pads. Will there be any change in sound when the pads are longer in use? I hope so because they were not so cheap... Or i just sell them?

Jul 31, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #171 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElephantTLK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok today i got them. Leather pads for my DT880. but i am little dissapointed with the sound. Is it really that BIG difference in sound with leather pads vs velour pads? What i got is much, much more boomy bass? I dont like this. With much less detail in highs. Its feels like something is missing. Completely different cans now. Is this normal? Or will sound change when the pads are longer in use. I dont know how to describe but now whole sound is with lees detail, more boomy like the real bass is missing. Not so natural as with original velour pads. Will there be any change in sound when the pads are longer in use? I hope so because they were not so cheap... Or i just sell them?

No it won't change, they'll continue sound like cheap boombox with leather even after break in. If you want more quality bass, get 600Ohm version, these are bassy in a good way and not as dry as 250 Ohm version.

Jul 31, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #172 of 237
I like the sound sig of DT880. But as i said combination with leather pads is a big step back in SQ. So i am right that with leather pads they sound a lot worse than with orig. velour pads. Why is that big change in terms of SQ? They ere not cheap. And final question. Does 600ohm version really sounds that good? Or better. Is really BIG difference between 250 ohm and 600 ohm version?
Is my Darkvoice 336i good for 600ohm version?

Edit: and yes now they sound like a cheap boombox. A lot of detail and overal clarity is missing with just too much of boomy (poor ears) bass that i dont like.
Highs are still there but there is just something missing....

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #173 of 237
Got my 600 Ohm 880s yesterday and loving them so far - definitely quite a bit different from my Senns
dt880smile.png

At first I just wanted to add the 600 Ohm option on the MANUFAKTUR page but ended up going for an all-black version with leather headband - oh well...
wink.gif

Shipping was really fast too - I guess this is one of the benefits if you live only about an hour by car away from the beyer headquarters.

Now let's burn them in a little, shall we?

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #175 of 237
I'm just about to jump into getting a 880. can someone pls help with the following?

1) 250ohm vs 600ohm any difference?

2) DV 332 vs LD Mk 3 - which is a good bet?

any comments will be appreciated for a newbie
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #176 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be curious to know how much sound leakage they have as they are listed as "semi open" on the website. Can other people hear what you're listening to?

They do leak some (DT 880's) but at least my wife does not complaint the way she does if I listen to loud music with my speakers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #177 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by storm028 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

250ohm vs 600ohm any difference?

Mostly the price!!!
dt880smile.png

On a more serious note, I've never owned the 600 ohm version, so I can't really comment, other than what has kept me away from making the jump is the cost, especially with the current exchange rate with the euro. Reading lots of other comments on the 600ohm version, people really seem to like them, but they require a powerful tube amp to get the most out of them, from what I understand. If you do a search on the forum, there are several threads discussing the 600 ohm version.

My 250 ohm's sound incredibly good powered with my Millett Max Hybrid.

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #178 of 237
Good with a tube amp, eh? I have a Darkvoice 336i currently powering some Grado SR80s and I'm looking to upgrade the headphones. I'm taking a long, hard look at the SR225s or Alessandro ms-2i, as I would like to keep a lot of the "Grado sound", just with maybe a little less color and more soundstage. Would these be p my alley, and how do they compare to the SR225s or Alessandro ms-2i?

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #179 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mostly the price!!!
dt880smile.png

My thoughts exactly ... before I acquired one. I was not thrilled with 250Ohm version in my system, with GS-1 and GLite they were the least bassy phones in my collection, highs were a bit on too bright side and mids were dry and slightly recessed. Boring and too analytical. W5000 providing even better details were managing to deliver a better bass and add that missing juice and meat around notes, making them much more pleasant and musical.
I was very skeptical myself that 600 Ohm could change that much, but too my surprise the difference turned out to be much bigger than what I've read here.
Number one - totally awesome bass, quantity and quality wise. Step up from W5000.
Number two - response is smooth and even throughout the whole band, no dips in the mids or spikes in highs.
Number three - highs lost their shrill and overall signature became warmer, gaining that musicality I missed with 250 Ohm version.
At this point they sound more balanced than W5000, although W5000 still holds "the most detailed" title but the gap between two is rather small.
GLite is more than capable to drive those never going past 12 o'clock volume position. Same goes for GS-1, mine is unity gain and most of the times low gain is enough for them. Pico in high gain with almost maxed out volume is struggling to drive them properly.
600Ohm version is like hidden Beyer's secret weapon, other manufactures must thank Beyer that it didn't make them more widely available.
dt880smile.png

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #180 of 237
^^ Great input Andrew.

I know one of these days I'm going to make jump, especially when I read reviews like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back