Beyerdynamic DT880 = Wow!
Jun 7, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #136 of 237
I would not consider my DT880s to be great Hard Rock cans.. now my new DT770s that is a different story, as I burn them in the bottom end produces enough bass to satisfy my needs for bands like , 3 Doors Down, Pillar, Nickelback, etc. The DT 770s have really impresed me for this type of music, and at 119.00 new they are really hard to beat.

The 880s do have a place depending on the type of music you listen to, I would just not catergorize them as Hard Rock cans... they just dont have the bass and mid bass punch I like to replicate it.

Jun 8, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #137 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastershake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my pair of DT880 and I'm a little disappointed in its lack of bass and midbass.... Overall the 880 has better midtone response than my Denon's but it really falls short on in the bass department. I listen to alot of rock and with the 880's the bass drum doesn't come though as well..Is it 'cuz I haven't burned them in enough (50 hrs)? Will the bass come though more? Currently its being powered though an iBasso D2 amp....any advice would be great!

My DT880s produce barely any bass out of my portable amp, and I just assumed that was their sound signature.

I was wrong, using them with my SOHA, they have an amazingly tight and impactful bass that's thoroughly enjoyable.

Jun 8, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #138 of 237
Quote:

I just got my pair of DT880 and I'm a little disappointed in its lack of bass and midbass....

that will be because you don't have a sufficient amp, the DT-880s are quite hard to drive, they just sound so uninvolving when not amped properly. Another point is the D2000 have way more bass than the DT-880, so if you're coming form the D2000's theres a good chance you will feel the bass is lacking in quantity.

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #139 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My DT880s produce barely any bass out of my portable amp, and I just assumed that was their sound signature.

I was wrong, using them with my SOHA, they have an amazingly tight and impactful bass that's thoroughly enjoyable.

Are there any amps in particular that you would recommend. I'm on a limited budget...say around 200 ish for a desktop amp....I was trying to find a cheap amp but I dont know what I want....

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #140 of 237
Quote:

Are there any amps in particular that you would recommend. I'm on a limited budget...say around 200 ish for a desktop amp....I was trying to find a cheap amp but I dont know what I want....

Wait...this is with your D2 Boa?
I just bought that exact setup so I'm really hoping the D2 Boa is enough to drive the 880's...
Like, I just bought both the 880's and the D2 Boa within the last 30 minute online...gonna be annoyed if I have to go and buy another amp.

I'm really hoping it's just that you were expecting too much bass, since I think a lot of cheaper headphones boost the bass a great deal. I actually think the HD-280's have boosted bass, and your Denon DJ headphones probably have VERY exaggerated bass for beat-matching while doing DJ work.

I have the HD212 DJ phones from Sennheiser and if Denon boosts the bass as much as Sennheiser did, then it's probably just the fact that you're used to much bassier headphones that's making these seem bassless and not really your amp. For a DJ, accuracy isn't particularly important compared to being able to hear/feel the beats of what you're working on so you can match the beats on 2 tracks (for changing the song smoothly or for overlaying a special beat/sounds track). It's unlikely that any headphone going for accuracy would ever be able to compare to a pair of DJ headphones in the bass department no matter how insanely you amp it.

That's what I'm hoping anyway because I'm outta money to go buy another amp lol.

Well, I'll post my own 2 cents when I get this setup I guess...I own a buncha headphones, including ones with pretty boosted bass.

Jun 8, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #142 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by tekdemon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait...this is with your D2 Boa?
I just bought that exact setup so I'm really hoping the D2 Boa is enough to drive the 880's...
Like, I just bought both the 880's and the D2 Boa within the last 30 minute online...gonna be annoyed if I have to go and buy another amp.

I'm really hoping it's just that you were expecting too much bass, since I think a lot of cheaper headphones boost the bass a great deal. I actually think the HD-280's have boosted bass, and your Denon DJ headphones probably have VERY exaggerated bass for beat-matching while doing DJ work.

I have the HD212 DJ phones from Sennheiser and if Denon boosts the bass as much as Sennheiser did, then it's probably just the fact that you're used to much bassier headphones that's making these seem bassless and not really your amp. For a DJ, accuracy isn't particularly important compared to being able to hear/feel the beats of what you're working on so you can match the beats on 2 tracks (for changing the song smoothly or for overlaying a special beat/sounds track). It's unlikely that any headphone going for accuracy would ever be able to compare to a pair of DJ headphones in the bass department no matter how insanely you amp it.

That's what I'm hoping anyway because I'm outta money to go buy another amp lol.

Well, I'll post my own 2 cents when I get this setup I guess...I own a buncha headphones, including ones with pretty boosted bass.

Sorry to say but it won't drive them near their potential. They come off as uninvolving and cold without a relatively powerful home amp.

Since you haven't heard anything better you'll likely still enjoy the DT880s a lot (I enjoyed them out of my Minibox-E, until I heard them properly amped).

As a rule portable amps don't really drive full-size headphones (SQ wise), they'll give you plenty of volume though.

Jun 8, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #143 of 237
Quote:

The SOHA (atleast in the configuration that I got it in) has the best bang for the buck in that price range. It cost me $210 shipped to my door.

I had it made specifically for synergy with the DT880s. Because of this it sounds better with the DT880s than a lot of amps I've heard that cost many times its price.

I'm sure you could find a builder to make one for you on this site (the builder I got it from doesn't normally make SOHAs, it was just a one-time deal.)

I just got a pair of AKG K260s through a trade (they'll be shipped out Monday). They're supposed to be a little bright, so hopefully the synergy will transfer over to K260s as it does with the DT880s.

Jun 9, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #144 of 237
Quote:

How are you with a soldering iron? I've heard that the DT880 sounds great with a Millett Hybrid MAX. I'm about to build one, just waiting to see what the consensus is on the Millett MAX with MOSFETs.

Jun 11, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #145 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to say but it won't drive them near their potential. They come off as uninvolving and cold without a relatively powerful home amp.

Since you haven't heard anything better you'll likely still enjoy the DT880s a lot (I enjoyed them out of my Minibox-E, until I heard them properly amped).

As a rule portable amps don't really drive full-size headphones (SQ wise), they'll give you plenty of volume though.

Well, I bought it so I could bring the DT-880's with me to study with my ipod, and also to use as a DAC for my laptop when I'm studying...so a desktop amp would have been pretty silly
wink.gif

But anyways, I disagree about the bass being weak...I'm listening right now (amp JUST got here via UPS from China...that was fast!) and the bass is almost exaggerated on the DT-880's, so to anybody out there wondering about whether the DT-880's have decent bass when driven by the iBasso Boa, it has plenty of bass.

Not DJ headphone levels of bass, but more than my panasonic headphones (which are decent headphones not junk), IIRC more than the porta-pros, and pretty much more than every headphone I own except the DJ headphones.

So Mastershake isn't going to get any more bass out of these no matter how insane an amp he buys, they're already very bassy, he just wants DJ headphone levels of bass which just isn't gonna happen with these headphones.

Anyways, I'd love to play the neverending upgrade game but I think I tapped out my budget...I'm just a broke medical student who lives on loans, so spending this much money is already insane enough. I'd have to starve for months if I wanted to keep upgrading
tongue.gif

I will continue this game when I finish my residency...then I'll be able to tell you guys how you have to buy more expensive stuff to enjoy your headphones
biggrin.gif
(kidding)

Gotta go set up my hard drive with all the FLACs and have a listen...love the fact that it's a DAC since my laptop audio is awful...this is like an unbelievable upgrade compared to the stock audio and whatever headphones I was using before (various). Of course I've had better audio setups before, but the laptop always annoyed the hell out of me.

Jun 11, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #146 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by tekdemon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I bought it so I could bring the DT-880's with me to study with my ipod, and also to use as a DAC for my laptop when I'm studying...so a desktop amp would have been pretty silly
wink.gif

But anyways, I disagree about the bass being weak...I'm listening right now (amp JUST got here via UPS from China...that was fast!) and the bass is almost exaggerated on the DT-880's, so to anybody out there wondering about whether the DT-880's have decent bass when driven by the iBasso Boa, it has plenty of bass.

Not DJ headphone levels of bass, but more than my panasonic headphones (which are decent headphones not junk), IIRC more than the porta-pros, and pretty much more than every headphone I own except the DJ headphones.

Anyways, I'd love to play the neverending upgrade game but I think I tapped out my budget...I'm just a broke medical student who lives on loans, so spending this much money is already insane enough. I'd have to starve for months if I wanted to keep upgrading
tongue.gif

I will continue this game when I finish my residency...then I'll be able to tell you guys how you have to buy more expensive stuff to enjoy your headphones
biggrin.gif
(kidding)

The important part is that you enjoy them! If you don't need higher-end equipment to enjoy your music, then don't let anyone fool you into thinking you need it.

Happy listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #147 of 237
The DT880's ARE FLAT.

the bass is there. It is not bloated

There is no midrange hump.

The highs are not muted (rolled off, veiled, however you want to call it)

Had my DT880 Pro A/B with the HD650 and those are my off the top observation

Makes you say wow. Whatever the HD650 can resolve, the DT880 is able to resolve as well. That means I hear the same amount of details on both. Didn't get that when I a/b the HD650 to my D2000.

Jun 12, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #149 of 237
what did you get it recabled with
smily_headphones1.gif
I might be considering a recable in the near future. I hardly see any DT-880 users wth after market cables, apart from cardas cables.

Jun 12, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #150 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, for the record. I have the '07 DT880 Pro that I got recabled. nice improvement over stock. Tried to FS it for a while but in the end, after several PM's and me listening to it again, I decided it's a GREAT phone.

So i'm keeping it.

Another win for Team Beyerdynamic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back