Beyerdynamic DT880 = Wow!
Jul 29, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #91 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dt880's are next on my neutral headphone hitlist.

What are first impressions on k701 vs dt880??

K-701 trump DT-880 on DC - 4Khz, DT-880 trump K-701 on nearly everything above 4Khz.
DT-880 are great headphones all around.

Jul 29, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #92 of 237
OPA2134 modified X-meridian and DT-880 is by far the best combination I've ever heard. Even better than with Aria; maybe the 880s benefit from the warmer sound of the BB op-amps. Bass has impact and depth while highs and mid sounds so very smooth.

I've been cured from upgradeitis; which is quite an achievement around these forums
880smile.png

Apr 19, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #93 of 237
tongue.gif
I am resurrecting this thread. I received my DT 880 Pro's today. I am using a portable amp (Headsix) which although not as good as a regular amp, it still sounds wonderful! I am using a 2nd gen Nano with volume at 90% and Headsix volume between 11 and 1 depending on the music. I'll buy a tube amp or an Arietta in the near future.
I have been an IEM user for a long time (UM2, super.fi 5 Pro, Sure 2c, marshmallows) and enjoy my home speakers (B&W 602's). Never thought of buying Headphones until my wife bought me the Bose QC2 which died after I plugged them into my Yamaha keyboard. They lasted only 15 minutes and sound was OK bot not WOW quality like my DT 880's.
I am surprised that some people complain of the lack of bass. Just right for me. I would not want more bass. From Bach's violin sonatas and cantatas, from Rod Stewart to Preservation Hall, I am very satisfied. I also really like the highs. Couldnt be happier. I am in heaphone heaven!
smily_headphones1.gif
My wallet (and my wife) wont be happy!
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #95 of 237
DT 880 Pro's has the coiled cable which I prefer. I am too new to tell you how much of a difference different cable upgrades make. Need to ask somebody with more experience.

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #96 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am quite sure it's the opposite unless you are looking at the price of the old 990 model, but nonetheless I agree that DT880 are superior to DT990, even though they could use some more bass, but I'd rather have that than recessed midrange and piercing highs.

Really, REALLY depends on what you're listening to. It's popular to make that generalization, but I've had no trouble finding music that isn't sibilant, and in those songs you end up with a VERY lively highend, that, when combined with a comparatively proportioned bottom end, can sound very exciting and engaging. The transition of those two bookend frequency ranges into the midrange is smooth, even if it is dipped.

Not an ideal headphone for hot, compressed music (IE most rock). But great for just about everything else.

Apr 20, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #98 of 237
Has anybody tried this phone(DT880) with the Desktop Max/Max combo?

May 1, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #99 of 237
I really like the DT-880s. I have HD-650s and some other headphones but I think the Beyers are the best all around.

But I wanted to let folks know that the 880s are for sale by Amazon for $208. I ordered a pair today because I had given
my older 880s to my brother.

May 1, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #100 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like the DT-880s. I have HD-650s and some other headphones but I think the Beyers are the best all around.

But I wanted to let folks know that the 880s are for sale by Amazon for $208. I ordered a pair today because I had given
my older 880s to my brother.

Here is a very worthwhile review that articulates what many have said ...6moons audio reviews: Beyerdynamics DT 880
Enjoy, wish I coul try them out!

May 1, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #101 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, Trose got charged Duty in USA because of all those additional Leather Earpads. Normally, if you order Beyerdynamic "Manufacture" page headphones + one or two additional pairs of earpads - it doesn't happen.

When you order, all prices include VAT - which is deducted near the end of the ordering process. So, that scary 19% DOES come off for North American (i.e. non-EU) orders. Shipping cost of $20 is added. Normally, total price comes to aprox $400 - 450 (depending upon your particular choices). It's a fair deal (I have 2 pairs of those "Manufacture" 600 ohm 'phones)

Here is a good source...New Beyerdynamic DT880 Headphones Free Ship in US - eBay (item 180237583524 end time May-08-08 08:17:08 PDT)

May 3, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #102 of 237
I had been watching the DT-880's on Amazon. The price went from about $279 to $218 and then to $208. I ordered a pair for $208 and checked the next morning and the price was at $299. These are the DT-880 premium not the pro. My pair is suppose to ship Monday.

I have purchased from Moon Audio and the owner seems like a very nice and honest person. I bought a Headamp and picked it up in person. I plan to buy some more things from Moon, but for $299 I would consider the DT-990. The DT-880 may be better phones but since I have had 880s then for the same price I would try the 990s. It would be nice to live some place where one could audition headphones but you need to be in a large city for that level of service. Also, I try not to try stuff at a small retail store and then order on-line from a big box.

If I ordered from Moon Audio, I would consider getting the DT-880 with one of his custom cables. I don't know if the custom cable would make the phones sound better (I have considered buying his silver line for my 650s) but you would have something different.

I buy a lot of things from Amazon and if they made a mistake and tell me that the DT-880s aren't available for $208 I am going to be upset.

May 3, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #103 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I buy a lot of things from Amazon and if they made a mistake and tell me that the DT-880s aren't available for $208 I am going to be upset.

They probably will honor their published price. $208 is a great deal, congratulations!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back