Beyerdynamic DT880 = Wow!
Jul 27, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #76 of 237
In studio technic wet & dry is used with delay processors.
A dry echo is a signal that is repeat without any mixing with other signals.
A wet echo is the signal you want to repeat mixed with the current signal and this product is then repeated.
If I transfer the studio slang to audiphile slang, then to me a dry headphone has a clean analytical sound, while a wet headphone would have a boomy reverbant sound.
But I could be wrong

Jul 27, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #77 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by HankTheTank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for yoNow, I just have to decide whether to buy the DT880s used or to get Manufacture 600 ohms right away.

Not sure what you're asking here.

As to a new model, I wouldn't wait for that, it'll probably be at least a year and the current 880 is spectacular.

Jul 28, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #78 of 237
I'm just debating whether without having given them a proper listen it would make more sense to get some used first for much cheaper or go for the added performance of 600 ohms as well as the visual factor of having some Notre Dame gold and blue head phones right away. I guess If I resold a pair I wouldn't really lose much as compared to if I decided I didn't like them and got Manufactures.

Jul 28, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #79 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by HankTheTank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just debating whether without having given them a proper listen it would make more sense to get some used first for much cheaper or go for the added performance of 600 ohms as well as the visual factor of having some Notre Dame gold and blue head phones right away. I guess If I resold a pair I wouldn't really lose much as compared to if I decided I didn't like them and got Manufactures.

That sounds like a smart idea. The Manufacture model is quite an investment, and could be premature unless you are poised to keep the DT880 for the longterm. Getting accustomed to the DT880/2005 by first getting/auditioning a used pair makes good sense. : ) Besides, I'm not sure, beyond the customized cosmetics, if anything sonically better differentiates the stock DT880 from their uptown, Manufacture cousins . . . ?

Lastly, on the used FS forum, these seem to be a hard sell, since you are selling someone else your uniquely personalized DT880, which would narrow the resale market, I would guess. I've considered buying a few of the used DT880/Man. up on the FS forum, but was halted by (a) the relatively high asking price and (b) the custom features, which were not to my taste(s).

Jul 28, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #80 of 237
I think that market might get even smaller if it had Notre Dame Head-Fi engraved on it
tongue.gif

Jul 28, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #81 of 237
How much do those custom jobs go for anyways?

Jul 28, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #83 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Manufacturers depending on options go from 440-500ish!

Where exactly do you order?

I found a site, but it was obviously in Europe, and the figures were in Euros.

Jul 29, 2007 at 11:03 AM Post #85 of 237
Todd, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you are out of the EU you don't have to pay VAT which is figured into the price when you customize them from the Beyer site. That being said, you could get yourself a pair starting somewhere under $400. The pair I had priced out were 600 ohms, had the custom colors but left the standard charcoal grey plastic pieces, had engraving, and had leather pads (if you want both pads like I will if I like the used pair I hope to pick up soon, order the standard pads on the phones and get the leather extras, this will save you 10 euros as compared to the other way around) and that ended up being $420 or $430 with all fees.

Jul 29, 2007 at 12:33 PM Post #86 of 237
Sounds about right hank and good looking out for adding the leather after to save the 10 euros I missed that trick lol!

The vat thing is a bit or a mystery no you don't pay vat but I did get hit with a 56 dollar duty tax. Not sure if it was cause my order was larger than most.

I think the big advantage in the used market is instant gratification. Beyer in most cases is slow at 30 days for both my sets and the second pair have not come yet

So if you like the options and want them in a day or two used is the way to go although I wouldn't really call my 880's used they prob have 50hrs tops

Jul 29, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #87 of 237
Yes, Trose got charged Duty in USA because of all those additional Leather Earpads. Normally, if you order Beyerdynamic "Manufacture" page headphones + one or two additional pairs of earpads - it doesn't happen.

When you order, all prices include VAT - which is deducted near the end of the ordering process. So, that scary 19% DOES come off for North American (i.e. non-EU) orders. Shipping cost of $20 is added. Normally, total price comes to aprox $400 - 450 (depending upon your particular choices). It's a fair deal (I have 2 pairs of those "Manufacture" 600 ohm 'phones)

Jul 29, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #88 of 237
IMHO, it is not wise to modify the DT880 or this will destroy its balance in frequency with original design, which is one of the strengths. But pairs it with a suitable good amplifier can improve the sound significantly without destruct the DT880's strengths.

Jul 29, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #89 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManAtWork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO, it is not wise to modify the DT880 or this will destroy its balance in frequency with original design, which is one of the strengths. But pairs it with a suitable good amplifier can improve the sound significantly without destruct the DT880's strengths.

What did you mean by "modify"?
confused.gif

Manufacture cans are not a "modify" except impedance part if you go for 600Ohm, other than that it's more like bling thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back