1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

    Dismiss Notice

Beyerdynamic DT880 = Wow!

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by nelamvr6, Jul 16, 2007.
First
 
Back
1 2 3
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Next
 
Last
  1. spinali
    The DT880s may be more comfortable than any other headphone, or at least it's the equal. The sound has nice detail, as well. It's only minus is a certain "dryness" that just about everybody notices. For many, it's not an issue; for me, the K701 had extra treble detail, and suddenly the who sound was colorful and warm - without the pronounced bass of the Senn 650s.
     
  2. xyz
    how many models of the dt880 are there? 2003 and 2005, but aren't there various ohm's for both versions?

    which version/ohm is generally regarded as best?
     
  3. wovenhand
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by spinali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    It's only minus is a certain "dryness" that just about everybody notices.



    For me that "dryness" is a huge plus, I love it. [​IMG]
     
  4. Pibborando
    Something I've been wondering in regards to this: What exactly does "dry" or "wet" refer to in audio?

    I mean I understand bright/dark, warm/cool, etc. but... help me out here.
     
  5. kuden
    The DT880 are appealing in terms of look,comfort , details etc , but i don't think i ever saw them being recommended for rock music which is what i listen to mostly [​IMG]
     
  6. Bozz_Keren
    yep, what is exactly "dry" sounds like?
     
  7. silverrain
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    yep, what is exactly "dry" sounds like?



    Yeah -- I want to know this too!
    Seriously! (Since I'm thinking about getting a DT880)
     
  8. ounkchicago
    My first pair of quality headphones were Grado SR-60. I was completely blown away by the detail they revealed compared to the types of headphones that came stock with PCDP's and DAP's. Then I bought the DT880 (older model) and I could not believe my ears. As one reviewer once said, "the headphones don't sound like anything at all," and that is a huge compliment for this type of neutral, analytial, detailed sound signature-type headphone.

    I consider my DT880 to be my "reference quality headphone." It is the headphone I use to compare all my new headphones, amps, DACs, etc. When I went to my local store to shop for a headphone amp, I brought my DT880's in their ridiculous-looking metal box, to ensure that the amp would sound good with MY headphones. These headphones are definitely keepers -- even though I'm currently seeking more fun, colored sound signatures in my new head-fi purchases, these Beyers will always be the "measuring stick" to which they'll be compared.
     
  9. Darkestred
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Pibborando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Something I've been wondering in regards to this: What exactly does "dry" or "wet" refer to in audio?

    I mean I understand bright/dark, warm/cool, etc. but... help me out here.




    The only thing i can gather from this is how records were recording in the 70s. Ala led zeppelin (wet type sound).
     
  10. sweetwilly
    Well, I'm certainly loving my 880s. I haven't touched my Grados in two weeks or so.
     
  11. spinali
    Quote:

    Something I've been wondering in regards to this: What exactly does "dry" or "wet" refer to in audio?



    Real good question, and I'll try to answer it since I brought it up. I also think it's an important part of the DT880 sound.

    "Dry" is a sound lacking in certain sound characteristics along its whole range. Some might use the term, "analytic." One of the reasons the phone excels with pretty much any headphone amp is because the amp fills in the missing sound so quickly, making it notably fuller. Another by-product of this "dryness" is the DT880's celebrated sound stage, which is spacious; why is there that illusion of space? Is some sonic element missing?

    Google "DT880" + "dry" and watch the results.
     
  12. Bleeding Spark
    I considered selling my DT 880's (older model) a while ago, but glad I reconsidered. The GS 1000's (although great cans) came and went, while the thought of selling my DT 880's never crossed my mind.

    I love the detail and soundstage of these cans, not to mention the comfort.

    I've been enjoying my new Grado RS-1's for a couple weeks now, looks like I've got two pairs of headphones that I'll never part with.
     
  13. Bozz_Keren
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by spinali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Real good question, and I'll try to answer it since I brought it up. I also think it's an important part of the DT880 sound.

    "Dry" is a sound lacking in certain sound characteristics along its whole range. Some might use the term, "analytic." One of the reasons the phone excels with pretty much any headphone amp is because the amp fills in the missing sound so quickly, making it notably fuller. Another by-product of this "dryness" is the DT880's celebrated sound stage, which is spacious; why is there that illusion of space? Is some sonic element missing?

    Google "DT880" + "dry" and watch the results.




    i think my ms-1 is analytical, can i call them "dry"?
    well i like the analytical sound in ms-1, partly because they got little bass, so it brings out the mids and highs more
     
  14. Citrous
    The millet hybrid I recently added into my setup reignited my love for my 880s. [​IMG]
     
  15. gjustice
    The 880s are amazing headphones... no doubt about it.
     
First
 
Back
1 2 3
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Next
 
Last

Share This Page