Beyerdynamic DT770 vs 880 vs 990
Jan 28, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #61 of 103
Just to balance all the dt990 bashing.

The dt990 is a REALLY good headphone if used with the right recordings. When used with the wrong recordinds, the hights can be too much and the over all sound be too harsh. But when the recording is up to par, and the treble is nice and detailed but not harsh, dt990 is a VERY good listen. The bass can be extremely good as well.

The problem is the recordings which are not up to par, and since there are lots of them, especially in metal, the dt990 can be harsh. If there is even a hint of harshness in the treble of the recording, dt990 with push that harsh hights all the way up.

With an album without the a treble, like Symphony X - Paradise lost, the dt990 really exceel, with a large full bass, airy mids and sparkly hights.

Jan 28, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #62 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dt990 is a REALLY good headphone if used with the right recordings.

No way. It's the headphones to fit my recordings, not me to search for a proper music. I know what music I like and I need the right headphones - neutral, sweet, well extended. For more raw power I grab the SR325i's. With the DT880's actually everything sounds good.

Jan 28, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #63 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No way. It's the headphones to fit my recordings, not me to search for a proper music. I know what music I like and I need the right headphones - neutral, sweet, well extended. For more raw power I grab the SR325i's. With the DT880's actually everything sounds good.

There are recordings with which dt990 sound better to me than dt880 and ms2i. The dt990 is not always worse than dt880, something which I can't stress enough. With many recordings, 880 is better and other recordings 990 is better, just the way it is.

If I could only have one, I would use 880 as it sounds excellent on most recordings, good on some and average on some, while dt990 sound excellent on many recordings, good on most, average on some and bad on a few.

excellent > good > average > bad

EDIT: When listening to Mastodon and well recorded instrumental jazz, I would reach for dt990 9 times out of 10.

Jan 28, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #64 of 103
Quote:

The dt990 is a REALLY good headphone if used with the right recordings. When used with the wrong recordinds

90% of today's recordings are poor. Loudness war made 990 really hard cans to recommend.

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #65 of 103
After searching the forums I have yet to really see a concise opinion on which is better for trance, say Armin Van Buuren's "A State Of Trance". Would the DT880s be better or the DT990? Bass is rather noticeable with trance so would the DT990s be overpowering there? Then there are also female vocals (Seems to be a popular thing).

Need some tracks to sample to make an opinion? Or is this pretty much up to personal preference and both are more than decent enough for trance?

Reason I'm asking is because I like trance and there's a rather interesting offer for a DT880 and Crossroads Mylar combo at Jaben going on atm.

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #66 of 103
Yes, it's a very good amp... a real BANG for the buck amp!!. I recommend it a lot to you, tylernol. You will not be dissapointed.
And welcome to the community. I begin in the same way as you, but nobody give me a welcome..., but not matter.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
meier arietta, goes for $180-200 USD. best amp in your price range i would think for the dt880/dt990.

meier amps have been known to be synergistic with beyer headphones. also the crossfeed function in their amps reduce the sibilant treble.

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #67 of 103
Yes i agree, is the same as i said. If the record has very much treble, the sound will be harsh. but for that is the EQ, Ok?,
Anyway i prefer a lively and energetic treble for all purpose listening (TV, Movies, music), that a subdued or lifeless treble.
so that please..., Stop bashing the Headphone...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to balance all the dt990 bashing.

The dt990 is a REALLY good headphone if used with the right recordings. When used with the wrong recordinds, the hights can be too much and the over all sound be too harsh. But when the recording is up to par, and the treble is nice and detailed but not harsh, dt990 is a VERY good listen. The bass can be extremely good as well.

The problem is the recordings which are not up to par, and since there are lots of them, especially in metal, the dt990 can be harsh. If there is even a hint of harshness in the treble of the recording, dt990 with push that harsh hights all the way up.

With an album without the a treble, like Symphony X - Paradise lost, the dt990 really exceel, with a large full bass, airy mids and sparkly hights.

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #68 of 103
The DT990 is better for trance than the DT880 in my honest opinion, even the 2005 ed of Dt880 bass, is not enough to satisfy.... The bass in DT990 is not overpowering at all, is right (less be disappointing), even using an EQ with some DB increment. (and that that i use my XMOD...)
Ah, the female voices sound delicate and seductive too, much better than my DT770pro, but whan i was using my DT770 with winrip in the voice setting, the female voices sound in another level (exponentially)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Menzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After searching the forums I have yet to really see a concise opinion on which is better for trance, say Armin Van Buuren's "A State Of Trance". Would the DT880s be better or the DT990? Bass is rather noticeable with trance so would the DT990s be overpowering there? Then there are also female vocals (Seems to be a popular thing).

Need some tracks to sample to make an opinion? Or is this pretty much up to personal preference and both are more than decent enough for trance?

Reason I'm asking is because I like trance and there's a rather interesting offer for a DT880 and Crossroads Mylar combo at Jaben going on atm.

Jan 29, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #69 of 103
For trance I would buy the Ultrasone Proline 2500. If you really want the Beyers, take the DT990 Pro. If the bass is just right on the DT990's and not enough on the DT880 '05 this means not enough quality/quantity of bass is delivered to the headphones IMHO. However, I'm not against the DT990's bass but trebles, they are peaky on each music when highs appear, it's just the way they are played by those headphones. There is nothing like that in the DT990 Pro's - just well extended and clear highs. DT880's provide sweeter than the DT990 lineup midrange as well. For me, it's also important in electronic music.

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #70 of 103
Have you owned the DT990 ever...?. How can you say that the DT990 is brighter when you have the grado SR325! which is much worst in brightness/harshness...
Why you hate a lot the Beyer DT990 '05 if you doesn't had owned?
That is what i see in almost your threads.
Have a nice day

Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For trance I would buy the Ultrasone Proline 2500. If you really want the Beyers, take the DT990 Pro. If the bass is just right on the DT990's and not enough on the DT880 '05 this means not enough quality/quantity of bass is delivered to the headphones IMHO. However, I'm not against the DT990's bass but trebles, they are peaky on each music when highs appear, it's just the way they are played by those headphones. There is nothing like that in the DT990 Pro's - just well extended and clear highs. DT880's provide sweeter than the DT990 lineup midrange as well. For me, it's also important in electronic music.

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #71 of 103
The Grado highs are peaky. Grado is just as peaky as the DT990. The DT990 is smoother, and not as cliff-like around it's peaks, meaning the peak is broader. That said, the peak of the Grado is lower in frequency than the DT990, and the Grado rolls off on both ends, where the Beyer has better extension.

When I first heard the Grado line, the treble bugged me. It wasn't smooth, it was quite strident. It was like taking an EQ, boosting a frequency and dropping the 2 surrounding frequencies slightly. Every single Grado has this trait, and I am automatically drawn to it immediately. I had to focus hard to get around it, it's that bad. I have grown to appreciate it and am almost to the point of considering buying a Grado instead of listening to other people's, but I still like the DT990 better. I find a real sweet spot with the Beyer.

That same effect is played the other way with majkel, and others. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just a preference. But don't let anyone tell you that the Grados are not peaky, because they are. They are just as peaky in a different way.

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #72 of 103
The Grado's trebles are emphasized but not so piercing like in the DT990's. I don't need to own them, listening to them several times is enough for me. I agree that it's a preference standpoint but I recommend reading recent Pataburd's comments about the SR325i. I believe the euqipment suitable for the DT990's exists but these headphone don't make it easy to find one IMHO, unless your ears are insensitive to this kind of treble articulation, which is piercing and not just related to the frequency response.

Jan 30, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #73 of 103
I have the opposite opinion, FWIW. I find Grado treble intolerable (I have owned 3 pairs before, including the GS1K), whereas I have no issue with the DT990's treble (although I find the 600 ohm version much better than the 250 in this regard).

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #74 of 103
You said it better! (you forwarded/beat me). A LOT of people in this site find the grados intolerable to hear/listen for his aggressive treble... for example: Grado SR325 series, SR125, SR80, RS1 (this is warmer but is about the same too...). and the others in a little (but only) degree.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the opposite opinion, FWIW. I find Grado treble intolerable (I have owned 3 pairs before, including the GS1K), whereas I have no issue with the DT990's treble (although I find the 600 ohm version much better than the 250 in this regard).

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #75 of 103
you know, the peaks in the dt990s frequency response are higher up in the treble regions than the grados. so if you're insensitive to higher frequencies, after 12khz and up (or have slowly lost hearing), you won't mind the dt990s sound signature, as they're pretty smooth in the lower treble/upper midrange.
for me without an eq, the dt990 is unbearably bright. i've tested my hearing and can hear up to 19khz (and 20khz very faintly so i don't count that). for this reason i like the smooth senn house sound over the dt990s. somehow, the proline 750 are also slightly bright but not offending to the ears (can be sometimes with a bad recording) but no where close to as much as the dt990s.

i can imagine the 600ohm version dt990 with a warm amp such a headfive/arietta with crossfeed on would sound amazing as it would ease the sibilance quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back