Beyerdynamic DT48s and Nagra IVS using it to it's full potential
Mar 7, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #16 of 22
Judy,

Thank you for the kind words.  It is a real passion to do this.  I just try to keep really simple.  Now that I have another passion for headphones, I run everything through the phone amps.  I just got a pair of DT880 (600 OHM).  I'm running that through an old Marantz 2275 receiver.  What I really want is the Hifiman HE-5 or HE-6 headphones.  But I need to listen to those first.  I will probably go to the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest again and try them there.  I went last year and had no clue what to expect.  It was overwhelming.  

Sincerely,
Jesse 

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #18 of 22
Hey Eyedrop,

Now that they are broken in they work really well.  Sorry I can't get too technical with you.  I'm running them through my old Marantz 2275 receiver through the phone jack.  I bought this unit about 30 years ago.  I listen to live jazz recordings and they work really well with that.  For volume control I can only go to about 10 o'clock on the volume control after that it is just too loud.  I hope this helps a little.

Jesse 

Apr 23, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #19 of 22
Update:

I went to Los Angeles last week to pick up some Schoep mics at Location Sound Corp for the next concert I'm recording.  Really it was just a good excuse to go out there.  While I'm out there sometimes I stop by another rental facility called Coffee Sound.  They have an excellent consignment shop, I'm always looking for stock tape and Nagra parts.  While I was looking around I noticed their headphones and discovered a DT48 box on the top shelf, they were 200 OHM version.  I had my Sound Device 702 with me and plugged them in to listen to the playback.  It sounded great.  My other version is the 25 OHM, LOL now that I have caught the hype on headphones.  Placed them back on the shelf and started trying to get some history on the DT48's.  Come to find out they had been in the back for almost 3 years.  Since no one really buys these anymore with the standard being the Sony MDR-7506 I was able to negotiate a good price.  

When I got back to San Antonio, I was recording one of Trinity University Wind Ensemble rehearsals with the Nagra IVS to try out the DT48s.  It was unbelievable!  It is like night & day.  It matches up really well with the Nagra.  I have now retired my DT48 20 plus year old 25 OHMs. I don't know if it is just that these are new and my other was worn out.  But the sound is just fantastic.  I really like the way the cable is on the left side and it is a much lighter cable.

Between the Nagra and the Sound Device it sounds much better on the Nagra.  Now it will be just for the Nagra.  I have another headphone set for the Sound Device.  Now I'm wondering how a new 25 OHM would sound on the Nagra.  So that will be my new quest to find a new 25 OHM set. I will handle these DT48s with a little more care.  The older set was well traveled being strapped to my Porta Brace bag and thrown into overhead bins.  You know regular wear and tear getting to locations.  But they were built like a tank and held up well for what I exposed them to.  

I added a few pictures of the Symphonic Wind Ensemble concert I recorded.  Just one more concert before school ends for the spring semester.  

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #20 of 22
Nice pics, again!

Are the earcups on the new DT48-200's upside down? I don't recall seeing any DT48 with the cables going upward like that.

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #22 of 22
Hey Jpeig,

The new DT48s are wired like Other Alien mentioned. I really like the way they are on the left side and again the cable is so much lighter.  I don't feel any weight of the cable like I did with my old pair before I re-cabled them.  I will not be recabling these. 

Jesse

Users who are viewing this thread

Back