Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO vs Beats By Dre Studio?
Sep 11, 2011 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Mikesin

100+ Head-Fier
So I felt like trying out the Beats Studio to compare against my Audio Technica M50's, what I am and was looking for is 'Bass and Bass Impact', so I ordered the Beats Studio the other day and I have been using them, while I ordered these I was also looking at the DT770's Pro's, now im wondering if the two were similar in bass area and anything else I would be missing out on? Any one with experience to say which had more bass? Which has overpowering bass and what has more bass impact? I'm wondering if it was a good choice between the two for bass and which would 'rumble and shake' the cushions more?

And also before all you Beats bashers say I could have gotten much better for the money, I am far aware of this already and to be honest the Beats aren't as bad as all you say.. definitely an exaggeration.

Any comments welcome or just use the poll..

Sep 11, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 52
I would buy beats if they were 75% off the retail price.

Now Monster headphones are nice, but beats are trash

For a bassy headphone, Beyer aren't bassy at all. For some reason people think that they are, but they are just balanced.

If you want bass, go Ultrasone. Pro750 run about $225 I think. But it's best to save for the Pro900

Sep 11, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 52
The beats actually don't have that much low, low bass quantity, but they seem to be designed so the drivers move lots of air for mid-bass impact.  If the DT770 has as much bass as I hear, I'm pretty sure it would have more bass quantity than the studios, but if it has more impact, heck if I know.  I'm leaning towards no.

Sep 11, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 52

Quote:
I would buy beats if they were 75% off the retail price.

Now Monster headphones are nice, but beats are trash

For a bassy headphone, Beyer aren't bassy at all. For some reason people think that they are, but they are just balanced.

If you want bass, go Ultrasone. Pro750 run about $225 I think. But it's best to save for the Pro900

Mhm -.-, from a majority posts i have seen about the DT770 PRO's, the bass was said to be overwhelming and very bassy.. that the impact was great etc, I know all ears are subjective but seriously a lot of people rave about their bass...

Sep 11, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 52

Quote:

Mhm -.-, from a majority posts i have seen about the DT770 PRO's, the bass was said to be overwhelming and very bassy.. that the impact was great etc, I know all ears are subjective but seriously a lot of people rave about their bass...

Balanced means that the bass and highs are brought above the mids. Beyer are nice because of their detail.

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 52
I've only tried the Studios at Best Buy and it sounded horrible... I blame their music station (somewhat) because the Solo HDs sounded worse than usual as well. If the Studios is anything like the Solo HDs as far as bass goes, then definitely the Beats by Dre will have more overpowered bass and more bass impact than the DT 770 Pro. But at what cost because the DT 770 Pro is so much better than the Beats. I do agree that the Beyers sound balanced until you play bass heavy songs; that's when the bass really explodes. 

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #7 of 52
Would you say the bass of the DT770 Pro similar to the M50's? Hasn't any one compared both side by side? 

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #8 of 52
Not side by side but I got M50 after DT770 Pro and I think the DT770 Pro/80 had a little more bass but only if amped, the M50 is quite a lot easier driven. The DT770 Pro's bass extended better if my memory serves me right but neither of them very particularly punchy (DT770 lacked mid/upper bass punch/impact for my taste, M50 a bit of both) but DT770 had a little more rumbling deep subbass though, very similar kind of bass like XB700, maybe slightly weaker than so, it's just very deep bass focused, not the tightest or punchiest, quite loose, amping can help a bit, especially Gary's PA2V2 is probably a good combination with it.

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #9 of 52
Mikesin, I was exactly like you when I first purchase my Dr Dre Beat studio and Pro headphones.
I thought it sounded much better than my $15 JVC IEM and actually it was sounding better. :)

I was showing off to my friends (about 2 years ago), and I thought I had the best headphone.

Now I look back, I am laughing and regret spending money and time on Dr. Dre. 
I don't even use my Beyerdynamic DT990 after listening to my LCD2/UE8/Denon AH-D7000.

Don't worry, this is how most of audiophiles went through. 

But again it's your preference, if your ear is satisfy with Dr. Dre then who cares ? right ?

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #10 of 52
Sep 12, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #11 of 52

Quote:
Would you say the bass of the DT770 Pro similar to the M50's? Hasn't any one compared both side by side? 

Before I bought the Beyer, I demoed the 770 Pro and the M50s. They were both new headphones (unequalized) with zero hours of burn in. At that point, the bass on the M50 was no where near the 770 Pro as far as its presence and impact are concerned... which is why I ended up with the DT 770 Pro that day. 

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #12 of 52
The 770 Pro 80 has a LOT of bass.  People who say they are balanced have them confused with the Premium vesion.  i have a pair of pro 80s and a pair of premium 32 ohm.  the difference is HUGE.

The quality of the bass on  the pro 80 is well above the beats studio.  but you need a good source and probably a little extra juice to get that big deep bass out of them

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #14 of 52

Quote:
Mikesin, I was exactly like you when I first purchase my Dr Dre Beat studio and Pro headphones.
I thought it sounded much better than my $15 JVC IEM and actually it was sounding better. :)

I was showing off to my friends (about 2 years ago), and I thought I had the best headphone.

Now I look back, I am laughing and regret spending money and time on Dr. Dre. 
I don't even use my Beyerdynamic DT990 after listening to my LCD2/UE8/Denon AH-D7000.

Don't worry, this is how most of audiophiles went through. 

But again it's your preference, if your ear is satisfy with Dr. Dre then who cares ? right ?

Don't forget I do have the AKG K702's paired with my Matrix Mstage Modded when I want that prestine listening 
k701smile.gif
, and of course I find my 702's better :). But I don't always want to use them and their completely different headphones and the 702's arent exactly a pair of portables..

Also feel free to send me your pair of DT990's instead of them gathering dust
beyersmile.png
 thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back