Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - Limited Edition, 32 Ohms
Feb 25, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #273 of 679
So, I just got these in today. I don't know where I stand on the idea of burn-in honestly, but the 770 LE did not impress like I was hoping it would out of the box. At first I thought it was because I'm just spoiled listening to the HE-400s (or just used to it). But I compared them to my 20-year-old 770 PRO 600-ohm cans and they still came up short. This is both coming out of my O2 amp and directly from my MacBook Pro. The old 600-ohms required more power from both for sure, but delivered the goods better from both sources.

I'm kinda confused. I really didn't expect this.

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #274 of 679
Quote:
So, I just got these in today. I don't know where I stand on the idea of burn-in honestly, but the 770 LE did not impress like I was hoping it would out of the box. At first I thought it was because I'm just spoiled listening to the HE-400s (or just used to it). But I compared them to my 20-year-old 770 PRO 600-ohm cans and they still came up short. This is both coming out of my O2 amp and directly from my MacBook Pro. The old 600-ohms required more power from both for sure, but delivered the goods better from both sources.

I'm kinda confused. I really didn't expect this.

I could see the HE-400 beating the DT-770LE easily, but they're not really an option for me as they are extremely open. The vintage 600ohm's surprise me a bit though - Did they beat the LE in particular areas or just generally walk all over them?

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #275 of 679
Quote:
I could see the HE-400 beating the DT-770LE easily, but they're not really an option for me as they are extremely open. The vintage 600ohm's surprise me a bit though - Did they beat the LE in particular areas or just generally walk all over them?

I'm listening now and it isn't a blow-out across the board, but the bass in the old cans are more impactful. And this is plugged right into my MacBook Pro (don't have my O2 power adapter with me and it's starting to run low on battery). That's what I find weird. 600-ohm cans shouldn't have more bass in this scenario. The mids are more present in the LE comparatively, which is nice depending on the vocals in the song.

Ok, I'm gonna stop plugging in the HE-400s for comparison cause that's just blowing them both away in the low end and messing me up.

For instance, I'm listening to a few 24/96 tracks from Rush, The Antlers, and Matchbox 20 (I know, who buys HD tracks from them..). The bass drum kicks in Put Your Hands Up hits harder on the old DT770s. The long bass notes in Drift Drive resonate and sustain noticeably better on the old cans, too. Same is basically true on various tracks from Moving Pictures, although it's mastered differently than the newer albums, so the bass is different overall. But the vocals in the 770 LE are in general an improvement.

To me, the improvement in the vocals is not enough to make up for the low-end loss. I'm not very good at doing comparative headphone quality descriptions, but those are my overall thoughts so far. Basically, I keep finding myself saying "Oh, the LE's are starting to sound better! Only to realize that I still have my old pair of 770s on."

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #278 of 679
Give them a solid week of use. I don't think burn in changes things much but I had the same feeling you did the first day or two and now (having just done another A-B with my 600ohm) they are very similar to the point where I am happy with them. My main beef with them at first was the lesser refinement compared to the 600ohm (there seemed to be a grain in the mids and highs in comparison). I don't hear that nearly as much now. I still think the 600 is better but only slightly. Being able to use them portable is the reason I will keep them.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #279 of 679
I'll take your advise. It's usually better not to make quick knee-jerk decisions. The funny part is that my 600-ohm cans sound better out of my iPhone, too. The downside is I have to push the volume to 90% to properly drive them, compared to maybe 50% for the LEs.

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #281 of 679
Quote:
Are this durable/portable enough so I can cram them into my backpack inside one of these Crumpler Haven Pouches? Also, can anybody compare these to the AKG K167? The only two comparisons I've found have different opinions (AKG < Beyer or AKG > Beyer).

I carry them in my bag every day, with no worries. Adding a pouch sounds like a good idea tho...

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #284 of 679
Quote:
I haven't tried the 80, but this is the lightest clamping force of all the Beyers I've owned/tried.

Thanks. I just pulled the trigger on a pair. 

One more thing, what is the consensus on replacing the pads with velours? From what I'm reading, it looks like they decrease isolation, but do they negatively impact sound quality?

Mar 22, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #285 of 679
Quote:
Thanks. I just pulled the trigger on a pair. 

One more thing, what is the consensus on replacing the pads with velours? From what I'm reading, it looks like they decrease isolation, but do they negatively impact sound quality?

Sound gets a bit brighter with the velours to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back