Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - Limited Edition, 32 Ohms
Jan 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #181 of 679
Quote:
Are they as neutral? And...better soundstage? Really? I've heard plenty of open phones and I find it hard to believe that something closed could be much bigger than DT770s...or maybe I'm thinking wishfully (and wishing I'd saved money! 
angry_face.gif
).

They're more neutral. The treble is much less hot, the mid-bass is more recessed, and the sub-bass is more pronounced. Overall, I'd say that the K167 is a fairly neutral can. It sounds a lot (in a lot of ways) like a more intimate Q701 with bass.

The soundstage is just as big if not bigger than the DT770, IMO. I did a lot of comparison in that regard.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #186 of 679
Pretty much. I'd like to buy an HE-500 with the money.

The Q701 has a better soundstage and is more comfortable (which it is pretty much legendary for anyways), but has terrible isolation, is much harder to drive, is a lot less compact / portable, and has very recessed bass (and therefore isn't very versatile when it comes to genre).

Believe it or not, but the K167 is very close to the Q701 when it comes to detail. They're detail monsters.

By the way, I do my soundstage testing with Pink Floyd's "Money" and "On The Run". The depth of the panning on both songs will give you a great idea of just how far a headphone will go in terms of left to right separation.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #187 of 679
Quote:
Pretty much. I'd like to buy an HE-500 with the money.

The Q701 has a better soundstage and is more comfortable (which it is pretty much legendary for anyways), but has terrible isolation, is much harder to drive, is a lot less compact / portable, and has very recessed bass (and therefore isn't very versatile when it comes to genre).

Believe it or not, but the K167 is very close to the Q701 when it comes to detail. They're detail monsters.

Bumps on K/70X Q701 headband are legendary ya for sure .
redface.gif
(so for people having problem with bumps they are not  legendary confortable , unless you remove the bumps or any other mod) 

open can and big for potable use ?  they were never disigned to be used as portable  
rolleyes.gif

but i gess this is only sarcasm right ? 
tongue_smile.gif
(just joking ^^)

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #188 of 679
Quote:

Bumps on K/70X Q701 headband are legendary ya for sure .
redface.gif

open can and big for potable use ?  they were never disigned to be used as portable  
rolleyes.gif

I originally meant legendary soundstage only, but I find them to be extremely comfortable as well. I don't understand why other people make such a fuss about the bumps, I'm hard-pressed to even notice them when I'm wearing them.

For the record, this is someone who sent back the M-100, a wonderful-sounding headphone, almost entirely because they were uncomfortable to me.

In addition, it was a comparison between the Q701 and a portable headphone that sounds nearly as good. Of course I'm going to factor in portability.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #189 of 679
Quote:

Being designed for one thing still doesn't excuse them from being awful at what it wasn't designed to do, when another can performs nearly just as well sonically and has the exact same strength.

I originally meant legendary soundstage only, but I find them to be extremely comfortable as well. I don't understand why other people make such a fuss about the bumps, I'm hard-pressed to even notice them when I'm wearing them.

For the record, this is someone who sent back the M-100, a wonderful-sounding headphone, almost entirely because they were uncomfortable to me.

I agree with you for the Legendary soudstage , but many complain about bumps on the headband , as you it never bothered me so i consider them confortable as well , but many don't think so i have it in consideration .

Q701 are open cans wich mean => no isolation at all like any other open can . So you can't use a open can as portable due to lack of isolation 
tongue.gif
, when you disign an open can you have on mind that it will not be used as portable , because you simply cannot .

A DT-770 Pro LE or K167 in other hand , can be used as "portable" . As they are closed and isolate well 

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #190 of 679
Q701 are open cans wich mean => no isolation at all like any other open can . So you can't use a open can as portable due to lack of isolation 
tongue.gif
, when you disign an open can you have on mind that it will not be used as portable , because you simply cannot .

A DT-770 Pro LE or K167 in other hand , can be used as "portable" . As they are closed and isolate well 

I know how open cans work (I've had / have the HD598, the HTF-600S, and the K701). 
k701smile.gif

Speaking of the K167, the isolation on it is just insane.

Yesterday, I had these cans plugged into a mixboard while monitoring a band playing at full volume, with their amps / instruments pointed directly at me, and I could not hear them even slightly over the mix I was working on.

Today, I had to deal with bratty children screaming all around me. Simple, I just plug in my K167 and turn on my music; the outside world is dead to my ears.

The DT770 LE does this to a degree, but not quite as well because it's got vents and the K167 doesn't.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #193 of 679
The LE is definitely an upgrade to the M50. Bass is less muddy and boomy, less body but about equal impact, better mids although they are a bit more distant. The overall sound is a bit colder. The LE has more definition in treble; maybe a little more sibilant, but less splashy. Its a bit more colored than the M50, which is fairly neutral tonally. Soundstage is the biggest difference though, in fact pretty much every element of its presentation is a big step up except perhaps dynamics.

Will the dt 770 pro be an upgrade to my ath-m50's?

I got the Focal Spirit One just in the new year and well they was DOA. So i'm heading towards these pro:s instead.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #194 of 679
OK so I wasnt enjoying the balance of sound coming from these and then I noticed the pads were a little squashed at the top so I rotated them and now the balance is excellent and they sound like all the reviews have stated and not the really recessed mids sound that Iwas experiencing. They now sound more balanced - pad fit on these may be just as sensitive as the K550?

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #195 of 679
Quote:
The LE is definitely an upgrade to the M50. Bass is less muddy and boomy, less body but about equal impact, better mids although they are a bit more distant. The overall sound is a bit colder. The LE has more definition in treble; maybe a little more sibilant, but less splashy. Its a bit more colored than the M50, which is fairly neutral tonally. Soundstage is the biggest difference though, in fact pretty much every element of its presentation is a big step up except perhaps dynamics.

Alrigh, sounds to me like an ok upgrade after all. Don't have the cash for high end products and I would assume i would need a new amp for it too. 

Quote:
Dead On Arrival~~~that bad?

I have 770 Pro Limited Edition, and my brother has m50s.
LE is way better to my ear. 

Yeah well only one side played music the other dead silent. Got a refund for them so I may be able to get the LE before the weekend if I'm fast enough. That is if the money turns up in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back