Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO! 250 ohm, 32 ohm, or 80 ohms?
Mar 5, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #31 of 73

Ever wondered why the 32-ohm is more expensive, despite having the cheap synthetic pads?
The answer is efficiency. Using less power, for similar results. They use higher grade materials.

This sounded strange to me so I looked it up.  On their website they list both the 32 Ohm and 250 ohm as being 96 db sensitivity, so I think this is false and I suspect part of a misconception.  High impedance doesn't have to mean it takes more power to drive them.  What it does have to mean is it takes more voltage to produce the same amount of power in them, and not all amps are equal with respect to producing voltage.

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #32 of 73
Yes, the highs in the dt990s are more pronounced than with the dt770. But once you get used to it, you might consider this to be a good thing. I know that i sure do, but it does take a little getting used to, and the highs will calm down a little bit after a couple of days. I am not sure if this is due to burn in or if you just get used to them, though. :)

I do know that i clearly like the dt990 better than the dt770 now. But I do switch a little between dt770, dt880 and dt990 based on my mood and how engaging i want the music to be.
I consider the dt880 to be the most neutral, which is really good with classical music or if you do not want the music to be owerpowering to what you are doing. The dt770 is a little less neutral and the dt990 is not neutral at all and has the most v-shaped signature.

Wich is heavier\thicker sounding? Wich has more punch on the bass and wich is more dynamic and similar to the m50 sound?

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #33 of 73

This sounded strange to me so I looked it up.  On their website they list both the 32 Ohm and 250 ohm as being 96 db sensitivity, so I think this is false and I suspect part of a misconception.  High impedance doesn't have to mean it takes more power to drive them.  What it does have to mean is it takes more voltage to produce the same amount of power in them, and not all amps are equal with respect to producing voltage.

It could also be, that it is just a "new" product and that alone makes for a higher asking price.
And from what i can see on the US Amazon, the official Beyerdynamic pleather and velour pads actually cost the same. Both seem pretty over priced when compared to the other non-brand selections by more than double almost 3 times the price.
But I guess people just pay more to get the official pads - I know I would.

And just to get it out there, I have the dt770 32ohm with pleather, and I find them just as good as the velour ones. They are not quite as comfortable, but they offer more dampening and is just a different product all together. I don't think one is better than the other, it just comes down to preference.
And from what I have read in reviews of the dt770 32Ohms, they actually outperform some of the other Ohm variations of dt770 in some regards. This is probably just down to the pleather pads giving a slightly different seal and thus impact the sound a bit.

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #34 of 73
Wich is heavier\thicker sounding? Wich has more punch on the bass and wich is more dynamic and similar to the m50 sound?

I guess the dt770 is "heavier\thicker" in sound, as the bass is more pronounced.
The dt990 is more dynamic, alot more than the m50.

The dt770 comes closer to the m50 in sound - but the dt990 sounds better after a little getting used to. At least to my ears.
Both headphones are not really the massively different in sound and all sound is subjective.
If you really want what is best for you, you should try both headphones. Either try them in a shop or buy them from somewhere with a return policy.
If that is not an option, then the safe route would be the dt770, as the dt990 is a little too sparkly to some people.

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #35 of 73
I guess the dt770 is "heavier\thicker" in sound, as the bass is more pronounced.
The dt990 is more dynamic, alot more than the m50.

The dt770 comes closer to the m50 in sound - but the dt990 sounds better after a little getting used to. At least to my ears.
Both headphones are not really the massively different in sound and all sound is subjective.
If you really want what is best for you, you should try both headphones. Either try them in a shop or buy them from somewhere with a return policy.
If that is not an option, then the safe route would be the dt770, as the dt990 is a little too sparkly to some people.

But wouyou say the 990 is puncher than the dt770? You have the 80ohm dt770 as well rigt?

I have both the athm50x and the dt770. IMO they are both v shape but the m50x is punchier and sounds a bit fuller and more agressive on the highs and mids wich makes it very good for more agressive rock as well. I had the m50 non x and i remember that at the time i did not like the mids because eletric guitars just did not sound as agressive and powerfull as on the hd25 or even the 1st gen over ear momentums.... But now the m50x although being very close to the previous version, it is now much better in that regard and therefore more complete.

When i got the dt770 i was expecting a basshead can from all the talk on head fi but i didnt got that at all... Not that it is basslight or anything but it is definitly not as punchy as the m50x and it kind of shares that lack of mids that i mentioned with the non x m50, so imo they are not the best for more agressive rock. Not that they are lacking bit i definitly prefer the mids and highs presentation of the m50x, hd25 and momentum....

Thats why i am so curious about the 990.... Kind of wanted they filled this gap.... :) but on the other hand i am too scared.... Had a mdr v6 and a akg k550 before and those had waaaaay too mich treble for me to the point of i finding them a bit steryle... And from what i have been reading, the treble on the 990 is even more peaked.

Wich as better mids? 770 or 990?

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #36 of 73
But wouyou say the 990 is puncher than the dt770? You have the 80ohm dt770 as well rigt?

I have both the athm50x and the dt770. IMO they are both v shape but the m50x is punchier and sounds a bit fuller and more agressive on the highs and mids wich makes it very good for more agressive rock as well. I had the m50 non x and i remember that at the time i did not like the mids because eletric guitars just did not sound as agressive and powerfull as on the hd25 or even the 1st gen over ear momentums.... But now the m50x although being very close to the previous version, it is now much better in that regard and therefore more complete.

When i got the dt770 i was expecting a basshead can from all the talk on head fi but i didnt got that at all... Not that it is basslight or anything but it is definitly not as punchy as the m50x and it kind of shares that lack of mids that i mentioned with the non x m50, so imo they are not the best for more agressive rock. Not that they are lacking bit i definitly prefer the mids and highs presentation of the m50x, hd25 and momentum....

Thats why i am so curious about the 990.... Kind of wanted they filled this gap....
smily_headphones1.gif
but on the other hand i am too scared.... Had a mdr v6 and a akg k550 before and those had waaaaay too mich treble for me to the point of i finding them a bit steryle... And from what i have been reading, the treble on the 990 is even more peaked.

Wich as better mids? 770 or 990?

The dt990 has a bit more bass punch than the dt770, but the bass is accompanied by very sharp highs (very v-shaped).
The dt770 has almost as much bass as the dt990, but the highs are alot lower, which makes the bass stand out more in the sound.
It is rather difficult to explain without listening to both I think. :)
And no, I do not have the 80 Ohm DT770, I have the 32Ohm LE. But to be frank, I doubt the difference between the 32Ohm and 80Ohm is massive.

As you say, the ATH-M50x is like a more aggressive dt770. I do not have the ATH-M50x, I only have the originial ATH-M50. But from my understanding the sound of the M50 and M50x is almost identical.
And I agree that the M50 is a more aggressive and v-shaped sound than the DT770. The DT990 is even more aggressive and even more v-shaped than the M50.

Both dt770 and dt990 have recessed mids. If you want something with more mid, try the dt880. It has less bass and less highs, but that gives the mids more space in the sound to shine through.
I love listening to classical music with dt880, and some genres in metal, like funeral doom, sound really good with them.
But normal rock and metal, even though it SHOULD sound better with a neutral headphone with more mid-range, does sound better with a v-shape. The rock just gets boring and non-engaging if the bass and treble isn't boosted just a bit.

To be honest, I doubt you will find what you are looking for in this price range. All v-shaped cans will be lacking in mids, and all cans with great mid will be a bit boring due to the non v-shaped sound.
If you want something that does all of this well, you have to get a headphone with a much larger price-tag. I have heard that the newest beyerdynamic, the DT-1770 might just do this, but I haven't had time to buy it and test it myself.

Mar 5, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #37 of 73
I think to get a headphone to sound both v-shaped and flat at the same time, he would  need to equalize it with a quantum computer, so yeah, that's going to cost a bit. He should be sure to listen in very private space to ensure that nobody comes along and collapses his wave function.

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #38 of 73
The dt990 has a bit more bass punch than the dt770, but the bass is accompanied by very sharp highs (very v-shaped).
The dt770 has almost as much bass as the dt990, but the highs are alot lower, which makes the bass stand out more in the sound.
It is rather difficult to explain without listening to both I think. :)
And no, I do not have the 80 Ohm DT770, I have the 32Ohm LE. But to be frank, I doubt the difference between the 32Ohm and 80Ohm is massive.

As you say, the ATH-M50x is like a more aggressive dt770. I do not have the ATH-M50x, I only have the originial ATH-M50. But from my understanding the sound of the M50 and M50x is almost identical.
And I agree that the M50 is a more aggressive and v-shaped sound than the DT770. The DT990 is even more aggressive and even more v-shaped than the M50.

Both dt770 and dt990 have recessed mids. If you want something with more mid, try the dt880. It has less bass and less highs, but that gives the mids more space in the sound to shine through.
I love listening to classical music with dt880, and some genres in metal, like funeral doom, sound really good with them.
But normal rock and metal, even though it SHOULD sound better with a neutral headphone with more mid-range, does sound better with a v-shape. The rock just gets boring and non-engaging if the bass and treble isn't boosted just a bit.

To be honest, I doubt you will find what you are looking for in this price range. All v-shaped cans will be lacking in mids, and all cans with great mid will be a bit boring due to the non v-shaped sound.
If you want something that does all of this well, you have to get a headphone with a much larger price-tag. I have heard that the newest beyerdynamic, the DT-1770 might just do this, but I haven't had time to buy it and test it myself.

You have to try the hd25. I know its on ear and not vrry c;mfortablr but the sound signature is awesome. Imagine a m50 with better mids and more natural agressive highs with super punchy and tight bass. I like the ver much.:)

From what i read and based on what ive talked with other headfiers the 32ohm is more similar to the 250ohm version. The 80ohm is the bassier of all 770s and has the more laidback highs. Some claim the 80ohm version has the more pronounced mids (or at least less recessed) of all versions. If thats true or not.....

Its not that i do not like the my 770s.... They are indeed very confortablr and nice sounding with a few tweaks on the eq, but i definitly do not considered them bass heavy lile others (to me the m50x is bassier and punchier as i said) and since i am used to more agressive sigs like the hd25 and m50, although being v shaped, still seems lile a different flavour.... :)

Jul 13, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #40 of 73
Hey all, have you ever heard of a limited edition of the DT 770 PRO with 16 ohm? I just bought them during the Amazon Prime Day in Italy, I hope they are good as the higher ohm versions!

Here it is the official image:
http://i.imgur.com/PWHPgpN.jpg

And some details (in italian)
http://i.imgur.com/rELi2s1.png

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #41 of 73
I already have a Dt990 Premium, but will soon be getting a DT770 Pro 250 Ohm can. I enjoy my DT990 and look forward to adding the DT770 to my collection. I have only two closed back cans in the Alpha Dog and ATH-A900X LTD, the Denon AH-D7k/2k don't count, so the DT770 would be a very nice addition.

Jul 16, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #42 of 73
Just got my used DT770 250 Ohms (at ~75USD!) and while it shares the sparkly treble of the the DT990 Premium 600 Ohm, it doesn't quite have the bass of the latter. I've taken off the stock pads to give 'em a thorough washing, but I'm using a new pair of black Beyerdynamic replacement pads. Anyway, gonna spend a bit of time with it and see if I like the sound....

Jul 16, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #43 of 73
  Just got my used DT770 250 Ohms (at ~75USD!) and while it shares the sparkly treble of the the DT990 Premium 600 Ohm, it doesn't quite have the bass of the latter. I've taken off the stock pads to give 'em a thorough washing, but I'm using a new pair of black Beyerdynamic replacement pads. Anyway, gonna spend a bit of time with it and see if I like the sound....

If you compare the dt-770 to dt-990 directly, then I bet the dt-990 would win, as they are a more engaging headphone.
You can use the dt-770 for a way longer period of time before getting hearing fatigue, though.
Instead of directly comparing them, I think of the dt-770 as a toned-down version that let's you listen to music or play games for a longer period of time. :)

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #44 of 73
  If you compare the dt-770 to dt-990 directly, then I bet the dt-990 would win, as they are a more engaging headphone.
You can use the dt-770 for a way longer period of time before getting hearing fatigue, though.
Instead of directly comparing them, I think of the dt-770 as a toned-down version that let's you listen to music or play games for a longer period of time. :)

Actually, that pair of black pads affected the sound greatly, I've replaced them with the stock silver/gray pads and Yowzah, what a difference! It doesn't sound so sparkly anymore, and the bass has more impact and presence. Reminds me of the time when I'd swap the stock pads on the T50RP to a pair of Alpha pads, what a difference! Gonna try A/B'ing the pads to see if this isn't an imagined difference, now with the stock pads, the DT770 is quite......likable. 

Jul 18, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #45 of 73
Hi all,

Wanted to chime in on this.
I bought the 32 ohms a while ago, because I use them at my work laptop (unamped) and my mobile phone. As both don't have a very strong or quality amplifier, I thought this would be a good choice.
It is also stated on the box the headphones came with:

32 ohm: studio 1 star, hifi 2 stars, mobile 3 stars. 
80 ohm: studio 3 stars, hi-fi 2 stars, mobile 2 stars. 
250 ohm: studio 3 stars, hi-fi 3 stars, mobile 1-star.

I've nothing to complain about the bass and treble, although I do recognize the treble is a lot more than other brands of headphones.
I did buy the velour earpads separately afterwards, because those pleather earpads got my ears all warm. I had to sacrifice a bit of isolation for that (sometimes my office can get a bit noisy from talking people) but as soon as the music turns on, all is well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back