Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO! 250 ohm, 32 ohm, or 80 ohms?
Nov 13, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #46 of 73
Hi all;

I have a PA2V2 and love to bring it along.
but sometime I still want to slim up and just a headphone and Fiio X3 / Sansa Clip+.

by how far or what is the difference if drive the 32ohm only by x3/sansa and the 80ohm with a PA2V2 inbetween?
like heavier bass, wider soudstage.....

Thanks

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #47 of 73
Hello, 

I answer you this post, because I had the same dilemma and choose the 32 ohm version, for portability. I mainly use them for listening to electronic music music and rock. They're good for any type of music though. 
After getting them, I still had questions so I tried to test them against things like BOSE, Beats, Sony, JBL etc and even some Skulls:)). I tested them against any sort of things you can find in a normal store. They basically owned them all without question. Some of those things were 2 times the price and they all proved to be garbage.

Now, I don't know how they go against the 80 ohm model or the 250 one, but they already proved to be quite good, trashing all I threw them against. I will soon have the 990 pro 250 ohm for comparison and then maybe I'll leave you another answer. 

I use these with a Fiio E10K, as they sound much better with a dac/amp, even if they are 32 ohm. Serious headphones seem to need that, regardless of impedance (ohms). Straight out of the phone, they sound good though, straight out of PC, the sound is messy and out of a laptop, if that has a good sound card, can be decent but still if you want them to shine, you need some DAC. And that being concluded, don't think the 32 OHM is much more portable than the 80 OHM for example. If you want them both to do their best, you need a DAC anyway. So as you go up in ohm, you seem to trade flexibility over hifi, at least in theory. I say in theory, cause there are many models from AudioTechnica, Sennheiser, AKG and others, with less than 80 ohms and rated somewhat the same in quality. So, think about that. 

Also, for those noobs who think an external Soundblaster or some fancy sound card will do the trick.. forget it. They're just not good enough if you wanna listen proper music. Soundblasters are good for gaming but if you wanna listsen to music properly then again... get a DAC. There is no comparison, I've tried those too. 

So, all in all, the 32 ohm DT 770 Pro are better than any consumer headphones you can find in your store. They are better than the ATH m50x also, I've matched them against that too. So if you had a chance to listen to those, then the DT 770 / 32 are better. Better meaning better stage in particular, sounding more.. present, to say, or precise.

Now, other technical aspects of the DT 770's. They isolate well, no one will listen to what you listen and you won't hear anything else. They are comfortable, you can wear them all day long and forget them on your head. They really do look funky but cool at the same time, if that's the aspect you've always wanted :). They seem robust, well built. They're not very portable, but you can still carry them around if you want. They're not heavy.

As a recommendation, you can use equalizer APO to EQ them a bit, if they sound too shiny or somehow to you. These flat type, studio headphones may need some EQ to match your taste. Don't forget, these are supposed to be flat, true, so you got some potential to make em sound how you like.

I hope that^^ helps someone.

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #48 of 73
OK, now I'm comparing the 770 pro 32 ohm with the 990 pro 250 ohm, which just arrived.
The 990's are more detailed and brighter with details that may be overwhelming for listening if not EQed properly.
The 770 pro 32, are closer to what an average consumer is used to but clearly better than anything he/she tried, while the 990 250 ohm, sound like a step forward as details go. Every sound is tighter, detailed and precisely delivered, which for auditions may be to much ! So, if you want some really good headphones, easy to drive, go for the 770 32 ohm, they're really good but if you're a freak and don't care and wanna also buy a DAC and EQ them and so on, then go higher, for either the 80 ohm 770 or 250 ohm.

Listening to either of them 770/990/880 at 250 ohm, out of a phone is pure garbage so totally forget it. Whoever tells you they work is a complete noob.... yes they do make sounds, but you have no bass and you can only hear very good highs, which sucks. For mobile, if you wanna listen music properly then get the 32 ohm as they basically are 100% superior to the 250 ohm without an amp !!! Whoever tells you anything else is either a liar or a troll who never tried or something. Straight out of the phone or out of laptop, these 250 ohm sound non impressive. So, again, i say... if you wanna listen straight from phone, then get the 32 ohm. The 250 ohm NEED amp and 80 also. With an amp, yes the 250 ohm sound better indeed, with more details but the difference is not stellar as some may think.The 250 ohm, is clearly a better tool though for those who use them for making music. 

Listening to both, 32 ohm and 250 ohm now, I'm really impressed by the 32 ohm 770's. So easy to drive with such good sound, this is rare indeed. 

So, to sum it up, get higher ohms if you have or wanna get an amp, else go for the 32 ohm and you won't regret it.

Good luck!

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #50 of 73
  How are the 32 ohm versions of each for metal / rock?

I use the 32 ohm dt770 for metal, and they are great. They sound more fun than the dt880 250 ohm, but less fun than the dt990 250 ohm. The dt990 become tiresome after some time when listening to metal because of their highs.
In either case, the dt770 32 ohms are relatively new (2 years maybe?), and they did an amazing job with them! You will not be disappointed if you buy them for metal, including normal metal, but also technical death, grindcore, black etc.

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #51 of 73

I use the 32 ohm dt770 for metal, and they are great. They sound more fun than the dt880 250 ohm, but less fun than the dt990 250 ohm. The dt990 become tiresome after some time when listening to metal because of their highs.
In either case, the dt770 32 ohms are relatively new (2 years maybe?), and they did an amazing job with them! You will not be disappointed if you buy them for metal, including normal metal, but also technical death, grindcore, black etc.

Nice, thanks. Do you know how the DT 770 32 ohm compares with the DT 880 32 ohm?

Dec 11, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #52 of 73

Nice, thanks. Do you know how the DT 770 32 ohm compares with the DT 880 32 ohm?

770.80 over 32. 32s seem to pick up more system noise especially amped. well they dont need to be amped per se but even plugged into any source from what i can tell the higher ohm produces less system noise hiss. Maybe its my system i dont know. but i have experience with 32,80,250,not600 though

770.80 is great fun. 990.250 its open brother. 880.250/600 (apparently the best) great to see where other cans stand. Just my 2 cents, a nobody. FWIW
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #53 of 73

770.80 over 32. 32s seem to pick up more system noise especially amped. well they dont need to be amped per se but even plugged into any source from what i can tell the higher ohm produces less system noise hiss. Maybe its my system i dont know. but i have experience with 32,80,250,not600 though

770.80 is great fun. 990.250 its open brother. 880.250/600 (apparently the best) great to see where other cans stand. Just my 2 cents, a nobody. FWIW
biggrin.gif

I agree that the 32 ohms make it more susceptible to noise in the equipment. I run it through either a gaming motherboard (they have great dacs and amps nowadays) or when I'm at work through a fiio E07K. Neither of them give of a degree of system noise that I can detect.
Even though the dt990 is like an open brother to a dt770, it does have a harsher treble, which at least hurts my ears when I listen to metal for more than an hour at a time. And the dt880 (which I also have) is the better headphone, when it comes to giving a true representation of the music, and they really shine when listening to classical music in particular.
But for metal, I think the dt770 is by far the best choice. :) But i know audio is very subjective, so it might not be the case for everyone else! :p

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #54 of 73

I agree that the 32 ohms make it more susceptible to noise in the equipment. I run it through either a gaming motherboard (they have great dacs and amps nowadays) or when I'm at work through a fiio E07K. Neither of them give of a degree of system noise that I can detect.
Even though the dt990 is like an open brother to a dt770, it does have a harsher treble, which at least hurts my ears when I listen to metal for more than an hour at a time. And the dt880 (which I also have) is the better headphone, when it comes to giving a true representation of the music, and they really shine when listening to classical music in particular.
But for metal, I think the dt770 is by far the best choice. :) But i know audio is very subjective, so it might not be the case for everyone else! :p

I would think system noise would be kept to a minimum with good source,dac, and amp ofc. :p LoL, the ultimate cliche here on headfi :D. The 32s which i have experience with closed and open variants seem to be the 'same' yet it sounds different in terms of system noise (as one is open and some of the outside noise seems to distract brain from the hiss); this is all relative to the other higher ohm ones and beyerdynamic in general is of HQ so its not a major issue as it sounds. e.g. 660.32 for me doesn't need amp with samsung galaxy 2 7.0 .I can amp it, and i do with a little fiio A5 (which i believe provides up to 100mw at 16ohm, and 50 at 32, i could be wrong, please dont hold me to it) but i use it for alittle bump in bass, but really i dont need it. No system noise. But when i plug through destop amp (ocean) it can pick up little system noise from crappy lappy and tad bit of tube. This is not so on pc with 880.250 or 990.250. And absolutely zero, zero zero with dt100. I dont know why dt100 is so amazing in that regard but its great.

The reason i think the 770 doesnt bother you as much as the 990 is b/c when its closed the bass can be more impactful at lower volume than 990 which has to be cranked up to get the same or close enough bass hit and thats when it can pierce your ears. This is what i think and also from my experiences. I cant really compare all three models anyway now considered 'lower beyers' bc theyre all great. 770 hits like a rhino, 880 like a radiant peacock, and 990 a Tasmanian devil.

I'm just rambling now.... goodday'
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #55 of 73
They are good, they isolate well and I hope you read this as it's a bit late maybe.

The DT 770/32 are good for rock and any sort of music, they got deep bass and can render all details in rocks, plus having a really big sound stage for a closed back. 
I've been listening same songs with the DT 990 PR0/32 ohm and can somewhat describe you the difference between these two:

990 pro / 250 - music is more open, of course, with wider sound stage, good bass and good all over the place, nothing is left behind in your music, hard to drive, needs good juice source. With these you can feel the space in your music, better, especially if you're listening to electronic/space ambient and similar.

770 pro / 32 - really impressive big sound stage for closed cans, but of course, smaller than than that of the 990's. Somewhat more analytical than the 990's, everything is well represented in these, as well. These, of course, are easy to drive. You can hear really good music, without the need of an amp, they sound a bit darker than the 990's of course, being closed.

Some commons about both - they both, like any proper raw headphones, need some EQ to make them sound like you want. I use equalizer APO, to rape windows drivers with it so it won't rape my ears with bloated highs or mids or whatever :). You need to equalize them, just don't expect to plug these in and smile. If you want that, just go get some of those beats and be contempt with crappy sound at a premium price :). These sort needs some attention to shine.. not much, but still.

Now, lately I listen to the 990's more, but that's because they got better stage and I listen to electronic.I use the 770's, when there is no amp around or isolation is required and again I'm impressed by them every time.

So, after all that crap being said, for rock, they both are good but the 770's are clearly better. They got just enough stage to not get you dizzy and let you feel all that sound properly. The 990's bigger sound stage makes rock feel less personal and makes you dizzy. For rock, I'd always chose the 770's and for electronics and orchestra, the 990's.

So, you can chose now, unless you decide you need both :)) .. and in that case, for 990, add a proper amp.. which will at least, double your pay. 

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #56 of 73
Hi there,
I am looking for headphones for Fiio X3-II. The player is being delivered.
From the start I was choosing from DT770 and M50X. Then my choice lowed to DT770 due to very bad reviews of M50X. They say M50X class is two times lower than 770. Now I  am between and betwixt again.
I am a basshead to listen to Pop Rock and Techno. Which is the best choice and the best impedance for Fiio X3-II?

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #57 of 73
Hey Man, the 770 outclasses the m50x.the m50x is very over rated in my opinion. The 770 has a much wider soundstage and is more v shaped. It responds better to eq, as well and is not as harsh sounding. If you want something more portable, the UE 6000 is pretty decent. More fun than m50x but doesn't sound as detailed as DT 770

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #58 of 73
Yeah, I ordered DT770 80 ohm yesterday. There are people who say M50X is better, though.

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #59 of 73
Those people are traitors and heretics. It's not even close. I have done A/B with DT 770 and m50x, as well as ws1100. 770 beats them both in clarity and soundstage and comfort.

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #60 of 73
Those people are traitors and heretics. It's not even close. I have done A/B with DT 770 and m50x, as well as ws1100. 770 beats them both in clarity and soundstage and comfort.

Yes, I think so too. What do you think about Meze? They say it's two classes above 770 and cost $340.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back