Beyerdynamic DT 770/80? (Currently have ATH-M50)
Jul 19, 2011 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kds4121

New Head-Fier
I currently own the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and the Sennheiser HD555 (modded), and I'm going off to college soon. I have around $150 to spend, and I want opinions on whether or not it would be worth it to get the Beyerdynamic DT 770's or not. 
Also, if you can, I'd appreciate if you could list the differences between the M50's and the DT770's.
Thanks so much in advance! 

I listen to a lot of pop, electronic/dance/techno, and rock. Recently a lot of stuff on the radio (think top of iTunes)

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 5
With only $150 to spend... don't do it. These headphones only shine with a decent amp (no, not a Fiio E5). What intrigues you about the DT770 may I ask? If it is bass for those genres, I would highly consider the Audio Technica Pro700 MK2. It is like a refined M50 but the bass is ramped up like none other, without an amp too.

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
With only $150 to spend... don't do it. These headphones only shine with a decent amp (no, not a Fiio E5). What intrigues you about the DT770 may I ask? If it is bass for those genres, I would highly consider the Audio Technica Pro700 MK2. It is like a refined M50 but the bass is ramped up like none other, without an amp too.

+1 pro700 MK2

Beyer are more like Grado and best for rock with low bass

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
I currently own the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and the Sennheiser HD555 (modded), and I'm going off to college soon. I have around $150 to spend, and I want opinions on whether or not it would be worth it to get the Beyerdynamic DT 770's or not. 
Also, if you can, I'd appreciate if you could list the differences between the M50's and the DT770's.

I listen to a lot of pop, electronic/dance/techno, and rock. Recently a lot of stuff on the radio (think top of iTunes)

Heya,

Based on what you have and listen to, I wouldn't spend more on the DT770 Pro 80's. They're excellent headphones but they're not a massive jump over what you already have except in the bass department (and comfort department too actually). I would actually suggest a different Beyer. Try to find a used DT990 32ohm for example. It will have a good low end for your bassy stuff, but still have a very good mid and high range for everything else. Sound stage is good too. It's open-air. Could get one used for $200 (I saw one just the other day floating in the sale forum). That would be a jump away from what you already have for the money (and your M50's could become your portable set).

Alternatively, check out the Grado SR225i's. They're not super bassy, but they're more bassy than SR60's and SR80's while still having that great Grado signature.

Very best,

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:

If you don't have an amp already or don't plan on buying one very soon than don't buy the Beyerdynamics because these things are a beast to drive. Even at the lower 32ohm version they're still going to need some type of amp to shine and for the money you're paying for them it doesn't seem worth the investment when the 600ohm is better and not a whole lot harder to drive from the 250ohm. I agree with MalVeauX, however, that the DT990 might be more suited to your taste. You could also try to swing for a used pair of Denon ADH2000 if you want something more fun and punchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back