Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Oct 30, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #4,456 of 4,782
Congratulations. But I did not understand the last sentence: do you mean 900 sound far superior to the 1990s?
Maybe this is the reason why panvarox asks if you did check out the analytical pads.
I did not test the new version of balanced pads, but five years ago these were waste of time, at least for me. I had to change them back after a short listening session.
a>b pads
Balanced pads sound muddy (to me).
Have you checked new (post 2021) balanced pads? For me they are just a little bit smoother than analytical. They have nice balance (as the name suggests) :D

I got direct confirmation from Beyerdynamic that they were changed.

Oct 30, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #4,457 of 4,782
Have you checked new (post 2021) balanced pads? For me they are just a little bit smoother than analytical. They have nice balance (as the name suggests) :D

Interesting information, yes, I like the sound with the balanced pad as is. My SNR is 99132, fairly recent production I would guess.

Oct 30, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #4,458 of 4,782
Double post

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #4,459 of 4,782

Thanks for reminding me testing them. I did not test them so far. Did they provide you with further information?
But as far as you described their impact, testing them is worth trying!

(I thought about saving any money investing in audio to buy a ah-d9200. Another member confirmed, the stage of this closed Headphone is significantly more narrow than 1990s, which I would miss very much!)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #4,460 of 4,782
The DT 1990 Pro sounds better than I expected, and I'm fully happy, aside from sound it's built like a tank. Which can't be said about many of the so called HiFi-cans.

And all parts are replaceable. Also, fairly easy to drive, sounds louder than the 990 Pro at the same volume both are 250 Ohm. Can be enjoyed for many years, long after all the Hifiman cans have fallen apart.

I will probably buy a planar and an electrostatic sometime in the future, out of curiosity, not for lack of sound quality. I'm fine.

I have one can with the Foster bio-cellulose driver, the Aurvana Live, it's a fun driver for sure. Very dynamic. I can reckon it will do fine in a more high-end housing. Not even close to DT1990 Pro in resolution though.

Oct 30, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #4,461 of 4,782
Thanks for reminding me testing them. I did not test them so far. Did they provide you with further information?
But as far as you described their impact, testing them is worth trying!

(I thought about saving any money investing in audio to buy a ah-d9200. Another member confirmed, the stage of this closed Headphone is significantly more narrow than 1990s, which I would miss very much!)
Those new balanced pads differ from old ones only in the foam department. Basically they are filled with softer foam just like analytical pads. Because of that not only they are comfier, but also midrange isn't as recessed and hollow, soundstage improves quite a bit and bass isn't overdone like before.

But for anyone that liked old balanced pads sound - they are the same pads as T1v2, so get those instead of DT1990 balanced fitted with soft foam.

Oct 30, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #4,462 of 4,782
Those new balanced pads differ from old ones only in the foam department. Basically they are filled with softer foam just like analytical pads. Because of that not only they are comfier, but also midrange isn't as recessed and hollow, soundstage improves quite a bit and bass isn't overdone like before.

But for anyone that liked old balanced pads sound - they are the same pads as T1v2, so get those instead of DT1990 balanced fitted with soft foam.
Having owned both the older DT 1990 and the T1v2, I found the pads are not the same.

Oct 30, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #4,463 of 4,782

Very interesting, I will definitely buy them. I am not only curious but now also quite confident, that ordering them is worth the price.
Paired with the fact that these headphones are constructed and durable as heaven - marvelous!
Even sound stage gets a bit wider…

Nov 8, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #4,464 of 4,782
Been enjoying a lot of Electronica today, not normally my cup of tea but the 1990 Pro shows its colors as a higher end studio can and makes the genre really enjoyable!

Nov 18, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #4,465 of 4,782
I've been swapping pads around and the Dekoni Suede with the DT1990 made me laugh out loud how much bass there is, it's really interesting how much they change the sound.

I then tried the Dekoni suedes on the DT770 which are fully closed and it works well. The seal, isolation and short term comfort is better with the Dekoni suedes and the pads really feel at home on the DT770.

The DT770 pads have a lot of small holes in the rear of the pad compared the the DT1990 Analytical (4 holes) or Balanced pads (20 holes), and also give a lot more bass than the Balanced pads on the DT1990, similar to the Dekoni suedes but a touch less. They're both pushing the limit of bass for my preference but could be an option for those wanting an ultra bass heavy DT1990. I think the Balanced pads are excellent, but may try modifying a set of DT pads to aim for a sweet spot between the Balanced and DT770 pads, and would also like to try the Dekoni velours at some point.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #4,466 of 4,782
I bought a DT1990 for my father for christmas for studio use and really do like the sound. I actually enjoy them A LOT with my tube amp, it takes the aggressiveness out, enhances the soundstage a bit and makes them very enjoyable! Since i haven't found a perfect match closed pair of headphones for me yet and saw a DT1770 on classified for a great deal i bought them. I am very excited.

Dec 1, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #4,467 of 4,782
I bought a DT1990 for my father for christmas for studio use and really do like the sound. I actually enjoy them A LOT with my tube amp, it takes the aggressiveness out, enhances the soundstage a bit and makes them very enjoyable! Since i haven't found a perfect match closed pair of headphones for me yet and saw a DT1770 on classified for a great deal i bought them. I am very excited.

If you could please let us know how the DT1770 are, especially in comparison to the DT1990.

After having only the DT770 for many years I caught the upgrade bug this year and tried a few sets... now everytime I listen to the DT1990 I'm thinking it's so close to perfect there's no real need for anything else, except for a similar closed back for when the environment demands it.

Dec 3, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #4,468 of 4,782
Everything evaluated on the Feliks Echo MKII (it takes the aggressiveness out and enhances the soundstage so i can enjoy them and not be forcefully fed details), the DT1990 with analytical pads and the DT1770 with leather pads.

Neither of them are too aggressive on the tube amp (for me) that i can't enjoy them.
The biggest differences:
DT1990 has more clarity, 100%.
Soundstage of the DT1990 is bigger (DUH!).
Bass is much more present on the DT1770, thankfully it never bleeds into the mids because of the sudden drop at 170ish Herz. It's more controlled on the DT1990 and has more quality but way less quantity. Sometimes the DT1770 bass sounds a tiny bit muffled, i hate to say it. It's just that it's boosted and doesn't have the insane clarity of a higher end planar, so it doesn't seem that see-through. On the other hand it also sounds more fun in that regard compared to the DT1990.
I feel like with the DT1990 nothing is the focus, maybe the highs, but you almost retain equal clarity across the board.
The DT1770 focuses on the bass, no questions asked. The highs are still sparkly and the mids and voices are clear, but you can't ignore the bass and the rumble. The rumble is strong. Both headphones have very good impact and slam in the bass, but the DT1770 just has a ton more.
In bass-less passages / songs the difference is not huge, mostly clarity and a bit soundstage.
Female vocals with guitars sound amazing with both of them and similiar, i still prefer them on the DT1990 (because of said clarity).
But then you hear Yosi Horikawa's Starlings and the H.P. Lovecraft alien presence from the bass just makes you suffocate with the DT1770, with the DT1990 is's just "yeah ok, there's the monster, but it's not scary". Here the DT1770 is such a great experience.

Who wins? Hmmm, hard to say. You may have to judge yourself, if you want good isolation there's no question about that. If you want fun, again, no question, for more balanced neutrality you take the DT1990, also no question.
In overall sound quality i would say the DT1990 wins, it has more clarity and more details.
I'm also not sure how you would mix with these bass canons, but that's a different story.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #4,469 of 4,782
For all the ones enjoying 1990 but miss a bit of bass punch and bass clarity (definition?) and don't want to buy or use other headphones because of all the great features 1990s provide, I can tell from my own experience, a decent headphone amplifier can add bass punch and bass clarity. I know, there are many opinions about if a headphone amplifier may improve or support headphone abilities, but if you are able to make a decent deal, just try it.

I know it's not the holy Grail of audio and I (would have) really liked to test Feliks echo and definitely will buy the D9200 one day/ASAP, but it's much/a lot about options.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #4,470 of 4,782
a decent headphone amplifier can add bass punch and bass clarity
Agreed, and it can also add a bit more dynamics if the current amp / combo unit you're using doesn't push it enough. I found this out with my DT-770s (250 ohm) as well, but it applies to the DT-1990s too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back