Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Dec 14, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #4,486 of 4,790
hI, I have DT 770 PRO 250 OHM, and I really like the sound, I don't notice excessive sibilance and brightness. I would like to switch to the 1990s, how do they compare in terms of high frequencies to the 770s?
Thanks
They are more detailed and sharp. I hear more sibilance on the DT1990 then the DT770, or rather, on badly recored tracks I hear it more. The DT1990 is great for classical music, and for me, especially important, for symphonic heavy metal. (you can likley guess my age by the my last statement :)

It is a upgrade no doubt, and also a endgame headphone... funny but true :)

Dec 14, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #4,487 of 4,790
They are more detailed and sharp. I hear more sibilance on the DT1990 then the DT770, or rather, on badly recored tracks I hear it more. The DT1990 is great for classical music, and for me, especially important, for symphonic heavy metal. (you can likley guess my age by the my last statement :)

It is a upgrade no doubt, and also a endgame headphone... funny but true :)

Thank you, I listen to classical, jazz and acoustic rock, age wise, I'm 53, so high frequencies should probably no longer concern my ears.... :dt880smile:

Dec 14, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #4,488 of 4,790
Thank you, I listen to classical, jazz and acoustic rock, age wise, I'm 53, so high frequencies should probably no longer concern my ears.... :dt880smile:
Well :) your wellcome

Also, even if you have some hearing loss, age related or otherwise, then there is great news.
The loundness curve does really not care, so to say...

Her we can see someone who has hearingloss at over 800hz. Yet at 80db your hearing is just fine. So when listening at lounder volumes, you would infact still hear the same frequencies as a 20 year old :)

As we age, it just takes more to move them Cochlear hair cells....

1671020035386.png

For refrence: - a normal loundness curve
1671020540253.png

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/most-useful-diagram-of-hearing-loss.26779/

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #4,490 of 4,790
Thank you, very interesting. So it depends on the listening volume?
Yep...

You if you have hearing loss, say a null at 6k from riding motorcycles for 20 years without hearing protection, then you don't need a hearing aid to hear the full frequency in music.

You only need to EQ or use a hearing aid, when you listed at a low volume.

As for EQ, try looking up what "loudness compensation" is...

The loudness curve is also one of the main reasons why people argue how much bass and treble headphones should have, kinda forgetting that the lounder you listen, the more bass and treble you hear compared to the mids :)

So again, as stated in the first line, it all depends on volume.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #4,491 of 4,790
Thank you, very interesting. So it depends on the listening volume?
Oh, before I forget. If you what to do a small experiment.. :)

Then download for you know some frequency generator app.

Now set it to say, 1000 Hz and turn on the sound.

Now lower the volume on you pone on till you can't hear the tone.

Now do the same 16000hz or 18000...

Notice now at what level the volume is at 16000hz, when you can't hear the tone. It's alot higher then at 1000hz :wink:

So the conclusion is, that you in fact can hear 18000hz, but only at higher volumes :)

Dec 16, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #4,492 of 4,790
hI, I have DT 770 PRO 250 OHM, and I really like the sound, I don't notice excessive sibilance and brightness. I would like to switch to the 1990s, how do they compare in terms of high frequencies to the 770s?
Thanks

I used the DT770 for around 10 years as my sole headphone and never found the highs painful either. The DT1990 sound more transparent all round, including the high frequencies, they are bright but ime without stepping over the line. When I first tried the DT1990 they sounded harsh on one instrument in one track and I thought 'oh this is what people talk about', but since then they've sounded smooth as silk. I didn't put many hours on them so brain or phsyical burn in must happen quite quickly sometimes.

They are a great upgrade from the DT770, infact everything I loved about the DT770s - detail, bass, imaging and soundstage, vastly improves with the 1990, with an additional beautiful airyness/space to the sound. You'll probably prefer the balanced pads over the analytical as the bass is more emphasised with a warmer sound, while retaining the airyness. The DT770 pads with the DT1990 turns them into darker bass cannons, which still keep a decent amount of detail and space.

If you pick them them up let us know. :)

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #4,493 of 4,790
Hey guys, I'm coming from a tygr which I love but I gotta get them repaired, and of course in the meantime I found a pair of used 1990s for $300. Is this a good upgrade?

I love the tygr's vshape sound and the bass presence since I use them for movies and singleplayer games. I can also wear them all day long with 0 fatigue but there are times where the highs get just a little too much like this track, but nothing where I gotta take them off.

I'm currently using dekoni elite velours and I hear you can sort of tame the treble peak with those specific pads and the tygr foam discs. You guys think I should still bite?

edit: Also how is the isolation? I prefer/need as little isolation as possible and reading comments like this and the fact that the 1990s are indeed way more closed than other open backs kind of deter me away. I even returned my X2HRs partly because I felt they isolated too much.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #4,494 of 4,790
Hey guys, I'm coming from a tygr which I love but I gotta get them repaired, and of course in the meantime I found a pair of used 1990s for $300. Is this a good upgrade?

Download Poweramp equalizer for Android :) or Equalizer APO for windows.

With Poweramp, turn on parametric EQ in settings and add the following:

4000hz +2.0db Q2
7500hz -2.5db Q5
8300hz -4.4db Q5

This will add some clarity to vocals, and remove that harsh peak. It will still sound like a Beye, but it will just be that 10 procent better and really make it shine.

If you want abit more bass, wider soundstage, add some Deconi pads (velur elite), and you have a "end game sound".

I tried to be a "purist", and not cheat by not EQ'ing... but it's kinda hard when you first hear how nice it becomes when that Sssszzzzzzz is gone and the 2db boost at 4k make vocals pop like a HD650 :)

Dec 21, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #4,496 of 4,790
edit: Also how is the isolation? I prefer/need as little isolation as possible and reading comments like this and the fact that the 1990s are indeed way more closed than other open backs kind of deter me away. I even returned my X2HRs partly because I felt they isolated too much.
Regarding isolation... Here are some pix of the cups from the inside. It is a SEMI OPEN headphone. That's why it has the bass that is has. If it were fully open then the bass would not be flat. - look at some of my measurements about 15-20 pages back.

For all practical purposes, it's just as a open headphone, - very much like the X2HR

Also read the others comments regarding the highs. Not everyone agrees with me regarding the highs.

To make a long story short. It's a studio headphone. It's bloody good. Much more expensive headphones are not going to be better, - just different. YMMW

IMG_20221221_193700594.jpg

IMG_20221221_193649433.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #4,498 of 4,790
Finally bit the bullet, either I'm deaf, have a lot of earwax, or I simply don't find it nearly as piercing or sibilant as I was expecting. I don't think I'll even need my tygr's foam discs--I'm in love.

Hello.
To listen at rather low volume, is the DT1990 a good tool or should I look for another headphone at the same price level?
Thanks!

I'm no expert so cmiiw but I do believe one advantage of bright headphones like these are that you can listen to them at lower volumes while still maintaining details/clarity.

Feb 12, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #4,500 of 4,790

Users who are viewing this thread

Back