Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Feb 9, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #3,797 of 4,790
Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #3,798 of 4,790
Just joined the club. It’s scary just how close this gets to the HD800 (provided you fit the “analytical” pads and use a decent tube amp).

Feb 11, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #3,799 of 4,790
How about soundstage and instrument separation?
I've dt 1990 and would like to try the hd 800

Feb 11, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #3,800 of 4,790
Based on what I’ve heard tonight (and comparing with various memories of the HD800, which is not terribly scientific), I’d say that gains are likely to be marginal. I don’t think they will retrieve more detail.

Feb 11, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #3,801 of 4,790
System: Pro-Ject CD Box RS2T, Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 24, Opera Consonance Cyber 20 (Audio Note copper foil coupling caps, Telefunken ECC82, 1970 Tungsram EL84s). All cables are by Nordost.

Feb 13, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #3,802 of 4,790
My order of the Amiron Wireless / Tygr 300R driver covers came in today. :joy:

I like what they do for the tuning. With these, I can use the Analytic pads w/o any need for EQ. Finally. Ran my usual test tracks that make me want to stab out my ears from sibilance, and now they're fine. Still has that bright treble, but it takes the edge off. Also will boost the bass levels a touch. (About +.5 dB)

With my Elite Hybrids, I needed to adjust for the new tuning, using less bass enhancement. (100-300 Hz) There was some bloat with the old settings.

Another nice bonus was in impact and soundstaging. I use Billy Joel's "Downeaster Alexa" to test this. They use percussion to simulate the waves of the sea, so you get a sense of rocking from left to right, and back. The illusion is very apparent on my Sony's, but never could get it well on the DT-1990. Now it's there, and I'm very pleased.

Well done, BeyerDynamic, on these. Well done.

Feb 13, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #3,803 of 4,790
My order of the Amiron Wireless / Tygr 300R driver covers came in today. :joy:

I like what they do for the tuning. With these, I can use the Analytic pads w/o any need for EQ. Finally. Ran my usual test tracks that make me want to stab out my ears from sibilance, and now they're fine. Still has that bright treble, but it takes the edge off. Also will boost the bass levels a touch. (About +.5 dB)

With my Elite Hybrids, I needed to adjust for the new tuning, using less bass enhancement. (100-300 Hz) There was some bloat with the old settings.

Another nice bonus was in impact and soundstaging. I use Billy Joel's "Downeaster Alexa" to test this. They use percussion to simulate the waves of the sea, so you get a sense of rocking from left to right, and back. The illusion is very apparent on my Sony's, but never could get it well on the DT-1990. Now it's there, and I'm very pleased.

Well done, BeyerDynamic, on these. Well done.
Nice to hear that it works well with the hybrid pads.

Feb 13, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #3,804 of 4,790
I'm the proud owner of a recently acquired DT 1990 Pro. Previously sticking mostly to IEMs with an IER Z1R & Andromeda S connected to a iFi XDSD.

For the 1990 Pro I switched almost immediately to the A pads which to my ear EQ'd with Harman. Waaay better. Simple setup connected to my Topping E30 -> Topping A50S. Loving the sound!

As my journey with full size headphones begins I'm looking to find out several things along the way.

1. How do I improve the current setup. E.g. Pads, cables, etc

2. The upgrade path. E.g. DAC, AMP, Headphones. Or perhaps even a side grade path, like going into planar with the Arya's. I do have an Audeze Mobius but I have to say I find the current setup with the 1990 much more pleasant to listen to.

3. Gaming and movies. I dont care for competitiveness. I care for impact, bass and really immersive listening. Like im in the middle of it all with the ground shaking effect and all :) in particular what id like to find is if the 1990 can deliver, if I should be looking into other headphones, how to connect it with current setup, if it makes sense to add a creative g6 to the chain only for its surround output, etc.

Lots of routes to explore. I'm excited 😁

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #3,805 of 4,790
I'm the proud owner of a recently acquired DT 1990 Pro. Previously sticking mostly to IEMs with an IER Z1R & Andromeda S connected to a iFi XDSD.

For the 1990 Pro I switched almost immediately to the A pads which to my ear EQ'd with Harman. Waaay better. Simple setup connected to my Topping E30 -> Topping A50S. Loving the sound!

As my journey with full size headphones begins I'm looking to find out several things along the way.

1. How do I improve the current setup. E.g. Pads, cables, etc

2. The upgrade path. E.g. DAC, AMP, Headphones. Or perhaps even a side grade path, like going into planar with the Arya's. I do have an Audeze Mobius but I have to say I find the current setup with the 1990 much more pleasant to listen to.

3. Gaming and movies. I dont care for competitiveness. I care for impact, bass and really immersive listening. Like im in the middle of it all with the ground shaking effect and all :) in particular what id like to find is if the 1990 can deliver, if I should be looking into other headphones, how to connect it with current setup, if it makes sense to add a creative g6 to the chain only for its surround output, etc.

Lots of routes to explore. I'm excited 😁
Get a amp with more power and dekoni elite velours with the amiron wireless foam disc

You dont need to add a g6 for surround you can use the hesuvi plaugin for apo eq

Feb 13, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #3,806 of 4,790
Get a amp with more power and dekoni elite velours with the amiron wireless foam disc

You dont need to add a g6 for surround you can use the hesuvi plaugin for apo eq

You don't think the topping A50S is enough for the DT 1990 Pros? It's like a mini A90. Driving these Headphones doesn't seem too difficult?

Not easy to find the dekoni elites, but if I do ill definitely jump on them.

Thanks for the advice!

Feb 13, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #3,807 of 4,790
You don't think the topping A50S is enough for the DT 1990 Pros? It's like a mini A90. Driving these Headphones doesn't seem too difficult?

Not easy to find the dekoni elites, but if I do ill definitely jump on them.

Thanks for the advice!
Sry i didn't see that i thought your power it of the idsd. The a50 is perfectly fine

Where do you live i know some places in europe for dekoni

Feb 13, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #3,809 of 4,790

Users who are viewing this thread

Back