Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jan 2, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #3,766 of 4,790
I didn't like at all the Beyer 1990s at lower volumes, I had to increase the volume to mid levels to make them really shine. At low volumes they sound veiled.
Not sure they sound "veiled" - just a little sluggish. But almost all dynamic cans sound sluggish to me compared to my old 880's and 931's.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #3,768 of 4,790
Are these a good pair of cans to upgrade to? My current setup is in my signature.
They are better than 250Ω DT770s, the only downside is that they are heavier and tighter on the head. Beyerdynamic 'pro' headphones are all exceptional value for money in my opinion. I think you would find them a good upgrade, so long as you are not looking for something that is tailored to have a 'nice' tonality, DT1990s have a neutral 'studio' sound.

Jan 7, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #3,770 of 4,790
How big of a difference/upgrade is the dt1990 pro open from the dt990 600ohm?
I see lots of glowing reviews everywhere. I know there are some places complaining of sibilance but I imagine it wouldn't be worse than the 990 since that is sibilant at times but rarely unpleasant.

Jan 7, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #3,771 of 4,790
I see lots of glowing reviews everywhere. I know there are some places complaining of sibilance but I imagine it wouldn't be worse than the 990 since that is sibilant at times but rarely unpleasant.

"Sibilant at times but rarely unpleasant" is exactly how I would describe the DT 1990s, but to my ears the 1990 has better balance through the mids and a more 'complete' sonic package.

Jan 7, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #3,772 of 4,790
I didn't like at all the Beyer 1990s at lower volumes, I had to increase the volume to mid levels to make them really shine. At low volumes they sound veiled.
Your amp might not have enough power. I found the same thing on my DT1770s but I realized I wasn't driving my amp hard enough. Not exactly the same cause but the conclusion applies, I believe.

Jan 7, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #3,773 of 4,790
I know this reply is late, but can you give me an example of this? Thank you.
glasses.jpg

As you can see here, the part that wraps around the ear is flat, and not overly thick.. Many stems have a bulging end, to help hold the frames better.

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #3,774 of 4,790
I have no idea why, but I find the DT1990 to have bothersome sibilance with TV/movies, but I rarely notice it with music.

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #3,776 of 4,790
Same amp and DAC for both?
Yes same streamer/DAC and amp. Music is mostly Qobuz via BubbleUPnP, video is from an iPad using AirPlay.

I used the DT1990s with the headphone jack on my TV a couple of times, and didn't register sibilance to be much of a problem then, but I bought these headphones for my bedroom system, I haven't used them much with my other gear.

Jan 8, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #3,777 of 4,790
Your amp might not have enough power. I found the same thing on my DT1770s but I realized I wasn't driving my amp hard enough. Not exactly the same cause but the conclusion applies, I believe.
My DAC/AMP is an Asus Xonar Essence One. I have the windows volume at 80 %, using foobar with lossless FLAC library and an ASIO codec. I always (with all my headphones) use the pot volume at 8-9 o'clock (sometimes I reach 12 o'clock with my Senn HD 800 on certain albums). With DT 1990 Pro I had to increase just a little to sound properly, but, for example, with T 1 rev3 I put the AMP at lowest volume and with some albums the music still sounded loud.

If I tried to decrease the volume with the DT 1990 Pro I couldn't enjoy my music properly, it's lacked body.

Jan 8, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #3,778 of 4,790
My DAC/AMP is an Asus Xonar Essence One. I have the windows volume at 80 %, using foobar with lossless FLAC library and an ASIO codec. I always (with all my headphones) use the pot volume at 8-9 o'clock (sometimes I reach 12 o'clock with my Senn HD 800 on certain albums). With DT 1990 Pro I had to increase just a little to sound properly, but, for example, with T 1 rev3 I put the AMP at lowest volume and with some albums the music still sounded loud.

If I tried to decrease the volume with the DT 1990 Pro I couldn't enjoy my music properly, it's lacked body.
Windows Volume at 80% : By doing this you cap your dynamic output range. Set to 100% and use your amp's volume control.

Jan 8, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #3,779 of 4,790
Windows Volume at 80% : By doing this you cap your dynamic output range. Set to 100% and use your amp's volume control.
I do that because (if at 100%) sometimes I notice the volume loud even if I'm at the lowest volume my AMP allows... (I know that the ideal is to have at 100 %) * I live in an ultra-quiet place.

Jan 8, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #3,780 of 4,790
I do that because (if at 100%) sometimes I notice the volume loud even if I'm at the lowest volume my AMP allows... (I know that the ideal is to have at 100 %) * I live in an ultra-quiet place.
It helps to have an amp with several Gain Level settings, like the Topping A90. The option to set L/M/H Gain allows the output of the source to be @ 100% and not overwhelm many IEM / headphones.

It also helps to have a DAC - Topping D90 MQA, Pre Mode - that has its own variable output Level adjustment. Even set to L Gain on the A90 some IEMs / Headphones are too loud at the D90 Full 00.0dB output.

I run the PC source OS / App volume at 100% and reduce the D90 Gain -3dB to -15dB depending on the sensitivity of the IEM / Headphone.

Reducing the DAC output is far more effective in reducing the output level to the IEM / Headphone than reducing the PC system or application volume level.

Does your DAC output have variable output level tuning available?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back