Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jan 8, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #3,781 of 4,790
I do that because (if at 100%) sometimes I notice the volume loud even if I'm at the lowest volume my AMP allows... (I know that the ideal is to have at 100 %) * I live in an ultra-quiet place.
Then the unit isn't detecting your impedance correctly and the gain is too high. When I did QA testing on it at Asus, I tested with my HD-580 (300ohm) and a set of gamer headphones we sold at the time which were 32 ohm. So something is up.

Just a FYI: modern headphone gear has improved both in quality and price since those were sold. You may want to consider replacing it.

Jan 9, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #3,782 of 4,790
My DAC/AMP is an Asus Xonar Essence One. I have the windows volume at 80 %, using foobar with lossless FLAC library and an ASIO codec. I always (with all my headphones) use the pot volume at 8-9 o'clock (sometimes I reach 12 o'clock with my Senn HD 800 on certain albums). With DT 1990 Pro I had to increase just a little to sound properly, but, for example, with T 1 rev3 I put the AMP at lowest volume and with some albums the music still sounded loud.

If I tried to decrease the volume with the DT 1990 Pro I couldn't enjoy my music properly, it's lacked body.
For one thing you should be setting your sources at 100% and controlling the volume with your amp. You're under-driving your sound card and that is going to make things worse.

And it's not only about loudness, if the amp doesn't have enough of the right kind of power it will not drive high impedance dynamics well.

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #3,783 of 4,790
I listen to tunes with electric guitars in them almost exclusively, and I want them to be the focus, I want them to have energy and I want to hear them scream. I think I'm not treble sensitive in the least because with everything I hear, I feel like it's rolled off. Tried the Sundara, which is WAY too laidback for me, tried the SRH1540 which sounds absolutely euphoric on a lot of stuff, but has scooped mids that kill some mixes outright, and I've been daily driving the HD598 for about 10 years and they're great but I'm looking for something with a little more resolution (there's a grain in these cans I never noticed until I heard the SRH1540) and a bit more aggression. Do you guys reckon the 1990s will do the trick?

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #3,785 of 4,790
I listen to tunes with electric guitars in them almost exclusively, and I want them to be the focus, I want them to have energy and I want to hear them scream. I think I'm not treble sensitive in the least because with everything I hear, I feel like it's rolled off. Tried the Sundara, which is WAY too laidback for me, tried the SRH1540 which sounds absolutely euphoric on a lot of stuff, but has scooped mids that kill some mixes outright, and I've been daily driving the HD598 for about 10 years and they're great but I'm looking for something with a little more resolution (there's a grain in these cans I never noticed until I heard the SRH1540) and a bit more aggression. Do you guys reckon the 1990s will do the trick?
DT-1990 + Analytic pads would give you what you are looking for.

Jan 19, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #3,786 of 4,790
DT-1990 + Analytic pads would give you what you are looking for.

Agreed. I listen to a lot of rock/hard rock/metal/etc and the 1990s have a precision to their tonality, which does lean a bit bright, that makes electric guitars pop. I also like the HE-500 since it makes things a bit chunkier and hefty while retaining a precise edge, but depending on your preference you may not want that bit of warmth.

Jan 19, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #3,787 of 4,790
It helps to have an amp with several Gain Level settings, like the Topping A90. The option to set L/M/H Gain allows the output of the source to be @ 100% and not overwhelm many IEM / headphones.

It also helps to have a DAC - Topping D90 MQA, Pre Mode - that has its own variable output Level adjustment. Even set to L Gain on the A90 some IEMs / Headphones are too loud at the D90 Full 00.0dB output.

I run the PC source OS / App volume at 100% and reduce the D90 Gain -3dB to -15dB depending on the sensitivity of the IEM / Headphone.

Reducing the DAC output is far more effective in reducing the output level to the IEM / Headphone than reducing the PC system or application volume level.

Does your DAC output have variable output level tuning available?
No, Asus Xonar Essence One is a DAC/AMP and doesn't have a gain selector or something like that. I'm saving to buy another DAC/AMP :relaxed:

I have put the windows volume at 100 % and lowed the volume level with the volume pot. That is something I can do with a closed can, but with open ones I will disturb my family.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #3,788 of 4,790
I have noticed some sound improvement by raising the windows volume at 100 %, thank you for the advice...

Although I love my new Denon 9200 headphones, I still miss the 1990 Pro for melodic/symphonic metal and symphonic rock... I hope to re-buy them soon :relaxed: :L3000:

Jan 22, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #3,790 of 4,790
Anyone have the custom can version of the 1990? What are the improvements like? (more bass slam and less hot treble?)
I have swapped out the stock pads for some Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads. (I also have the Velours) They do tone down the treble spike a bit, and also have a passive bass boost, thanks to the sheepskin leather on the cups. They're also super comfy. I paired this with some EQ work and tubes to make teh sound very similar to the Analytic pad sound signature, but keeping the bass boost.

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #3,791 of 4,790
I have the fenestrated elite sheepskin from dekoni for sale, in fact I am selling the whole pack of Dt1990pro + all earpads (stock+Dekoni) and a silver cable in this forum. Just in case someone is interested.

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #3,792 of 4,790
Does anybody knows where I can find a new set of B pads?
Is there any non OEM pad that sounds the same or can increase the bass?
I see some people like Dekonis for that but also checking for other alternatives.
Thanks in advance.

Jan 26, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #3,793 of 4,790
Does anybody knows where I can find a new set of B pads?
Is there any non OEM pad that sounds the same or can increase the bass?
I see some people like Dekonis for that but also checking for other alternatives.
Thanks in advance.
1) B pads can be ordered from Beyerdynamic's website, or call Customer Support
2) Velour pads and Fenestrated Sheepskin pads have a very similar signature to the stock pads. I've used Dekoni, and Brainwavz, and I prefer Dekoni's.
3) For bass enhancement, Hybrids. It will deviate more on the sound signature, but can be compensated with EQ on the mids/treble

Jan 26, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #3,794 of 4,790
1) B pads can be ordered from Beyerdynamic's website, or call Customer Support
2) Velour pads and Fenestrated Sheepskin pads have a very similar signature to the stock pads. I've used Dekoni, and Brainwavz, and I prefer Dekoni's.
3) For bass enhancement, Hybrids. It will deviate more on the sound signature, but can be compensated with EQ on the mids/treble

Thank you for the feedback, I tried their website but no DT1990 pads at all, might have to call or email for that but since you mentioned I might try the Dekoni.
I see there is a different models such as elite or so?
Thanks again

Jan 27, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #3,795 of 4,790
Thank you for the feedback, I tried their website but no DT1990 pads at all, might have to call or email for that but since you mentioned I might try the Dekoni.
I see there is a different models such as elite or so?
Thanks again
Send them an email. I’m sure that they will help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back