Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Feb 13, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #3,813 of 4,801
what do the dekoni's do for the 1990's sound? my only real complaint is sub bass
If you want more sub bass get the dekoni choice suede. But be warned bass can be overwhelming because they also decrease the mid and treble region

Dekoni elite velours has the most similar tuning to the stock a and b pads it sits inbetween these two stock pads. I combine them with the amiron wireless foam disc to smooth out the treble and increase the bass

There are also the elite hybrid that adds a big amount of bass but in a more neutral way then the choice suede because they dont touch the mids and treble that much

Cheapest way are the amiron wireless foam discs for 3 bucks they add bass and smooth out the treble peak without sacrifice for my taste

I cant tell much about the foam disc combos with choice suede and hybrids but with the elite velour they are a killer combo i will not use the dt 1990 without them ever again and it seems like @Chastity likes them also with the elite hybrids

Feb 14, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #3,815 of 4,801
As a 1990 owner for several months now, just wanted to join the fray, say hello, and offer my biggest suggestion for improving the listening experience of this excellent headphone (IMO). I’m a big fan of EQ, and found the treble a little excessive on these as well (although I do like treble). Tried all the major preset EQs, including oratory, autoEQ, sonarworks, etc. and found that the toneboosters morphit EQ to be the best of all, easily. In addition to smoothing everything out and bringing up the mids a smidge, it actually preserved the sparkle that most EQs kill on this HP and added something to the soundstage too, somehow (which i didn’t think EQ could do). The morphit plugin has a free trial so i recommend trying it out! BTW, I use the balanced pads, which morphit has a profile for (no analytical though). Am playing MBA > TB morphit > schiit modi/magni 3+ > DT 1990. Although I’ve never heard a higher end headphone, the EQ’d experience has left me wondering how much better a headphone can sound... and how much, when EQ’d, the 1990s hold up against the best of the best. Maybe I’m being naive, but based on diminishing returns...

Anyway, this journey has been incredibly fun - cheers!

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #3,816 of 4,801
So the dekoni elite velour pads arrived! Just started using the for a few hours. Initial thoughts are that they are way more comfortable, though I'm not so sure if I like the sound better than the analytical pads. For lack of a better word, it feels a bit more distant?

Now waiting for the Amiron foam discs. Silly me ordered one thinking it was a pair :sweat: So twice the delivery costs then :p I will probably have some questions on how to combine them with the dekoni pads.

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #3,817 of 4,801
So the dekoni elite velour pads arrived! Just started using the for a few hours. Initial thoughts are that they are way more comfortable, though I'm not so sure if I like the sound better than the analytical pads. For lack of a better word, it feels a bit more distant?

Now waiting for the Amiron foam discs. Silly me ordered one thinking it was a pair :sweat: So twice the delivery costs then :p I will probably have some questions on how to combine them with the dekoni pads.
The mount ring needs to be popped off. When putting it back on, give it a small turn til it finds it's placement. (It's keyed)

new-liner-installed.jpg

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #3,818 of 4,801

Yes it feels more distant and lower volume because your ear is further away compared to analytical pads just increase your volume by 3 db

Feb 17, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #3,819 of 4,801
The mount ring needs to be popped off. When putting it back on, give it a small turn til it finds it's placement. (It's keyed)

Awesome, when they get here I'll try it out. Putting the dekoni pads on was a bit trickier than the a pads.

Yes it feels more distant and lower volume because your ear is further away compared to analytical pads just increase your volume by 3 db

Yeah I figured that was it for the most part. But i might also have to change my EQ. You have on for yours?

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #3,820 of 4,801
Awesome, when they get here I'll try it out. Putting the dekoni pads on was a bit trickier than the a pads.

Yeah I figured that was it for the most part. But i might also have to change my EQ. You have on for yours?

+2 db shelf at 100hz 1Q

+3.5 db peak at 4200hz 1Q

20210219_163914.jpg
20210219_163900.jpg

This is my eq for dekoni pads with amiron wireless foam disc

Bass shelf to increase sub bass you can also set it at 75hz if there is enough midbass for your liking

And the 4200hz peak to balance the dip and get more energy in the upper mid region

With just elite velours without the foam disc i used the same eq just with extra

-3.5db at 9000hz Q1

To balance the 8.5k peak
20210219_165100.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #3,821 of 4,801

@Cevisi said me that when you order one "foam pads" item, the package include a pair of them (same for the rings). But, reading your post, I don't know if is correct. Did you receive only one foam pad in the package?

Feb 20, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #3,822 of 4,801
@Cevisi said me that when you order one "foam pads" item, the package include a pair of them (same for the rings). But, reading your post, I don't know if is correct. Did you receive only one foam pad in the package?
When you order the Amiron Wireless foams, the price is for 1 pad. In the US, that's $3.50 a pad, so $7 for two. I ordered 4, and cost me $14. And I <3 how they internally refer to UPS Ground shipping as "PIRATE SHIP" on the invoice. :beyersmile:

Feb 20, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #3,823 of 4,801
When you order the Amiron Wireless foams, the price is for 1 pad. In the US, that's $3.50 a pad, so $7 for two. I ordered 4, and cost me $14. And I <3 how they internally refer to UPS Ground shipping as "PIRATE SHIP" on the invoice. :beyersmile:
Damn then i gave terrerio wrong information. I ordered via email conversation and said (two pair)

By the way there is a new dekoni pad for beyers

Choice hybrid

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dek...-beyerdynamic-dt-and-akg-k-series-headphones/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back