Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Apr 8, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #2,776 of 3,701
  Hi guys, how does 1770 pro stand against 1990 pro in fidelity and dynamic? I ask it because there are mixed reviews and opinions about this two models. I've heard somewhere in which the reviewer said that to him despite the open back design 1990 pro sounds a bit compressed and narrow compared to 1770 pro(which is contrary to the rule of thump). Now i have 1770 pro with serial no 82XX. Is there any difference between my pair and early ones with lower serial no? I mean i wanna know if there is a touch of improvement in sound refinement such as improving the bloated and slow bass, etc. Of course i'm compeletly satisfied with the 1770, but is it resonable to have 1990 beside 1770 for someone who has DT 880 PRO / 250 Ohm already(like me)?
I'm always using the 1770 only with velour earpad and can't hear any fault. But it's always a torture for me when i look at negative comments specially on amazon while i don't see much negative comments about 1990.

They are similar, but honestly the DT 1990 is pretty much better in all ways, I own both as well as the Amiron, the DT 1990 is the best of the three to my ears. The DT 1990 can sound a bit narrow on some systems but not others with the balanced pads, it never sounds narrow with the analytical pads, it's very revealing of the system. The DT 1990 pretty much improves on everything on the DT 1770 including the bass tightness. The mids have more body to them and sound more natural. I haven't compared a high vs low serial DT 1770, I own a very low serial number DT 1770, it's had problems. 

I doubt there will be a DT 1880. The DT 1990 is pretty much an HD 600 upgrade to my ears and is the most natural and neutral sounding Beyer I've tried.  

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #2,778 of 3,701
They are perfect for gaming. They have really good imaging (left right and in between for localization) plus an explosive, hard hitting bass impact which makes them pretty ideal for gaming IMO, especially stuff like shooters for explosions. Doesn't hurt that they are closed and very comfortable too for long sessions...

They are also really good with movies for the same reason! 

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #2,779 of 3,701
I'm considering buying these headphones. But, my main concern is driving them. At 250 ohms, just how difficult are these to drive? I have a Schiit Lyr amp which has good power. Thanks for any help or advice.

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #2,780 of 3,701
Very easy to drive. Lyr is overkill (more than you need), really basically anything can power them.

Even while rated at 250 ohms, they are very easy going, sound great out of little usb amps like E10k and I will also plug them right into my laptop since it sounds good (macbook).

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #2,781 of 3,701
I'm considering buying these headphones. But, my main concern is driving them. At 250 ohms, just how difficult are these to drive? I have a Schiit Lyr amp which has good power. Thanks for any help or advice.
that will work.

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #2,783 of 3,701

The 1770 have been around for quite a while now, but I’ve demoed this headphone on two separate occasions and feel like giving my two cents.
Both demo sessions were out of my Fiio Q1 as the DAC-amp on high gain. Music was playing via Foobar2000 with Wasapi Event.
First demo was with the velour pads. Simply put, the sibilance really gave me a headache. I didn’t demo for very long because of this.
Second demo was after I had learned the 1770 actually came with pleather pads, so I went back to try again. This demo was much longer, about 30 to 40 minutes. At first, I engaged the headphones with my normal testing volume, which is admittedly on the loud side.
Bass is very pronounced, but doesn’t quite have the rumble I recall from the DT770. Sub-bass is rolled off a little, and decay is a little on the long side. It could be my Q1 not being powerful enough, but honestly I suspect it’s just a little bit disjointed. Engaging bass boost on the Q1 brought in sub-bass and mid-bass was significantly more defined, though distortion from housing/driver vibration was starting to come in on more bassy tracks, like “Shut Up” by Kana Nishino.
Mid-range has emphasis particularly with the “ch” sounds, not as much with the “ss” sounds as heard on the velour. Very forward, bright, slightly uneven, resulting in a somewhat hollow and brassy sound.
Treble is definitely aggressive, but not as grainy as I recall DT770 being. Has a bit more body than I remember DT880 being as well. Actually was pretty exciting to listen to, especially with strings, though at louder volumes, it was starting to get dizzily tizzy.
Overall, I didn’t really like the sound of the DT1770 until I thought about my Shure SRH1540 at home – would they sound better if I lowered the volume to softer levels? Sure enough, became a lot more pleasant. Mid-range was less wonky, and just sounded forward but articulate with enough body to avoid being too unnatural. Treble was still aggressively crisp and sizzling without approaching piercing. Most importantly for me, the deficiencies in the bass weren’t as obvious, and its high quantity made low-end engaged rather satisfactorily for lower levels.
So, like the Shure SRH1540, the DT-1770 is marketed as “for professionals” but doesn't seem to sound best when turned up loud – like professionals usually do. A rather confusing headphone that I like enough, but wouldn’t recommend to most. A much better attempt at closed than Beyer’s T70P though, for sure.
Unfortunately, the store I went to still didn’t have a 1990 to demo, so I couldn’t compare. I suspect I'll like the 1990 much more based on the comments.

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #2,784 of 3,701
Anyone here with the DT 1770 ever listen to/ own the yamaha EPH-100?

I find the sound signature very similar for both.

The EPH-100 is a favorite IEM of mine, was looking for a full size equivalent, and think these are pretty much that. 

If anyone here is looking for a similar sounding IEM, check those out!

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #2,785 of 3,701
Hi there! First poster and really interested in this set of cans. I'm currently rocking the DT 880 Editions 250ohm, paired with a Crack + Speedball that has been tube rolled through an ODAC. I absolutely LOVE my home setup and have no other plans to upgrade for a while.

I am however VERY interested in the DT 1770's for my office environment, as I'm hoping the cans paired with the pleather pads will provide little sound leakage and excellent isolation.

My question, what is the communities sentiment around the Beach Camera Deal for the Dt 1770 + A20 for $699 (Here)

Is this deal worth it? Since I'm loving the Crack warmth and speedball punch paired with the 880's, I'd like to experiment with solid state as my work setup. This seems like a great deal but are there any watch-outs?

Also, I'm sure this has been asked before but do I need to get a DAC right away? I've read that it will make a 5% difference but curious to hear more opinions. Also have read mixed review on the DT 1770 + A20. Any new thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks all for your advice!

Hayt

Jun 11, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #2,786 of 3,701
Hey Hayt

The best advice I can give you is to go to a good headphone retailer where they allow you to bring in your own setup to do a comparison with the headphones you are interested in. I do it all the time (admittedly I travel 100 miles to get there but I don't mind). You will quickly find out if it's what you want. It will save you a lot of time and money and heartache. :)
I have never had the pleasure of trying the DT880's but what I have read is that it's a good set of cans. I've only had experience with T90's (Which I hated - The highs were just piercing to the ears), the Custom One Pro's which were great but lacked the depth that I was after and the DT250 which were hard to fault. I have only auditioned the T1's and T5p which were great but out of my price range.
The DT1770 deal looks okay. I spent $500 just on my DT1770's alone.
I prefer solid state Amps over tubes, but that's only my opinion. :)
As for a DAC. Save and get a good one, but do your homework. I have an Audiolab M-DAC and love it!
Other than that enjoy the adventure and sorry for your wallet. :D

Ben

Jun 11, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #2,787 of 3,701
Hi there! First poster and really interested in this set of cans. I'm currently rocking the DT 880 Editions 250ohm, paired with a Crack + Speedball that has been tube rolled through an ODAC. I absolutely LOVE my home setup and have no other plans to upgrade for a while.

I am however VERY interested in the DT 1770's for my office environment, as I'm hoping the cans paired with the pleather pads will provide little sound leakage and excellent isolation.

My question, what is the communities sentiment around the Beach Camera Deal for the Dt 1770 + A20 for $699 (Here)

Is this deal worth it? Since I'm loving the Crack warmth and speedball punch paired with the 880's, I'd like to experiment with solid state as my work setup. This seems like a great deal but are there any watch-outs?

Also, I'm sure this has been asked before but do I need to get a DAC right away? I've read that it will make a 5% difference but curious to hear more opinions. Also have read mixed review on the DT 1770 + A20. Any new thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks all for your advice!

Hayt

One thing to bear in mind is that the DT1770s are somewhat darker sounding than the the DT880s. That's not to say the detail is lacking, in fact there's more detail in the 1770s that the 880s, but the 1770s are considerably more bassy. Also the mids are slightly more recessed that those of the DT880s, and the highs are not so forward. So were really talking about a different sound signature, but one that nevertheless still sounds like a beyer.

I would really suggest a listen to them first, if at all possbile, to see if they suit your ears, and your taste in music. Although that said I'd be the first to recommend the DT1770s to anybody looking for a full sized closed back, and that Beach Camera deal looks very good value for money.

Jun 11, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #2,788 of 3,701
I was very close to considering the 1770s for my new work headphone (upgrading after nearly a decade with my Denon AH-D2000), but since I have the 1990 at home, I wanted to try something different and got the MrSpeakers Aeon. It's quite different as expected, and am enjoying it. Another option was the NightOwl.

Jun 24, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #2,789 of 3,701
I love the DT770. So this is an upgraded version with more details and wider soundstage? Must be great for listening to rock music. The DT770 is quite good in that department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back