Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Aug 11, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #2,792 of 3,701
Had a pair of DT 1770's for two days now, initial impression was quite favourable. I'm running them through a Beresford Capella headphone amp connected to a Beresford Caiman MK II DAC, with optical connection to my desktop PC.
They are 'darker' than my Sennheiser HD 540 Reference II's, but then again it's open back vs closed back, I am really impressed by the soundstage for a closed back design.
It was obvious that these cans lack the transparency of the HD 540 ii's, so i tried a couple of simple reversible 'mod's' that have been mentioned in another thread.
Simply removing the ear pads, and carefully removing the plastic retainers for the ear pads will allow you to remove the thick black foam driver cover, replace retainers (note the little block on the retainer and line it up with the recess on the ear cup) and cover approximately 50% of the ports on each ear cup with blu-tack, connect cable and enjoy the all round improvement. Add a custom silver cable to open the treble and mid's just a little more.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #2,794 of 3,701
I posted this on the mod thread, but also thought it was worth sharing my experiences on the DT1770 here.

I bought the DT1770 headphones for recording purposes due to closed back isolation.

I initially found the mids recessed, highs transients too veiled and low end far too powerful and bleeding into the mids.

I've finally found the tweaks that make these worth keeping!

I ended up using leatherette pads for the best isolation and pushing mids forward instead of bleeding out of the velour pads, blu-tack to cover about 70% the bass ports and removing the foam inserts to increase clarity of transient details in the highs and high mids.

Also, it sits best on my head with the L on 3 notches and right on 1 notch for some reason.

When putting them on I recommend putting them on a little at a time instead of the whole leatherette pad at once to prevent a resonant air seal.

Hope this helps someone else wanting a more neutral and forward sound with these while minimizing bleed.
IMG_6980.JPG

Sep 25, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #2,795 of 3,701
Hi Folks,

does anyone know of some plushiers leatherette pads that may correctly fit the DT1770s? I feel I'm loosing the subbass these headphones are capable to come up with... The ones that come with these Beyers don't perfectly seal my ears/head.

Thx in advance!

EDIT: I'll answer myself partially :triportsad: . I've recently ordered the dekoni fenestrated pads. We'll see how the sealing comes up to with these new ones.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #2,797 of 3,701
At the moment I am interesting in purchasing a new closed-back headphone.
Is the 1770 a headphone that cause listening fatigue easily?

I fairly eadily/quickly get listening fatigue. For example HD800 was not ok for me to listen longer than 30 minutes.

Looking forward to input. Thnx in advance..

Oct 15, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #2,798 of 3,701
At the moment I am interesting in purchasing a new closed-back headphone.
Is the 1770 a headphone that cause listening fatigue easily?

I fairly eadily/quickly get listening fatigue. For example HD800 was not ok for me to listen longer than 30 minutes.

Looking forward to input. Thnx in advance..

You have to take into account, above all, that the 1770Pros are made by Beyerdynamic. If you cannot bear the HD800s longer than half an hour, I would not be the one that tells you to go blind purchasing these cans. When I say that they're made by Beyer is that they somewhat retain that "brilliant" sound signature. It's much more tamed than in the Senns but can be perhaps too bright for what you're looking for. If you have the chance to try by yourself, do please give them a listen.

From my point of view and coming from the Oppo PM3s, they've got much more air, the scene is wider and deeper but this air and fairly big scene to be closed comes from having the mid-upper frequencies much more present than I used to have with my ex-planars.

To mention some other closed headphones I know pretty well, the Fostex TH610s are much more easy-listening and more comfy than these 1770Pros...

Oct 16, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #2,799 of 3,701
Thnx. Until now I always skipped Beyers before even audioning because they are considered 'hot'.
But I read the DT-1770 is significantly more tame than the older Beyer models. Because I am looking for a high sound-quality closed-back headphone with full/solid bass reproduction this Beyer is drawing my attention.

Fatuiging seems to be a very personal issue, but I would like to know how fatuiging the DT-1770 is considered in relation to other headphones I owned/know. See the list below (sorted from highly fatiguing to non-fatiguing).

Headphone: level of fatuige (level of Soniq Quality)
- Sennheiser HD-800: Very fatiguing (excellent SQ)
- AKG K712 PRO: Quite fatiguing (very good SQ)
- Sennheiser HD25: Bit fatuiging (and not very good SQ)
- Hifiman HE400i: Bit fatiguing after a while (very good SQ)
- Sennheiser Momentum on-ear: No obvious fatigue (medocre/average SQ)
- Oppo PM-3: No fatigue (mediocre/average SQ)
- AKG K240 Sextett: No fatigue (very good SQ)
- Sennheiser HD650: Not fatigue at all (good SQ)

The Hifiman HE400i would be the 'edge headphone' for me. Everything higher in the list I consider too hot, and everything below I consider friendly enough.

Where would you guys place the DT-1770 in terms of 'fatigue' in the above list? That would help me to decide if on taking the travel effort on auditioning the DT-1770 or to disquialify it as an option right away...

Tnx..

Martijn

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #2,800 of 3,701
Thnx. Until now I always skipped Beyers before even audioning because they are considered 'hot'.
But I read the DT-1770 is significantly more tame than the older Beyer models. Because I am looking for a high sound-quality closed-back headphone with full/solid bass reproduction this Beyer is drawing my attention.

Fatuiging seems to be a very personal issue, but I would like to know how fatuiging the DT-1770 is considered in relation to other headphones I owned/know. See the list below (sorted from highly fatiguing to non-fatiguing).

The Hifiman HE400i would be the 'edge headphone' for me. Everything higher in the list I consider too hot, and everything below I consider friendly enough.

Where would you guys place the DT-1770 in terms of 'fatigue' in the above list? That would help me to decide if on taking the travel effort on auditioning the DT-1770 or to disquialify it as an option right away...

Tnx..

Martijn
Worth a try.

Oct 16, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #2,801 of 3,701

Tnx..

Martijn
It is impossible to be definitive or absolute about whether or not a pair of cans is 'fatiguing' or not, as there are so many variables at play, such as the quality of the source material, quality of source, amplifier etc. For example, I do not find the HD800's fatiguing at all.
I would therefore suggest that your attempt at 'categorising' is futile, as your opinions are only subjective anyway, and are not definitive.
In short: IF you like the sound of a pair of cans, BUY THEM. If you don't like the sound, either don't buy them or move them on if you've already committed.
The DT1770 is a good pair of balanced cans, with good, distinct bass, slightly recessed mids and a slightly sharp treble. That's in my system anyway. The only way you'll figure out if they 'fit' for you, is to give them a lengthy audition, and live with them for a while.

Oct 16, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #2,802 of 3,701
I can purchase a pair on occasion and try them for ~24hours (actually period to be defined) and optionally return them.. This provides a nice oppertunity but when these headphones are way to hot for my (p)reference (list) it would be a waste of time for me and the seller..

Hence the list...
I understand it remains uncertain untill I try them myself, but I'm hoping for some fatigue-sensitive people to comment on the DT-1770's..

Oct 16, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #2,803 of 3,701
I can purchase a pair on occasion and try them for ~24hours (actually period to be defined) and optionally return them.. This provides a nice oppertunity but when these headphones are way to hot for my (p)reference (list) it would be a waste of time for me and the seller..

Hence the list...
I understand it remains uncertain untill I try them myself, but I'm hoping for some fatigue-sensitive people to comment on the DT-1770's..

Having seen your list, you must consider yourself officially as a Darkman. :ksc75smile:
Honestly speaking and as other mates have told you, you should give them a try, but I think they won't be your cup of tea. You should have a try with some smoother headphones as the Fostex TH610 or even the Nightowls from Audioquest.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back