Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Nov 10, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #976 of 3,701
How is the sounds on DT150? Does it good for studio recording? I have no chance to try this at the local store and it isn't ugly to me.

According to who at beyer?
Can't really believe any of my colleagues could have said this. The DT 1770 Pro is the DT 770 Pro's big brother with Tesla drivers.

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #977 of 3,701
  No, but the DT1770 is according to Beyer based on the DT-150 and for 133 euros I will always promote the DT-150 lol it really destroys a lot headphones! 
Agree on it's being ugly just don't let people caught you wearing it and it really needs an amp so for home usage!!

According to who at beyer?
Can't really believe any of my colleagues could have said this. The DT 1770 Pro is the DT 770 Pro's big brother with Tesla drivers.

Hanselmann, you're referring to AdamTR's comment and not my comment?

Nov 10, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #978 of 3,701
Nov 10, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #979 of 3,701
Nov 11, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #981 of 3,701
Damn,yeah.

@hanselmann Sorry to ask this a second time, but would it be okay for me to know the telsa of magnetic flux density of the DT 1770 vs the DT 770? Given that the DT 1770 has a much higher nominal SPL than the DT 770 (102 dB vs 96 dB, respectively), I am assuming that their difference in telsa is very big. I am just curious to know how good the Telsa 2.0 driver system is. Would you happen to be able to answer that for me, or do you maybe have to ask someone else first or are not allowed to let me know altogether?

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #982 of 3,701
  @hanselmann Sorry to ask this a second time, but would it be okay for me to know the telsa of magnetic flux density of the DT 1770 vs the DT 770? Given that the DT 1770 has a much higher nominal SPL than the DT 770 (102 dB vs 96 dB, respectively), I am assuming that their difference in telsa is very big. I am just curious to know how good the Telsa 2.0 driver system is. Would you happen to be able to answer that for me, or do you maybe have to ask someone else first or are not allowed to let me know altogether?

The difference between DT 770 Pro and DT 1770 pro is roughly factor 2.

Please let me state, that of course I appreciate an in-depth interest in our technical design of headphones. Though, I may not reveal each thing we do and each spec of a part or a device. Neither would I like to explain the approach about how to fix specific issues with headphone designs in general. This is part of our intellectual property we invest a lot of efforts in and part of our core competence, that sets us apart from some (not all) competitors.

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #983 of 3,701

The difference between DT 770 Pro and DT 1770 pro is roughly factor 2.

Please let me state, that of course I appreciate an in-depth interest in our technical design of headphones. Though, I may not reveal each thing we do and each spec of a part or a device. Neither would I like to explain the approach about how to fix specific issues with headphone designs in general. This is part of our intellectual property we invest a lot of efforts in and part of our core competence, that sets us apart from some (not all) competitors.

Thank you very much, I really appreciated your response. My assumption was that it was information that your company didn't want revealed for a reason. I respect and understand that completely, and it was very nice of you to still let me know the rough difference of factor 2 (I think that means .2 or perhaps /2). Thank you again.

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #984 of 3,701
Unfortunately my pair of DT1770 also developed driver imbalance: the right driver is noticeably quieter than the left one.

I'm out of the return window at Amazon, so I cannot send it back. I got in touch with the service center, but they don't have parts for it yet, since it's a new model. Pretty disappointing 
frown.gif

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #985 of 3,701
  Unfortunately my pair of DT1770 also developed driver imbalance: the right driver is noticeably quieter than the left one.

I'm out of the return window at Amazon, so I cannot send it back. I got in touch with the service center, but they don't have parts for it yet, since it's a new model. Pretty disappointing 
frown.gif

The first pair I tested had a loose driver in the right cup, which was vibrating when playing music (especially on the low end). Maybe they have some quality control issues. Try to contact Amazon through their "help" centre on the website. You have to click through a couple of menus, but then you can contact them regarding your order via email. Usually they honour the warranty and send you a new pair even after the 14 days.

In other news, I think my post earlier was overlooked but it would be great if someone could enlighten me about the sonic differences between the 1770, T1 and T5p. 
wink.gif

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #986 of 3,701

The first pair I tested had a loose driver in the right cup, which was vibrating when playing music (especially on the low end). Maybe they have some quality control issues. Try to contact Amazon through their "help" centre on the website. You have to click through a couple of menus, but then you can contact them regarding your order via email. Usually they honour the warranty and send you a new pair even after the 14 days.

In other news, I think my post earlier was overlooked but it would be great if someone could enlighten me about the sonic differences between the 1770, T1 and T5p. 
wink.gif

Oh, you're the third person in this thread to have a problem with the right driver. It does sound like loose driver: it rattles at some frequencies, but it doesn't explain the channel imbalance. It must be defective. I tried your solution, will see how it goes with amazon. Thanks!

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #987 of 3,701
 I am in a bit of a dilemma and I hope you can help with it. After reading up on the 1770, I thought this is exactly what I was looking for.

I have Sennheiser HD650, upgraded the cables - www.audiocadabra.com/blog/optimus-handcrafted-sennheiser-hd650-headphone-upgrade-cables - solid core copper, high end connectors. After breaking in, it enhanced the clarity without making it more edgy or harsh. Mids are still amazing and lows about the same in quantity and extension, just a bit tighter. Still I wanted a closed, can with more bass.

I'd tried many and I'm still trying. Same frequent complaints, too bright or boomy, big midrange dip, etc. I'd found a few I like finally. The first was the Creative Aurvana 2 with this cable (6 ft, $17). Free ship from China. Sturdy, a bit better sound than the original - http://tiny.cc/0n2l4x - and these ear pads are essential - http://tiny.cc/xp2l4x - Better comfort with a bigger sound stage and tighter bass.

After breaking all of it in (cable and cans) for 100 hours (50% pink noise, 50% modern pop station, at loud, but bearable, listening levels, not wearing them, with a folded towel over them for quiet). They have the spaciousness of a HD650, or even more, in some ways. Their high end is a bit brighter, but still remarkably not harsh. Mids as full, mid bass isn't boomy and the sub lows extend a little farther.

I also recently got the Takstar Pro80 used for $40. Took the headband apart and adjusted to make it fit my unusually large head (most will fit this fine). Out of the box it is very similar to the above. Comfortable headband, pads, and quality non-removable cable. Similar highs, not quite as wide but still good space for closed cans. Slightly fuller low mids and in mid bass, slightly more sub bass. Good value.

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #988 of 3,701

As a very short characterization I'd say the T5p is the brightest and misses a bit of upper bass to satisfy (it does reach deep though), the T1 is spacious and lively (T1.2 having a bit more bass and a bit more tamed treble), definitely more balanced than the T5p. The DT1770 is the one I like best of these three, being nicely balanced but with a stronger bottom end than the T1, not as spacious (in part because its closed, maybe also because the drivers are not angled like with the T1), even tamer treble but still far from dull or dark -- just about perfect for me. And... its a beauty.

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #989 of 3,701

As a very short characterization I'd say the T5p is the brightest and misses a bit of upper bass to satisfy (it does reach deep though), the T1 is spacious and lively (T1.2 having a bit more bass and a bit more tamed treble), definitely more balanced than the T5p. The DT1770 is the one I like best of these three, being nicely balanced but with a stronger bottom end than the T1, not as spacious (in part because its closed, maybe also because the drivers are not angled like with the T1), even tamer treble but still far from dull or dark -- just about perfect for me. And... its a beauty.

Thanks plakat for your comments, this helps quite a bit. Would you say that the T1.2 also extends well towards the low end (not necessarily quantity, but frequency response)? And how are the highs compared to your 770?

If it weren't for the hump around 100Hz the 1770 would be amazing (imho). Love the mids and heighs as well as the rest of the low end. Also the resolution is very impressive. Maybe I have to give the T1.2 a shot. Unfortunately it is rather difficult to audition and patience is not my strong suit 
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #990 of 3,701

Thanks plakat for your comments, this helps quite a bit. Would you say that the T1.2 also extends well towards the low end (not necessarily quantity, but frequency response)? And how are the highs compared to your 770?

If it weren't for the hump around 100Hz the 1770 would be amazing (imho). Love the mids and heighs as well as the rest of the low end. Also the resolution is very impressive. Maybe I have to give the T1.2 a shot. Unfortunately it is rather difficult to audition and patience is not my strong suit 
biggrin.gif

Yes, that thing with patience... does not come in handy :wink: If you happen to live near Vienna you're welcome to try them out.

Extension is fine with the T1.2. yes, the DT1770 may have a slight bump in the midbass. Not too bad though, but that of course has to be weighted against personal preference.

Did you mean the DT770/80? From memory I'd say the DT770 has quite a U-shape and just a touch of that 8k peak some associate with Beyerdynamic. The T1.2 is brighter overall, but with smoother treble.

I use solid state amps exclusively, mostly the A2 when listening to the T1/T1.2/T5p and the Benchmark DAC2 with the DT1770, except for my initial comparison with the T1.2 (which arrived at the same time) when I used the A2 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back