Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Nov 15, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #1,006 of 3,701
The DT1770 is better than the DT770 across the board. The mids are not recessed to me. After a long period of use since 12-SEP-2015 now they sound very neutral to me with great bass capability and sweet treble that absolutely don't pierce at all. Each tone is done very dry and fast, the Tesla technology functions as promised.

Thanks for your kind response.

I think I may pull the trigger on these.

I auditioned the Pandora Hope VI some time ago, so memory is somewhat distant now, but it's signature hasn't been totally erased.
I'm a proud owner of the Dt770 and whilst this Hp ticks many boxes, I would like a slightly more prominent mid range.

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #1,007 of 3,701

I had to buy it after listening to it at the IFA Berlin, I think you will like it for many years to come. In a High End shop in my town, the owner placed it next to the HD800 for permanent audition. He heard it at the IFA too and loved it. Maybe it is the closed HD600/650 that Sennheiser refuses to build since years.

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #1,008 of 3,701
I auditioned the above Hp's the same time with the Pandora's with the exception of the HD600, for me, the Pandora's stood out. I could have easily been seduced by the HD800 but I wasn't then, nor now, looking for an open phone.

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #1,009 of 3,701
I'm a proud owner of the Dt770 and whilst this Hp ticks many boxes, I would like a slightly more prominent mid range.

I once heard the Pandora (High End Munich 2014 I think) but found its bass overblown and rather muddy at the time. The DT1770 has clear bass with a slight mid-bass hump, but not overpowering the rest of the music.

Compared to the Dt770/80Ohm (the only version I own) the midrange of the DT1770 is more prominent, bass is less in quantity and better in quality. Treble is smoother as well. I'd call the DT770 rather U-shaped while the DT1770 seems more linear to me.

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #1,012 of 3,701
I once heard the Pandora (High End Munich 2014 I think) but found its bass overblown and rather muddy at the time. The DT1770 has clear bass with a slight mid-bass hump, but not overpowering the rest of the music.

Compared to the Dt770/80Ohm (the only version I own) the midrange of the DT1770 is more prominent, bass is less in quantity and better in quality. Treble is smoother as well. I'd call the DT770 rather U-shaped while the DT1770 seems more linear to me.

Interesting, initially I wasn't enamored by the DT770 80Ohm version of the bass, but it has grown on me and is possibly more 'natural' compared to the Pandora. I do find, dependant on recording and track that the Dt770's treble to be slightly strident, this coming from a Grado SR325E owner.
Overall, the 770 is a remarkable hp given its pricing.
I'm intrigued by the 1770's bass layering, is that heard, felt compared to the 770?

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #1,013 of 3,701
Interesting, initially I wasn't enamored by the DT770 80Ohm version of the bass, but it has grown on me and is possibly more 'natural' compared to the Pandora. I do find, dependant on recording and track that the Dt770's treble to be slightly strident, this coming from a Grado SR325E owner.
Overall, the 770 is a remarkable hp given its pricing.
I'm intrigued by the 1770's bass layering, is that heard, felt compared to the 770?

For everything I say about the Pandora please keep in mind that I've heard them once, long ago. But I would say 'more natural' describes the DT770 in relation to the Pandoras bass, yes.

A bit strident I can second as well. Treble is of better resolution and with a good balance between sparkle and smooth on the DT1770.

And yes, given its pricing the DT770 is astonishing. The 80Ohm version is very much fun with electronics, comfort is really good (the pads seem a bit deeper and wider than the Dt1770 pads, and staying cooler). Perfect office headphone I think.

Bass is much clearer and faster on the DT1770, despite its small hump in midbass. Its more coherent than its older brother, with still good bass but other parts of the audible spectrum now also taken care of.

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #1,014 of 3,701
For everything I say about the Pandora please keep in mind that I've heard them once, long ago. But I would say 'more natural' describes the DT770 in relation to the Pandoras bass, yes.

A bit strident I can second as well. Treble is of better resolution and with a good balance between sparkle and smooth on the DT1770.

And yes, given its pricing the DT770 is astonishing. The 80Ohm version is very much fun with electronics, comfort is really good (the pads seem a bit deeper and wider than the Dt1770 pads, and staying cooler). Perfect office headphone I think.

Bass is much clearer and faster on the DT1770, despite its small hump in midbass. Its more coherent than its older brother, with still good bass but other parts of the audible spectrum now also taken care of.

Thanks for the clarification.

Agreed, any electronica the 770 shines.

It definitely looks like I will have to pull the trigger on these. Curiosity is getting the better and if they best the 770's across the spectrum they maybe just what I'm looking for.

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #1,015 of 3,701
Thanks for the clarification.

Agreed, any electronica the 770 shines.

It definitely looks like I will have to pull the trigger on these. Curiosity is getting the better and if they best the 770's across the spectrum they maybe just what I'm looking for.

I really like the DT1770... Beyer made many small changes to the tuning and the build, that amount to a really good headphone one can happily live with for a long time.
If you're especially looking for a better midrange the DT1770 may be a good bet indeed.

Let us know how you decided. And what you think about them after hearing them yourself.

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #1,016 of 3,701
  I'd say it depends on the music in question... the DT770 focusses more on subbass while the DT1770 has a bit more upper bass.

It seems like I would need to have a listen to really tell if they are for me. Luckily it looks like there is finally a retailer in Denmark who sells them, unfortunately according to their website only their Copenhagen shop has them for now.
I'll just try and be patient, they might show up at a branch where I live :)

Nov 15, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #1,017 of 3,701

Actually the hope has a more detailed and airy treble, more transparency, and is a very fast headphone with stronger upper mids and nore natural vocals. However the dt1770 has more bass control, less slam, less sibilance, better imaging, and denser tones. Given a choice, id prob get the hope but it would be a tough call. The hope is more engaging overall and its bass is more in qty. I also never had a prob with its mids. Sometimes it was a little thin sounding, and whispy in tonality though.

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #1,018 of 3,701
It seems like I would need to have a listen to really tell if they are for me. Luckily it looks like there is finally a retailer in Denmark who sells them, unfortunately according to their website only their Copenhagen shop has them for now.

I'll just try and be patient, they might show up at a branch where I live :)

You might want to check stores that are for musician's equipment. The DT1770 is a professional headphone meant for studio use.

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #1,020 of 3,701
On one hand I want one of the local stores to get one to be able to listen to them. On the other I dread it, because I fear subjectively ruining my DT 770 forever XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back