Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Oct 7, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #706 of 3,701
I'm not entirely sure there is an impact on sound quality when plugging my Beyerdynamic T1 into an old iPhone 4S in comparison to my desktop setup that costs almost 2000 dollars, apart from the obvious volume level limitations. I don't think the DT1770's would suffer either. If there's anything idevices nail, it's sound quality, they're absolutely dead silent and transparent, and measured performance is better than in many far more expensive music players or even desktop amps and dacs.

There's always someone who thinks sarcasm is a useful constructive means of adding to a conversation in a productive manner...

Oct 7, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #707 of 3,701

I'm not entirely sure there is an impact on sound quality when plugging my Beyerdynamic T1 into an old iPhone 4S in comparison to my desktop setup that costs almost 2000 dollars, apart from the obvious volume level limitations. I don't think the DT1770's would suffer either. If there's anything idevices nail, it's sound quality, they're absolutely dead silent and transparent, and measured performance is better than in many far more expensive music players or even desktop amps and dacs.

Oct 7, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #708 of 3,701
But the bullet. Got myself a set.
I actually compared them with the T70/32ohm and T90/250ohm. I tried them on my iPhone 6 (and found a flaw with power output control on the fly as well, more on that later).

The T70 I didn't really like much. It felt empty somehow. I also had to pump up the volume to 50%, which surprised me. Basically my IBasso Operius blew them away.
The T90 sounded ok, but volume levels were between 80-100%. Needed more drive then my iPhone could provide. It sounded thin on the mid and lower tones. But there were some details I didn't hear before. Ambient noise isolation with velour earpads was pretty much non-existent. Very very poor. As if I was not wearing them at all. They're open ear units though, so cannot expect amazing noise isolation.

The DT1770 sounded way better than the other two. Much more space and dynamics. The percussion in "smooth operator" blew me away. Lower tones seemed much more prominent and highs were less peaky than the others. Ambient noise isolation with the velour earpads seemed significantly better too. My iPhone managed to drive them well at about 70%. I do believe they will benefit from amplification though.

The DT1770 is a bass cannon for lower percussion instruments. There has to be a peak some where in the  bass frequencies to make the DT1770 more of a bass cannon without being dark sounding overhaul. None of my planars headphones have that kind of bass response that the DT1770 gives. I guessing the lower mid-bass. 

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #709 of 3,701
The DT1770 is a bass cannon for lower percussion instruments. There has to be a peak some where in the  bass frequencies to make the DT1770 more of a bass cannon without being dark sounding overhaul. None of my planners headphones have that kind of bass response that the DT1770 gives. I guessing the lower mid-bass. 

You mean "planar headphones" right?

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #711 of 3,701
  The DT1770 is a bass cannon for lower percussion instruments. There has to be a peak some where in the  bass frequencies to make the DT1770 more of a bass cannon without being dark sounding overhaul. None of my planners headphones have that kind of bass response that the DT1770 gives. I guessing the lower mid-bass. 

We should really approach Beyerdynamic as a group an see if they'd be willing to send a Demo unit around, assuming every one here's in the US

While my LA D5K has more bass response than my HE 4, it's no were near as taught or fast. The Denon shoves sheer controlled closed back bassy goodness, it's got a nice Elevated plateau from like 20 to 100 or so kHz, then it drops off, an it's around 5dbs boosted above the rest of the spectrum, how ever the HE 4 is flat from like 10 to 250, an it's not humped at all

My point is, my experince with Planar's has shown me they are a step above Dynamics in terms of bass. There are plenty of songs where the extra taught HE 4 is more pleasureable than then slighty loose LA D5k, ofc 9/10 the LA D5k is way more fun an enjoyable

So It'd be nice to see this thing make it way around to us different users xD 

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #712 of 3,701
Planar's tend to have stronger sub bass. I do not like loose bass either. It seems DT1770 has extra bass which may be more to someone likes. Not the LCD2,3 or the HiFIMAN 400i, 560, K1000 can produce the strong whack of the Timpani or bass drum as strong as the DT1770 can. This year I was very lucky to have two local meets plus the RMAF this year. It may be different next year since not everyone has access to a local meet.

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #713 of 3,701
  Planar's tend to have stronger sub bass. I do not like loose bass either. It seems DT1770 has extra bass which may be more to someone likes. Not the LCD2,3 or the HiFIMAN 400i, 560, K1000 can produce the strong whack of the Timpani or bass drum as strong as the DT1770 can. This year I was very lucky to have two local meets plus the RMAF this year. It may be different next year since not everyone has access to a local meet.

Well that's... an interesting topic

I prefer a very VERY Dry bass, one with very little decay an a LOT of attack. That's what I get from the HE 4 VERY powerful, but very short lived.  I've found that to be to my ears the closest to "reality" but there's also the matter of how was the track recorded? The whole idea of transparency is to get only what's... there. Nothing more or less. I've accecpted my HE 4 as the standard for "transparent" realitively speaking 

So the "strong WHACK" might be a overly forward bass, or a tone that has excessive body. As bass is more felt than it is heard, an it's that... physical tactility that I like about the bass on a planar headphone. 

But at the end of the day, it's to each his own. I know the Beyer Sound and they've always made a really balanced a dry sounding headphone. I won't deny that a very clean sounding Dynamic may be able to replicate that same sense of tactility,

Either way, these are definatley on my Radar :3, I've got a modded Audio Technica Wood back first though xD an then It'll hopefully be the DT 1770 turn to join my collection! [Though it's neither modded nor a wood back so I'm not sure how long it'll stay ;3]  

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #714 of 3,701
@derbigpr perhaps your iphone could sound as good as a $2K desktop rig, if it's damaged / dubious quality or if the headphones are bad.

That really is a good idea that Beyer would send out a demo-unit of the 1770 that some Head-Fi-er's can test out, for maybe a few days each. If anybody knows the username of a Beyerdynamic representative, go ahead and post it here so we can know who to send this request to.

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #715 of 3,701
Hmmm, I'm detecting a bit of underestimation of modern phones... especially Apple ones. Unless one has already conducted blind, volume-matched AB/X tests, one can't say anything concrete against two devices. There's usually a lot of expectation bias when talking about amps.

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #716 of 3,701

At RMAF as one of my test tracks that I used for audition the DT1770 was Aaron Copland Fanfare for the Common Man a very short piece with brass and percussion.

Four horns
Three trumpets
Three trombones
Tam-tam
Tuba
Timpani
and Bass drum
I heard this piece performed live and you can feel the bass. The longer version with orchestra was Aaron Copland third symphony, last movement. I heard that in Boulder Colorado live as well. Very inspiring piece of music good for testing gear. Using the DT1770 leatherette pads the bass has much sharper attack than the velour pads, very obvious difference.  For testing of dynamic range I sometimes use Mahler 8 there is short example on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrH9Kh2vOpo

I also use solo pieces as well.

Oct 8, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #717 of 3,701
I'd wager that most smart phones sound better than at least most desktop on-board audio because, while phones maybe more closely packed together (causing more distortion) and don't have better amps, they have a significantly lower amount of EM distortion since there is way less electricity going through them at a given moment and there is often less of a distance to be traveled for the audio to be carried to it's sound card.

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #718 of 3,701
  The DT1770 is a bass cannon for lower percussion instruments. There has to be a peak some where in the  bass frequencies to make the DT1770 more of a bass cannon without being dark sounding overhaul. None of my planars headphones have that kind of bass response that the DT1770 gives. I guessing the lower mid-bass. 

The lower mid-bass? What is that?

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #720 of 3,701
"Upper sub-bass"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back