Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Jun 20, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #1,217 of 2,576
。。。。。。。。S a k e ! :)

Deoxit might work too.

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #1,218 of 2,576

@ilom about the Alacantra pads - so did you say that they seemed to decrease the mid-bass hump but slightly shrank the soundstage on the 150? And about how did it seem to effect the treble, if you noticed?

I heard an upper / mid bass hump on the DT-150's but I think it was entirely due to a slight leak with the seal on the stock pads.  The alcantaras seal really well and consequently the bass sounds balanced with def more sub bass (not anywhere near boomy).  But I doubt I was hearing what the designer intended because of the leak with the stock pads. I think the slight increase in mids and smaller soundstage is just due to the drivers being slightly closer to my ears now.  These differences are very small to me with the sub bass now sounding correct and the comfort being dialed the headphones are definitely improved.  For treble I didn't notice anything significantly different.  If I could somehow design my own pads I would make them just like the alcantaras but thicker (taller) to keep the driver distance to the ear identical to the original.

The other thing I considered is the stock pads are supposed to soften up after awhile (longer than I had patience to wait) which would bring them closer to the ear and possibly fix any leaks.

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #1,220 of 2,576
@ilom I read your post above and I have a one word solution for you: cotton. You said you wish the Alacantra pads could be thicker, so you should be able to stuff come cotton underneath the pads (between them and the driver. Most pads are able to expand up to about 1/2"

example photo (with another headphone). I use gauze pads, rolled up that I got from the cotton section of the beauty dep't. in a retail store.

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #1,222 of 2,576
Lorspeaker, only tears of pure audiophile can make it sound right...
Put 3-4 drops of pure audiophile tears on stereo jack, let it sink in, only then plug in stereo jack to the amp!

If you hear beautiful melody played on arpha , coming from somewhere you can't see, or you see the light coming from headphone out on your amp , or if you hovering in the air above your system setup while siting in the chair, those are the signs that tears were from a pure audiophile, and not from some old melancholic guy with all kind of audio gear, who still lives with his mom and wears a t-shirt with something ironic written on it...

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #1,224 of 2,576
Has anyone tried these with an iFi micro iDSD dac/amp? Curious to hear impressions, as one could be on my radar. 

Strangely, today I'm much happier with these cans with well-recorded classical music than I am with their performance on pop music on my set up. Listening to some Biber Partias and the edginess to meatiness ratio of the multiple stringed instruments is really pleasant and engaging through the Lehmann BCL. The instruments are close together, but still distinct enough to separate mentally.

Earlier I played HDTracks Bob Marley, Legend 24/192, and it was just too extended in the highs for me. It got really annoying by the end. Also the bass sounded weird and distorted, with super-dry mids. Marley's voice didn't sound bad (good heavens) but it lacked liquidity. This recording sounded great on my home speakers set up, though. I'm wondering if the BCL is under-powered with only 200 mW per channel? 

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #1,225 of 2,576
U tried the high gain button on the BCL?
It is kinda cooler sounding amp, but finely grained.
Sold it for a tube amp instead.:)

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #1,226 of 2,576
Oh yeah, +20db gain gives it a much warmer sound in the mids. Now Marley sounds like Marley. The bass is a bit more integrated into the picture on high gain as well. It's weird how low gain seems to give slightly smoother highs, but the mids are recessed with the vocals sounding very distant. It's easy to listen to, but kind of dead compared to high gain.

Going back to some classical. Extra gain makes the sound stronger, slightly less delicate, but warmer and more engaging. Will have to try this for a while. Hard to concentrate, now I can't work anymore.... $#*%!!!

The soundstage gets wider on high gain as well... Cool. Thanks! (Btw, did you like the HD600 or 650 better with this amp?)

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #1,227 of 2,576
[quote name="Arttt" url="/t/265251/beyerdynamic-dt-150 don't know what decent and powerful amps you referring to..

[/quote]

Graham Slee Voyager for one. A class act masquerading as a plain black box.

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #1,228 of 2,576
  Oh yeah, +20db gain gives it a much warmer sound in the mids. Now Marley sounds like Marley. The bass is a bit more integrated into the picture on high gain as well. It's weird how low gain seems to give slightly smoother highs, but the mids are recessed with the vocals sounding very distant. It's easy to listen to, but kind of dead compared to high gain.

Going back to some classical. Extra gain makes the sound stronger, slightly less delicate, but warmer and more engaging. Will have to try this for a while. Hard to concentrate, now I can't work anymore.... $#*%!!!

The soundstage gets wider on high gain as well... Cool. Thanks! (Btw, did you like the HD600 or 650 better with this amp?)

For stock hd600/hd650 with BCL, i prefer HD600...
but i  finally ended up with a HD650plus Silver/silverplatedcable,
cos i wanted the bass quantity of the HD650, but with a slightly brighter sound. :p

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #1,229 of 2,576
graham slee voyager is a portable amp..

try dt150 on high gain amp , tube OTL amp or SS amp something like auralic taurus .....with a high end source ( vinyl / cd player - meridian cd players sound cool, or a good dac - naim dac or hegel hd25, or weiss) 

Its not about loudness of dt150 that all seem to pay attention to when pluging it in tablets laptops and portable dac/amp combos , hear it go loud and say - hey !! its works perfectly fine...
i mean dt150 will never sound bad , even straight from my iphone6 i could enjoy it...

On a high end rig dt150 won't sound louder :) it will sound more beautiful ,level of refinement , detailing , takes it to another level.
And those warm lush mids flowing so smooth without sounding laid back, with all the sparkle.
that analog feeling you get when you listen to vinyl player .. mmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back