Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Jun 9, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #1,126 of 2,575
I would say, if you can improve the sound to your ears with a relatively inexpensive acoustic treatment: do it! 

I, on the other hand, keep sinking in much more money on things like power cables, and USB cables, etc... So far everything in my chain that improves the power supply and signal, including shielding, etc., have offered dividends. Are they 'worth it', well, that depends on how much you've got to experiment with... 

Btw, I'm looking forward to an aftermarket cable for these cans and can tell you that I'd be among the first to seriously consider one (if nothing else because the stock cable is too long). I think most people do hear the differences between cables with the higher end Senns. And those who don't, well, good for them. They just saved some serious cash.

Jun 9, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #1,127 of 2,575
One tug at the foampad....two screws to conquer, 
and u take a stab of faith at greater "Perfection" ;

and if everything u attempt, make your ears suffer,
then restoring it to stock remains your SURE pleasure.

Jun 9, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #1,128 of 2,575
The following spoiler resonates well with my opinion regarding headphone modifications.

1281405745929.png

Jun 9, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #1,129 of 2,575
simplemodding is combat zeroing...duhzzz 

Jun 9, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #1,130 of 2,575
Most all headphone mods are easily reversable. So if you don't like the results it can be easily returned back to normal. Just like the rule on this forum to not endorse something you haven't tried, the other side of the coin seems logical to not talk down on something unless you've tried it yourself. Otherwise that would be assumption based on speculation only.

Even if one has tried a mod that they don't like, to say that all modding is bad would be wrong. There are infinite possibilities of possible mods to headphones - that would be like the construction industry. Imagine walking into a faulty building and saying that all construction is bad.

Jun 10, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #1,132 of 2,575
Every time I read about a successful mod, I think, “Oh, yeah, I definitely have to try this.” But then it occurs to me that I have a handsome graphic equalizer (Art EQ341 with 15 bands per channel), and instead of buying materials, and breaking out a bunch of tools, and dismantling my headphones, I lazily fiddle with my EQ, and usually after a few minutes, I achieve a more satisfying frequency response, thus avoiding  potential mistakes that might harm my headphones and  void its warranty in the process.  

So go ahead: call me a timid or lazy headphone enthusiast, I deserve it. Heck, call me whatever you want, but before you guys start the name calling, could someone please set me straight: Are there advantages to physical modification that can’t be duplicated with judicious equalization?  

Jun 10, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #1,133 of 2,575
  Read some pages further right after the page you found this info on. You'll find that these pads actually ruin the sound to worse. I have them, other people had them. Don't buy them unless you want to waste your money.

PS Whatever other people think, DT 150s do not need to be modified! They sound perfect out of the box. All modifications by other people are mostly made for the sake of modifications only, not for the sound.

MrSpeakers Alpha Pads actually do benefit the sound slightly (more bass), though counter-intuitively they are less comfortable than the stock pleather pads (softer yes, but more hot/sweaty than stock).

I'm not sure if I would recommend them given the cost, but they're certainly not a negative.

I don't know much about the Shure pads, but I imagine anything with less seal or not leather/pleather or less space between driver and ear would ruin the sound

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #1,134 of 2,575
If u test drive different guitars, u hear diff timbre, resonance., whatnots from each box...
Not sure if a simple freq-band EQ software could replicate that,
Maybe a more complex one could mimic that?

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #1,135 of 2,575
  Every time I read about a successful mod, I think, “Oh, yeah, I definitely have to try this.” But then it occurs to me that I have a handsome graphic equalizer (Art EQ341 with 15 bands per channel), and instead of buying materials, and breaking out a bunch of tools, and dismantling my headphones, I lazily fiddle with my EQ, and usually after a few minutes, I achieve a more satisfying frequency response, thus avoiding  potential mistakes that might harm my headphones and  void its warranty in the process.  

So go ahead: call me a timid or lazy headphone enthusiast, I deserve it. Heck, call me whatever you want, but before you guys start the name calling, could someone please set me straight: Are there advantages to physical modification that can’t be duplicated with judicious equalization?  

Modding headphones firstly can do more of a "permanent EQ", which is especially helpful if you frequently swap out between several 'cans and one of them is, say... to bright so then you don't have to keep re-adjusting the EQ each time you use that headphone. Another benefit of the effect of modding over EQ would be that it possibly changes the frequency with physical elements which can theoretically give more of a lifelike sound adjustment.

But then, modding picks up where EQ leaves off, for example my low density foam behind the driver of the DT 150: this not only reduced some bass frequencies, but it also gave a harder slamming pace so it actually 'sped up' the bass. Likewise with mods that include ways of increasing/decreasing the soundstage (usually by adding or removing the cup size), this is also something difficult to mimic with the use of EQ or other VSTs. I'm no expert on this but there are many other threads for modding too.

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #1,136 of 2,575
The only mod I would consider would be adding some foam to the inside of the cup to prevent reflections. The first time I tried them I picked up on a slight "boxiness" from the cup reflections but I don't even notice it now. I'll bet they sound great with some damping inside though. Also the sound changes a bit depending on how you position them on your ears so that might be worth trying if you think they sound muddy.

Jun 10, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #1,137 of 2,575
Is this the ugliest headphone known to man?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back