Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Aug 18, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #1,441 of 2,575
As a hifiman he-560 owner, I will say higher end planars will beat the 150's overall, but certain things like vocals the 150 does come close to my 560s. 

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #1,442 of 2,575
I haven't listened to my DT 150's for awhile.  I am listening to them now paired with a vintage Kenwood amp I just purchased and they sound friggin' awesome.  I made the mistake of selling these in the past and had to get another pair.  I will never sell these again! 
beyersmile.png

Aug 25, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #1,443 of 2,575
I haven't listened to my DT 150's for awhile.  I am listening to them now paired with a vintage Kenwood amp I just purchased and they sound friggin' awesome.  I made the mistake of selling these in the past and had to get another pair.  I will never sell these again! :beyersmile:

Nice to hear this...
Which model is your Kenwood?

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #1,447 of 2,575
  You Never Know What You Have Until Its Gone

Few days with TH600. Even that the TH600 are superior in technical aspect and detailing. The real sound and vocals stays with DT150...

I have found a headphone to have better and cleaner vocals than the DT 150, the Audioquest Nighthawk. They seem to take what the DT 150s does well but does it even better. 

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #1,448 of 2,575
cool thing about dt150 is that it cost a little , looks not much but voices/vocals come alive.  all the more expensive headphone are simply trying to hard :)))))))

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #1,449 of 2,575
Listening to ATLiens, and yeah, oh yeah, I forgot how much this is really a vocals album. Andre's vocals are right in the sweet spot for these cans. And the background singing is all great. The beats are all there and so tight, but really these phones connect you to the voices so well. There are no doubt better cans out there, but if you're on a budget (in audiophile terms) and like good hip-hop these cans can nail a good album.

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #1,450 of 2,575
My DT150 found a new friend: Cozoy Aegis DAC/AMP

Review LINK

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #1,451 of 2,575
@Baycode I saw your review of the new Cozoy Aegis DAC/amp unit. While it's an outstanding review, I can't help but wonder about these two things: 

- In regards to the pairing with this DAC to the Darkvoice TH336SE amp. Are you sure the sonic performance wasn't attributed to the amp moreso than the DAC? I mean were you able to get similar results with the Darkvoice and the DT 150 with another DAC?

- In regards to comparing this DAC to the Geek Out 750; were you able to compare it to the G.O. v2? This is LH Labs' newest portable DAC/amp much like the Aegis, and has been reviewed to be leagues better than the G.O. 1000 of which is also already much better than the 750; of which you said was comparable to the Aegis. My point: compare the v2 (or v2+) to the Aegis to get a very good baseline for excellence (nor not). (I have also tried it against larger DACs)

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #1,452 of 2,575
  @Baycode I saw your review of the new Cozoy Aegis DAC/amp unit. While it's an outstanding review, I can't help but wonder about these two things: 

- In regards to the pairing with this DAC to the Darkvoice TH336SE amp. Are you sure the sonic performance wasn't attributed to the amp moreso than the DAC? I mean were you able to get similar results with the Darkvoice and the DT 150 with another DAC?

- In regards to comparing this DAC to the Geek Out 750; were you able to compare it to the G.O. v2? This is LH Labs' newest portable DAC/amp much like the Aegis, and has been reviewed to be leagues better than the G.O. 1000 of which is also already much better than the 750; of which you said was comparable to the Aegis. My point: compare the v2 (or v2+) to the Aegis to get a very good baseline for excellence (nor not). (I have also tried it against larger DACs)

@DecentLevi , first of all, thanks for compliments.

I have clearly stated the testing procedure in my review. The procedure doesn't include an amp in the chain. DAC/AMP's themselves A-B-C''ed only (mainly for direct comparisons, for line-out comparison I have added a SS amp for one time only)... I have added GO720 for comparison purposes to the Cozoy/Shozy triology.  In my review I have never stated Aegis as being an Excellent unit. I have also never written Aegis is substantially better than the GO720. My review is very open... I don't have a chance to compare these units to the new GO (V2 and V2+) units. But if I have a chance to demo those LH Labs units in the future I will certainly share my impressions as well... For the period Aegis replaced my GO. That speaks a lot to me because Aegis is very slim and small. Also it doesn't produce heat crazy like a GO720. Also I can use it with or without an external battery addition -on the go-.

I have added the Beyer DT150 rig there (in review body) because sometimes a review needs a more breathtaking, more true to life impressions. Otherwise a review might be cold-analytical.  So that paragraphs and photo is from my daily life experience...

But I know one thing, I have been using this amp and DT150 for a while and know how they sound from different sources. If I get a magic moment from the daily rig, well I know what's the cause... And I didn't want to ruin that magic hours by making comparisons. Just lied in my bed, turned the lights off and enjoyed that pure music through my setup! Only under the glow of 6AS7G and 6SN7 tubes...................
beyersmile.png

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #1,453 of 2,575
@Baycode 

hmm are those alpha pads on dt150?  i thought alpha pads wouldn't fit dt150 properly, way too small... but on the picture it looks just fine.

how does alpha pads sound then ? comparing to original pads.

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #1,454 of 2,575
  @Baycode 

hmm are those alpha pads on dt150?  i thought alpha pads wouldn't fit dt150 properly, way too small... but on the picture it looks just fine.

how does alpha pads sound then ? comparing to original pads.

Those are Brainwavz HM5 "Angled" Pleather Memory-foam Earpads. Fits fine. Better stretch and easier fit for DT150. 

These earpads sounds "similar" to the originals but have better soundstaging due to angle of the drivers you get with these. Clarity is better as well ( I believe due to original foam removal and  driver to ear distance caused by these earpads).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back