Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
May 21, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #1,951 of 2,575
My trial n error suggestions when it comes to stuffing the turkey...err pads:
{Apart from angling the drivers}

If i want less resonance/hallishness....i use cotton gauze
Eg. boomy sounding pleatherpads

If i want to add body to a lean sound....i use the firmer foam
Eg...when i have too analytical/thin sounding velorpads

Above are minor tweaks...wont make the $1000soundg dt150 a worldbeater:)
If u cant hear a diff, just avoid the turkey
tongue.gif

I use soft foam stuffings inside my dt100 veours so there's not so much hard surfaces inside pads, and so resonaces are minimum. After that setup I tested pleathers again just yesterday and I found sound to be brighter! Of course bass is more boomy, but not nearly as much as I remembered it to be, and soundstage and imaging are awesome. Overall I do like pleathers sound more than I remembered, comfort not so much tho, but I think I prefer smoother sound of my velour setup.

May 21, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #1,952 of 2,575

Did some more experiement with my pad setup. This time raised whole velour pads with firm foam and now they're about as deep as pleather pads. Soundstage is now very big and nice! I also put soft foam inside pads to reduce hallishness effect and put original driver covering foam to make sound a bit warmer. Now sound is pretty much perfect for my preferences at this moment. Wide soundstage, smooth and open sound with great details, bass is tight and punchy. And comfort is great (DT100 headband
rolleyes.gif
).

May 21, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #1,953 of 2,575
@cjs001
EQ can effect only FR domain, it won't effect inner acoustics of headphone cup where sound is reflecting ...
analog treatments with different materials is necessary  , either its in a living room and your speakers setup or inside of a headphone cup , no amount of EQ can replace need of acoustic treatment.

Here is interesting article on it, from studio engineers.
http://www.homestudiocorner.com/acoustic-treatment-vs-digital-room-correction/

May 24, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #1,954 of 2,575
I have tried all the Brainwavz HM5 airpads line for the DT150 and I had the best sound and comfort with the angled pleather HM5 earpads... I highly recommend them. Also the angled shape increased the SS.

Jun 27, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #1,955 of 2,575
Ordered a pair yesterday :) I am very excited! Been a while since I bought new cans and since I sold most of my inventory I need the DT150 in my life. Will be a nice complementary to my other Germans.. the 8.35D.

Il report back when I get them :)

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #1,956 of 2,575
Received these headphones in a trade. Wow. Where have these things been all my life? Even unamped from my MBP, they sound stellar! The velour pads + ZMF Pilot Pads take the comfort to another level. These are seriously putting my HD600s to the test, when comparing the two.

Does anyone know of custom cabling services for this weird, proprietary connector? Looking for a shorter alternative than the stock cord, short of doing it myself.

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #1,957 of 2,575
  Received these headphones in a trade. Wow. Where have these things been all my life? Even unamped from my MBP, they sound stellar! The velour pads + ZMF Pilot Pads take the comfort to another level. These are seriously putting my HD600s to the test, when comparing the two.

Does anyone know of custom cabling services for this weird, proprietary connector? Looking for a shorter alternative than the stock cord, short of doing it myself.

You can try this but I'm not sure if it's any shorter. Check with the vendor themselves perhaps.

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #1,958 of 2,575

These are stellar headphones, probably Beyer's best mid-tier headphones. They definitely give the HD 600 and the HD 650 a run for their money, in many ways I actually preferred them.

I wish I knew, would be nice to have more cable options for the headphone.

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #1,959 of 2,575
Beyer do a coiled cable for DT100 and 150

Otherwise a Velcro strap for cable management does the job for me. It's not as if it's a particularly thick or heavy cable and the 3m length gives great flexibility.

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #1,960 of 2,575

I haven't seen any custom options and official spares can cost almost as much as the headphones themselves.

The big and chunky connector is easy to work with if you fancy a DIY approach.

I replaced the socket side with a 3.5mm TRRS jack allowing the use of 'standard' cables. I used Sugru putty to hold it in place and seal up the larger opening in the headshell.

Jul 6, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #1,961 of 2,575
I just realized that going balanced shouldn't be too hard even for the DIY handicapped folks if you get the free-ended version of the cable: http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/wk-100-00.html

I don't know if you can get custom lengths from Beyer though. Looks like shortest cable is a coiled one, which might be annoying in its own right.

Jul 7, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #1,962 of 2,575

I just shortened the cable on my pair. The great thing with these german headphones is that it´s just a matter of removing the screw on the connector and it´s all in there. It´s just 3 of the pins that are used. Ground, left and right. 

Jul 7, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #1,963 of 2,575
I have tried all the Brainwavz HM5 airpads line for the DT150 and I had the best sound and comfort with the angled pleather HM5 earpads... I highly recommend them. Also the angled shape increased the SS.

Which HM5 Pads are these? I'm waiting for my DT150 and I was already thinking of changing the pads

edit. https://www.amazon.it/Pad-Brainwavz-HM5-ecopelle-pleather/dp/B0148TR6QE
These?

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #1,964 of 2,575
Listening to Green Day's American Idiot album from HDTracks in 96/24, and pretty much blowing my brains out here. I switched over quickly from the HD650, and the impact, clarity, and speed of the bass hits you much harder on the DT150. Also, the voices gain extra clarity and air around them, while the drums and guitars gain a bit more weight. For a second the guitars sounded a bit muddy, but actually, I think it was just my brain getting used to the different sound signature. To be fair, the HD650 sounds great with this amazing album, too, but I think the DT150 allows you to really understand why the extra 8 bits of depth is there: for dynamics, added clarity, and a much more precise soundstage (at least on my set-up) 

Jul 16, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #1,965 of 2,575

Which HM5 Pads are these? I'm waiting for my DT150 and I was already thinking of changing the pads

edit. https://www.amazon.it/Pad-Brainwavz-HM5-ecopelle-pleather/dp/B0148TR6QE
These?

Yes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back