Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
May 19, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #1,936 of 2,575
I stand corrected sir!

]Mine was a minority view among headfiers and I suppose I just don't belong here. I should just stick to my modest but to me pleasing collection of unmodified phones and enjoy the music. Cheerio :heart_eyes:

May 19, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #1,937 of 2,575
I stand corrected sir!

Mine was a minority view among headfiers and I suppose I just don't belong here. I should just stick to my modest but to me pleasing collection of unmodified phones and enjoy the music. Cheerio :heart_eyes:

I'm sure you are well aware that a view not often expressed on Head-Fi is not necessarily a minority view 
wink.gif

Personally, I can live with the idea of changing pads either for comfort or sonic changes. I've only ever done it for comfort reasons and have been pleasantly unaffected by any sonic changes as a result.

I hope for your own sanity you avoid the threads where the "greatest headphones in the world" are "significantly improved" by the insertion of toilet paper and other such materials in their earcups 
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #1,938 of 2,575
Just received these yesterday so still growing accustomed to their signature, but man these are freakin great.  Few quick thoughts:
- Lovely natural sounding tone on the warmer side of neutral.  In that aspect they are similar to my HD650 and ZMF Blackwood, but there are clear differences elsewhere that I'll expand upon after further listening.
- This upper bass bump can get a bit buzzy sounding, bass-to-mids transition could be smoother
- The slam is damn good with the right tracks
- Treble isn't overly bright, but sounds a bit thin or "papery"?
- Benefits can be had with pad rolling (testing out various ZMF pads)

May 20, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #1,940 of 2,575
There's a 5khz peak followed by a dip until you get to another peak at around 8-10khz, thats why the treble sounds papery. The treble doesn't sound thin if you use DT100 velour pads, it kills the treble peaks and sounds warmer. The HM5 velour pads sounds very bright and thin though, i don't recommend it. 

May 20, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #1,941 of 2,575
  There's a 5khz peak followed by a dip until you get to another peak at around 8-10khz, thats why the treble sounds papery. The treble doesn't sound thin if you use DT100 velour pads, it kills the treble peaks and sounds warmer. The HM5 velour pads sounds very bright and thin though, i don't recommend it. 

Did you also find the velour pads to tame the bass hump as well?

May 20, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #1,942 of 2,575

Did you also find the velour pads to tame the bass hump as well?

Yep, it tames the bass hump as well.

The stock pads is more dry sounding, distant, bigger soundstage and somewhat more dynamic with bigger bass. Velour pads sounds more warm and intimate, less bass hump and treble, sounds more like a Sennheiser headphone.

I haven't decide yet which pad i should use, i like the thicker bass and the extra space you have for your ears with the stock pads. Maybe i should put something under the velour pads to make it deeper so my ears don't touch the drivers.

May 20, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #1,943 of 2,575

The stock pads is more dry sounding, distant, bigger soundstage and somewhat more dynamic with bigger bass. Velour pads sounds more warm and intimate, less bass hump and treble, sounds more like a Sennheiser headphone.

I haven't decide yet which pad i should use, i like the thicker bass and the extra space you have for your ears with the stock pads. Maybe i should put something under the velour pads to make it deeper so my ears don't touch the drivers.

Thanks!  Definitely getting the velour pads then.

May 20, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #1,944 of 2,575

When I received my DT100 velours, I noticed also that ear space is smaller than with stock pads, so my solution was pad raising from rear side of pad to make it angled design. That mod had positive impact to sound, soundstage became bigger and also sound became more open and detailed. I'm not expert of burn-in effects with headphones but it has been said that burn-in helps with bass quite a bit. With velours bass is although already tamed quite a bit. Overall I like DT150 sound very much with my angled DT100 velours, but I've been thinking of giving stock pads still one more chance and use them long enough to get good seal with them.

May 20, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #1,946 of 2,575
hmm its interesting how different people experience velour and stock pleather pads ...

Stock pleather pads have warmer sound , with more mid bass quantity and lower sub bass  , mids have more buddy and sound is darker sweeter with more clarity but , it sounds a bit "halish"  at times , like you in the box ....
Soundstage is bigger and deeper , cuz of the distance between ears and driver ...

velour pads usualy emphase treble and discrease bass , and thats what happens with dt150 as well ...
it does sound more like studio sound , neutral , open , airy ... less clarity and less mid/sub bass , background is not as black as with pleather , and soundstage is less in depth , but more wider....that feeling of openness you get cuz velour let the sound go out a bit ....

it also gives ya higher treble energy , sounds gets more energetic with rock for example but less body in mids and less liquidity , more air ...

so pick your poison ....

i spend some time with both velour and pleather , comfort and that studio like neutrality was cool with velour but i ended up preferring pleather pads , tonality with pleather is more sweet more dark with more clarity and bigger /deeper soundstage ,  reminds me of vinyl /analog type of sound from the 90s ....
and thats suits my taste.

of course it depends a lot on your gear as well ... its all about balancing the stuff you got in your system to get what u want....

May 21, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #1,949 of 2,575
My trial n error suggestions when it comes to stuffing the turkey...err pads:
{Apart from angling the drivers}

If i want less resonance/hallishness....i use cotton gauze
Eg. boomy sounding pleatherpads

If i want to add body to a lean sound....i use the firmer foam
Eg...when i have too analytical/thin sounding velorpads

Above are minor tweaks...wont make the $1000soundg dt150 a worldbeater:)
If u cant hear a diff, just avoid the turkey :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back