Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Apr 4, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #1,817 of 2,575
planars are better than dynamic, planar technology offers less distortion , thats not news ...
it gives you cleaner more detailed sound without sounding analytical ,it gives warmth smoothness without sounding "veiled or way too colored"
dynamic drivers , even the best of them , can't give you black background  of planar headphones , that sensation when sound appears from total silence is very special thing ...

planars have unmatched low end , its speed and authority combined with rich tone and complex layering can't be done by dynamic drivers...

to put it short , planar magnetic headphones sound more substantional , theres "more sound" in the air .. and planar drivers produce sound so effortlessly with such ease and speed , its really another way of listening to a music.

after i owned some of the best dynamic drivers and had lots of good times with them , specialy hd800 and t5p 2end gen, i never go back to dynamic drivers for ultimate listening experience and long listening sessions ...

the only dynamic headphones i left  are dt150 and yamaha mt220 , very special headphones i couldn't not sell )

now its hifiman he560 , i am simply hypnotized by how it sounds , and i am rediscovering all my music library again because of this not so expensive but really reference headphones from hifiman !

i think i got carried away a little here and will stop going on about planars, my final word is - get hifiman he400i , you won't be sorry )

I spent a lot of time comparing dynamics, planars, and electrostatics, it definitely changed my perspective of things. I quickly learned to dislike a lot of dynamics though, let's just say I grew to dislike a lot of headphones, but I also know dynamics can be very good if done right. One big problem with the T5p, and T1 puts too much emphasis in the upper registers and not enough low-end, the DT 1770 is probably the best tuned Tesla Beyer. Beyer has a tendency to screw up the tuning of their headphones despite having excellent drivers, the DT 150 is one of the few done right in terms of tuning. Many dynamics have a problem of being incomplete, using mediocre drivers, and/or not being well executed. Modern planars are honestly generally better executed in my experience. On average dynamics are worse, but like dynamic speakers can be downright amazing if done right. There is a big problem of price not necessarily truly reflecting performance on headphones, especially when one starts getting in the $500 plus range.

I would suggest the HE-400i over the HD 650 myself, especially when well driven. It's also worth trying the planar sound.

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #1,818 of 2,575
are the Beyerdynamic DT 150 hard to drive, i have audioquest dragonfly 1.2, is that enough?

They sound pretty great to me through the Dragonfly. 50% volume is loud using USB Audio player. Who'd have thought a mobile phone could be used as a source for a DT150!

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #1,820 of 2,575
Sorry didn't see your later post

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #1,822 of 2,575
Very interesting read, I haven't done research about different driver types so your info is valuable. HE-400i seems tempting...

While planar drivers have some inherent advantages, they do not simply outclass dynamics. A well engineered dynamic can compete with the best of the planars.

That said, the 400i is fantastic and a steal if you can get one on sale.

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #1,823 of 2,575
One thing dynamics does beat out planars is midbass punch.
Planar bass while more deep is often very flat in the midbass, which is good for neutral guys but people who want some thump in their music shouldn't really get planars.

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #1,824 of 2,575
I've tried the DT150, T1 and Audeze EL8, LCDX off the Chord Hugo TT. The Beyers sounded like cold dead fish in comparison.

okay, Maybe that was a bit too much of a hyperbole but they lack a certain vibrancy that the Planars pumps out effortlessly.

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #1,825 of 2,575
I've tried the DT150, T1 and Audeze EL8, LCDX off the Chord Hugo TT. The Beyers sounded like cold dead fish in comparison.

okay, Maybe that was a bit too much of a hyperbole but they lack a certain vibrancy that the Planars pumps out effortlessly.

I'd argue the T1 isn't even in the same league as the LCD-X. The DT 150 is one of a select few Beyer models that do not have a treble mountain or some other wonky frequency response. Personally, I think they need to drop the Tesla drivers and try something else from the ground up.

Also, your comparing bright headphones to generally warm headphones. Audeze is known for their warm, full-bodied sound signature.

Apr 5, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #1,826 of 2,575
Well now. I was under the impression that the recent discussion was a comparison between well engineered dynamics vs best of planars. Just pointing out that so far the best dynamic driver headphones I've heard fall short of the best planars I've heard.

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #1,827 of 2,575

I never claimed T1 was a well engineered dynamic. It seems you don't either based on your impressions of it vs a couple Audeze headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back