Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!
Oct 4, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #1,546 of 2,576
mine is a dt770chinaMade headband cheepcheep :p

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #1,547 of 2,576
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S8K7ER6/ref=psdc_172541_t2_B00OG7VW64

this is a bluetooth dt150 :p

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #1,548 of 2,576
Any of you interested in the new T1? Already someone on Amazon said it was worse, not better than the original T1, while others say it's not really a necessary upgrade. I realize there's a thread for this, but some of you might already have opinions that I would consider to be more relevant to me, coming from the DT150.  

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #1,549 of 2,576
Of the entire Beyerdynamic lineup the DT150 is the only headphone I would consider good and one I would recommend others (I haven't heard DT 1770). For some reason Beyerdynamic insists to keep boosting the treble on thier headphones to the point of where I think they just want my ears to bleed. Totally pointless. The new T1.2 is no exception in this regard, it's still sibilant and still has that annoying treble so I got rid of it very quickly. Having said that they did make some good changes from the original T1. Removable cables. A bit more bass quantity. Usable case. Better earpads and headband. I didn't have it long enough to determine the changes in soundstage, accuracy etc.      

Oct 28, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #1,550 of 2,576
beyerdynamic t5p has a smooth treble, yet crazy reviling and detailed ...

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #1,551 of 2,576
I guess this thread has slowed down, now that anything good to say is 'preaching to the choir'. But still, I'm quite impressed by the bass response on certain songs. 

If any of you have Tidal and a decent set-up (and like Hip-Hop) try listening to Lil Wayne's FWA song "I Feel Good", the bass frequencies on that track as well, as much of the album will literally rattle your head and reach you all the way down in the gut. 

While I wouldn't necessarily describe these as basshead cans, their ability to stay clean and un-distorted down in the lower frequencies is really amazing. Lately, I've been putting a lot of attention to my source (i.e., my computer, cables, and DAC) and realizing that these cans continue to step up to any game I throw them. With a really good system you can actually get some pretty intense high frequencies out of them, as well. That means that really bright albums still sound really bright. 

After more comparison with the AKG 501, I've concluded that the DT150 is a more hifi can, but still for certain types of music the AKG 501 is going to offer more transparency in the upper mids, as well as a more forgiving presentation of poor recordings. The 501 seems to hit a plateau where there just isn't that much more to squeeze out of them, due to their soft low end and lack of truly extended highs. Also, I continue to find that with the right attention to the front end of my system I'm increasingly satisfied with the soundstage of the DT150. Using programs like Fidelizer Pro and Jplay with Tidal, or with WAV files on my computer when I make it go into hibernate mode it's amazing the kind of space you can get from these phones. The sound is way outside my head. And then again, the bass is just so tight with my Lehmann BCL in high gain. I'm sure there are other amps that can do this as well. In fact my Schiit Magni has plenty of bass quantity, it's just not as tight and clean as the Lehmann BCL I'm using. 

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #1,553 of 2,576

if u are in the mood to tweak this can....
give this a shot, tape up the  base of the cup with 1mm corkchops...
and stick a 2cm round of soft antivibration gel right in the middle.

something like this (the one i found in my diyshop is blue in color :
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__73572__Vibration_Absorption_Sheet_145x45x5_5mm_Black_.html?gclid=CLbhxpb6_8QCFVgQjgodmA4A6Q

If there something better with anti-vibration, Sorbothane, might worth an experiment if there are similar parts sold on Amazon. 

Nov 17, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #1,554 of 2,576
In reply to the first post.

The DT150 to me are very sensitive to the source, and so while the music of the demo is nice, I'm not able to hear the details that I would be able to hear if it was a completely lossless file stored on my computer, played through Jplay and Fidelizer Pro in hibernate mode where the computer does nothing but play music, turning it into a relatively good transport (though probably still less good than a multi-thousand dollar new CD player).

I can, for instance, hear the distinct Steinway sound (dry and punchy) of Robert Glasper's new live recording on Capitol Records, 'Covered'. And that sounds great. In general, I don't think streaming from the net is a good way to listen to music, even if it is probably the best way to discover new music for many. However, there are some tricks to get Tidal or Qobuz to work if you have a good dac and some extra software. The great thing is that the DT150 can help you get your source right.

They're way more sensitive than most speakers. I find that there is a slight dip in the upper mids though, which can be sibilant in some cans, and tends to take away just a tiny bit of the acoustic resonance in the upper range of the piano that I get with other headphones like the AKG K501. On the other hand, there is still a lot there in the DT150, and it's way more sensitive to subtle changes than you would expect for headphones under $300. 

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #1,555 of 2,576

If there something better with anti-vibration, Sorbothane, might worth an experiment if there are similar parts sold on Amazon. 

ya the sorbo absorbs the vibrations n adds kinetic energy to the backwaves...
the corkchops takes away the plasticky aftertaste.  :p

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #1,557 of 2,576
Try the dt100velorpads...more neutral soundg.

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #1,558 of 2,576
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKhJ2pz78ms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7or0noYfMA

On Audiotechnica ATH-M40fs for 7 years without earpad, the piano sounds awesome and sweet that was the reason I couldn't move to a newer model M40x or any highend headphones because M40fs is unlike any other headphones that brings just the clarity sounds, no muddy low end like you can feel low end in "energy" rather than subwoofer-like. The treble can be harsh as the recording sounds and deliver a perfect nuance tones and vocal that no other headphones can really achieve. The way how M40fs sounds is how Joe Hisaishi played chord keys on the last few seconds as loud as you want the piano to be to your heart's content and there is no recessed in any frequencies. Techno music, string instruments like Violins and Cellos and some vocals can sounds euphoric with right DACs that supported HF controls to unleash or maximize acoustics music experience. In my opinions, M40fs sound perfect with Steinway (feel like it's singing rather than playing the same way the pianists can understand) and Bosendorfer that could make you so engrossed into emotional songs except Yamaha pianos.

Flare Audio R2Pro iem can bring is more micro-details and dynamic than M40fs and in fact, even ETHER or highend headphones will lose to most iems, a sound that use physic to create distortion free, it was a memorable and musical like erm, first love. If there is a headphone closer to R2Pro, I would definitely get it except it was well overly expensive £2,000 for a R1 PRO that only luxury lifestyle can afford.

My 2nd hours on DT150 without earpad, volume levels has to be twice M40fs to get to the same level, 250 Ohms for sure, while still burning in Pink Noise, I can easily hear piano chord keys clearer (2-4 keys can be easily identify than M40fs) but at the expense of less mids. It's somewhat 50% of what I like in the early test, I hope the mids could be better as time goes by.

Without earpad should reveal how headphones fare and more accurate comparison. Sorry for my English.

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #1,559 of 2,576
To anyone here who has tried MrSpeakers' Mad Dogs or Ether C, does the DT150 have a similar sound? I'm trying to find a headphone with a similar sound signature to these for cheaper (though the MD are now $260 and are an option), with good soundstage. These and the Soundmagic HP150 have been recommended.

Nov 21, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #1,560 of 2,576
http://www.amazon.com/Fostex-Professional-Studio-Headphones-Closed/dp/B01686PE1O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448111248&sr=8-1&keywords=t40rp

i heard this latest CLOSED version Mk THREE a few days ago on the X1....
impressive and cohesive...huge soundscape...with some bite in the bass.

This gentleman seems to agree... :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back