Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Review
Oct 9, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #181 of 434
  I did a direct comparison with the Momentum, AKG K167, Focal Spirit One and a D1001 and I found the COP pretty impressive.
I have listened to hundreds of more headphones and have a pretty clear mental image of at least 50 more headphones sound signature and technical abilities.
Of the 4 headphones The Momentum was the superior one. It has a really full, enjoyable laidback sound and still managed to have nice sparkle in the treble. Reminded me of the LCD-2 in that regard. Nicely detailed, but the details was never forced by a unnatural spike in the upper mids or treble. Nice soundstage, not the deepest but with good separation. This headphones works with pretty much all genres like a HD600/650.

Now on to the COP. This headphones do very little wrong and a lot right in my opinion. It reminded me of a M50 with better bass impact, larger soundstage, slightly less warm mids and no annoying 9k spike. According to my memory of the M50 the COP is slightly less detailed, but I can take slightly less detail in exchange for more smoothness.  It has pretty good focus and speed and still managed to sound full and fun. This is a departure from the normal colder and thinner Beyer studio-like tonality and if you are looking for a analytical headphones this is not for you. This is not a headphone suited for studio monitoring as it's not that great at showing bad mixes or bad quality sound. I feel the change in tonality is a step in the right direction for Beyer however.
One of the best tings about this headphone is the adjustable bass even tho for me personally only 2 settings works good. This is good when genre hopping and makes it an easier recommendation to novices.  
When it comes to genres I feel modern music do this can more justice. Electronic, pop, rock and hip hip is the forte, especially electronic music IMO. For "audiophile" music I can understand why some may prefer a K167.
I don't understand the person who said this was a boring headphone. K550, DT990, SA5000 and all Etymotics are boring headphones.
If you where disappointed by the thin and slightly spiky sound of the K550, anemic T70 or the unnatural, metallic and horribly spiky sound of almost all Ultrasone models this is a more safe buy. This is a natural sounding headphone in comparison and more natural sounding in the treble than the K167 too.
I would liked to have slightly more air and clarity, and slightly more tightness in the bass, but I understand why they went in this direction. I don't feel it lacks clarity or detail especially, but for 200$ in the year 2013, maybe it's not the final say.  To me this headphone is a winner overall. This is a headphone for an average listener using a portable device or on a computer without expensive gear. 
If anyone is interested in a more detailed comparison to one of the three or any other headphones I perhaps may be of service.

The Momentum may be superior sound wise, even though I do not agree having listened to a pair for a week, the comfort is nowhere to be found. Horrific narrow openings and sharp ridges on the driver makes them unbearable. The COP has humongous openings and literally a blanket over the flat driver surface.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #182 of 434
  The COPs have 16ohm drivers, which many considered low a impedance headphone to be harder to drive as it requires more current from the source. It your source was providing enough juice, you shouldn't need a volume level past 50%.

I used to drive my COPs with a FiiO E10 or a Bravo Audio V2 modded hybrid amp and never got the volume past 40%.

On the E10 with the COP I listen in between number 2 and 3.
  So I just bought the custom one pros and I think I need someone to teach me how to headphone. I am not using an amp, I am powering this with my macbook pro and it seems to over power them at full volume... it sounds good up to about 80% volume but if I crank it up all the way, the bass goes straight to bottoming out and it crackles all over the place. I have numerous other headphones that work perfectly fine, but the custom one pros are the first to ever end up distorting and crackling under just the laptop amp... 

but powering it with my weak iphone5, it seems to be a good match where it provides the right amount of sound at full volume to be comfortable, not over bearing and still quite detailed. 

overall, these are def on the go headphones. not meant to be powered by an amp. bass really isnt that great, sound stage is decent, imaging and detail is quite pleasant, but pretty well rounded headphones, just doesnt necessarily excel in any given field, jack of all trades.

Holy mother of god max volume on the 5 for a "not overbearing and still quite detailed" sound. 60% on my 4S is plenty. You my friend are half deaf.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #183 of 434
  I don't know the answer to the above, and for some reason when I bought mine the little tool for changing out plates was missing. However I will say this. These were recommended to me by a Headphone Guru (A Mod on here no less) who knows my tastes very well and nails it every single time, as he did with these.

I like my Bass, but I like everything else too.

Now I won't give a full review yet, I will one day, but I will say (and have a look at my inventory) that for the price you get one hell of a good headphone, for my tastes, and to my ears they are not all that far behind some "Flagships".

Build Quality is TANK, and they sound delicious, I use MAX Bass.

I also find that they are a great headphone for proving how boosting or reducing one frequency range can really affect your impressions of the other ranges and thus the cans themselves. They are still there, you just get a different perspective on everything when bass is boosted or reduced.

They serve as a good reference for that, and I would say also for people who are not quite sure exactly what their tastes are yet. I think I would probably have bought these first had I known then what I know now, before going into the higher end stuff, they really could be a useful tool and a worthy point on the journey.

Highly recommended from me.

The tool is under the top flap in the box.

Nov 15, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #184 of 434
In the past week of nonstop researching to find the perfect bass cans that would potentially fit my likings... I went from xb500 to 700 to 1000 to 500vs1000 to 500vs700 to 700vs1000 to pro900 to dj1pro to sr80 to sr80 vs 255 back to xb500 to hp100 to hp100 vs xb1000 to ue6000 to m80 to m100 to lp2 to finally cop, cop vs xb500 to cop vs hp100 to cop vs pro900 to cop vs xb1000 to finally cop for $170 on amazon with my $10 credit.

..... I think I made the right decision last night. I went to bed with a smile. Can't wait to get it lol

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #186 of 434
Haha, nah. I didn't buy all of those and return it. Just reading endless amount of threads. Only problem is now I'm getting 2 cops because razordogaudio ended up accepting my offer on their eBay listing. Which I couldn't back out from. Whoops :)

I bought my bro the ue6000 so I know how those sound. Listened to the m80 and lp2. Been wanting to test the pro900, never got the chance to.

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #187 of 434
Other headphones in the price range are technically superior but the COP is just so damn satisfying to listen to. Plus, no other cans anywhere near the price are made in Germany apart from other Beyers obviously.

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #189 of 434
Other headphones in the price range are technically superior but the COP is just so damn satisfying to listen to. Plus, no other cans anywhere near the price are made in Germany apart from other Beyers obviously.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Yep. The cop's were my goto's until I got my note 3. They are just so satisfying and portable when I dont want to carry my amp and extra cables. Definitely can probably do better sound quality for the price, but for the build quality, fit, velour pads adding to fit and comfort it's hard going backwards. Now my dt770 250ohm's get some attention though with my note3. Looking to get a c5 amp soon and see what they're really capable of.

Nov 27, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #190 of 434
In the past week of nonstop researching to find the perfect bass cans that would potentially fit my likings... I went from xb500 to 700 to 1000 to 500vs1000 to 500vs700 to 700vs1000 to pro900 to dj1pro to sr80 to sr80 vs 255 back to xb500 to hp100 to hp100 vs xb1000 to ue6000 to m80 to m100 to lp2 to finally cop, cop vs xb500 to cop vs hp100 to cop vs pro900 to cop vs xb1000 to finally cop for $170 on amazon with my $10 credit.

..... I think I made the right decision last night. I went to bed with a smile. Can't wait to get it lol

I can tell you the xb500 and 700 will blow the COP out of the water for pure face tickling bass, but for detail and depth, the COP are very well rounded and are much more enjoyable to listen to on a daily basis. But sony xb hands down wins the cake in sheer awe factor with bass for when youre in one of those moods :wink:

btw guys, if youre looking for a good song to test sound stage, detail and bass check out ninth wave by trifonic. became my new test song for all cans. 

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #191 of 434
Hello guys, just received my COP. I have some troubles putting the cable in it so right now using a v-moda one. Does any one have any recommendation for a fitting cable? Thanks!

Dec 20, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #192 of 434
So after some burnin i'm finally testing them. First I think that the clamp isn't strong enough, just pressing the cups a little bit more and I find the sound more engaging, don't know if it's due to the fact that i was used a AKG K191DJ which is a clamping king... But that point disappoints me.

Second, they are bigger than I thought, i'm still not sure if i'll dare get out with those... Third the cable which came with it is hard to fit in (i couldn't do it until now and i'm scared of breaking it in case i would return the headphones).

So voilà, i'll need some more time to test it but for the moment i'm more in favor of returning it than keeping it.

Do you also have clamping issue? Is there a way to resolve that?

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #193 of 434
I wouldn't say the cable is hard to fit in. There is a small cut at the end of the cable which goes to your headphones and this "cut" indicates the only way how to positioned the cable in the hole.

Anyway, I enjoy these for a month now and am very content with the purchase.

To have the bass switch right on cans is pretty convenient. I almost gave up on buying new headphones, the over-bass had been the biggest issue with headphones I tried so far (we all have a different taste). But with this little treasure I can switch it to my liking. Still I only dare to switch only between first two positions, because I wouldn´t like to unballance a hand on the seismometr too much (I imagine pos. 4 makes some entry on Richter scala, right?) and also I prefer clean sound to too bassy, ie 1. pos. on the bass switch goes nicely to pop, rock, jazz etc. music and second pos. suits well to f.e. Carmina Burana or basically to classical music.

As I wrote I have Customs for just a month or so so I haven't found any flaws yet. When I do, I'll post it here.

I use Customs with Fiio e07k and PC (Foobar and Aimp).

Happy new year

Jan 13, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #194 of 434
Strongly considering getting a a pair for my travel cans, when I get my LCD-XCs later this month.
Glad to hear they compare well to the DT770 Pros (which I have a pair of, but haven't used in awhile).

My question is, do you hear any difference in isolation when going between the different settings?

Thanks

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #195 of 434
  Downgrade?
I totally retired my hd-25's after getting the COP's.
I even prefer them over my Amperior and dt-770 pro anniversary.
Comfort to my ears, physically and sonically.

How specifically did you feel the COPs beat the DT-770 Pro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back