Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Review
Feb 22, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #211 of 434
  I believe the model number you have is called the mdr x10 here in the US which does not have nearly as much bass as the old XB500/700 line up. In fact the mdr x05 have more kick in the face mid frequency bass than the x10 but not as capable of hitting the lower frequencies.

Although I do not agree with this, since I have tried the entire XB line up that was on display at the Sony store, but since it was only a few seconds per headphone I guess you could be right. 

If that's the case tho, the COPs with the bass set on 4 could be comparable with the XB920(X10) in terms of bass kick? I guess it should even sound better over all as it seems the COPs seem to be well regarded in terms of detail although not at audiophile standards.

The thing is I love the bass on the XB920/X10 that i have, and the clarity is good enough since I'm a "fun" listener more than a critical audiphile. It's just that the on ear type that presses down on my ear becomes unbearable after a short period of time. I can barely get through a movie with out respositioning them on my head. 

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #213 of 434
So I broke my COPs in with noise for a week and then took them on a trip. First observation is that I no longer needed my Fiio E12 amp. The X3 by itself was indistinguishable. I settled on setting two for bass. Nice 'phones, good isolation. Then I came home and compared them straight up to my DT770 Pro 80s with leather pads. It didn't take much switching back and forth to come to the conclusion that the DT770 is simply smoother and more listenable. I think they gave something up with the COPs when they increased the efficiency. 

I will be selling my COPs.

Mar 2, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #214 of 434
On the other hand, you can't really drive the DT770 straight from a dap to the same levels as the COP.

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #215 of 434
While true in general, my FiiO X3 has plenty of drive for them.

Mar 7, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #216 of 434
Hey guys , I have a question for you. Well I live in qatar and lot of stuff ain't available here so I'm ordering a pair of headphones from the US and the shipping is quite expensive so I won't be considering replacing it. That being said , I wanted to ask you if the custom one pros ( yes I'm buying it cause you suggested and also cause I'm a bass head. ) sound equally good on apple devices and android ( say samsung ) ? I mean if you see the beats or skull candy headphones , they sounds wayyyy better on apple devices than on android devices. I'm hoping you'll answer cause I have to order them quickly :3

Mar 7, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #217 of 434
  Hey guys , I have a question for you. Well I live in qatar and lot of stuff ain't available here so I'm ordering a pair of headphones from the US and the shipping is quite expensive so I won't be considering replacing it. That being said , I wanted to ask you if the custom one pros ( yes I'm buying it cause you suggested and also cause I'm a bass head. ) sound equally good on apple devices and android ( say samsung ) ? I mean if you see the beats or skull candy headphones , they sounds wayyyy better on apple devices than on android devices. I'm hoping you'll answer cause I have to order them quickly :3

The individual device should make for more difference than the OS. Look for reviews on the devices you are thinking of buying.
These 'phones are designed to be driven by a portable device.

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #219 of 434
Mar 7, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #220 of 434

It depends on the device itself. iPhones in general have good sound quality, but not every Android device does. If it's a newer device it should be fine, particularly Samsung or HTC. 

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #222 of 434
Yeah the limited editions are all 32

Thought so. These are similar in drive requirements to the COPs.
Would be interesting to compare the LE to the COP.

Mar 8, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #223 of 434
the COPs sound fine on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Wolfson DAC), but I did notice they seem more powerful with my Fiio E18 KUNLUN especially regarding the volume. Sometimes on busy streets in the city you need the extra volume to drown things out.

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #224 of 434
  I tried them recently.  In a word, mud.

I don't agree with their assessment of the COP. The bass is not dry and fast like a higher end Beyer, but I never felt they where muddy. If the bass ports where all the way up they where muddy, but that s only for serious bass heads. This was maybe the first really "fun sounding" Beyer and I have listened to almost everything in the Beyer lineup from the DT770 Pro 80 to the T1.
I feel they got the tonality and smoothness right with this one, but this is not an analytical or technically prodigious headphone aimed at the people listening to classical music. Modern music is what they do best.

I'm actively listening to the COP (right now) after comparing against several other models. What I look for in headphones are detailed sound with the ability to punch me in the face on the low end. It's hard to find headphones that do both well. The Monster Inspiration are a bit overpriced but they deliver aggressive bass with their built-in amp turned on. I can actually perceive the air movement with those! Only problem is they are a bit withdrawn in the mids, though not as bad as some of their other models.

I have not tried any $1000+ headphones, like a T1 or T5, but the COP are a welcome step up from the Inspiration and deliver pretty much exactly what I like -- great overall clarity, deep and smooth extension on the low end, plus they even rival the Monster in terms of low end punch -- a higher quality punch at that.

I really love the tunable ports, similar to my SVS subs. I don't get why these are referred to as a 'bass boost'. A bass boost in my mind is an electronic artificial boost in the low end EQ. What the COP has is a tunable port on each can -- each setting changes the size of the port, affecting the frequency tuning or sweet spot of the port, as well as how tight the sound is.

And, just as with my SVS subs, I prefer the ports wide open for maximum impact. I really don't understand how anyone could call the COP 'muddy' in any way shape or form. The low end is quite detailed and delivers subtleties nicely.

Very pleased overall.

Mar 28, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #225 of 434
I am an extremely satisfied owner of the COP and I typically use an iPhone 5 as the source. This setup works perfectly, and that's what these headphones were intended for (low impedance). The difference in performance you mentioned between Beats and Skullcandy on Apple or Android might have only been because the actual music quality/compression was different from the different digital music stores (iTunes etc). I highly recommend these headphones for any device because if these don't sound good on it, nothing will. Since you mentioned you will likely have these for a long time, the build quality and durability of the COP are awesome. I know I probably sound like a Beyer rep, but I think these headphones are just THAT good. 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back