Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Review
Jun 15, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #151 of 434
Quote:
The DT880 is way above my budget, here in The Netherlands it costs approximately €210 (that is the cheapest, other stores go from €249 and above). The COP is €179 (max. of my budget)

Is that for the Pro model? Because the Pro is often cheaper, for no discernible reason.

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #154 of 434
I suggest looking at the HD598 also.
You need an amp with the DT880 and it's tonality is rather clinical and dry while the HD598 is warmer but still rather neutral and transparent with a great soundstage. The price is good in Europe at least.
If you want a closed headphone that is more neutral look at HP100.

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #155 of 434
Quote:
I suggest looking at the HD598 also.
You need an amp with the DT880 and it's tonality is rather clinical and dry while the HD598 is warmer but still rather neutral and transparent with a great soundstage. The price is good in Europe at least.
If you want a closed headphone that is more neutral look at HP100.

Well, it doesn't matter what you say, there's always someone to disagree, and I disagree. I owned the 598 and to my ears it's not a patch on the 880. I would also disagree that the 880 (other than the 600 ohm) needs an amp. Every headphone needs some kind of amp, of course, but I've found the Pro very easy to drive and my old Marantz SR4200 receiver does the job just fine. Oh, and while I'm disagreeing, I also disagree that the tonality of the 880 is clinical and dry--neutral is not clinical and dry but simply neutral.

Maybe you could let me know what your favourite movie is so I can pick it to pieces. 
tongue.gif

Jun 16, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #156 of 434
I tried some Sennheisers but not the HD598. The ones I tried weren't that comfortable as the Beyerdynamics, I also prefered the opens (semi-open) headphones above the closed. I don't want to ruin this thread which was about the COP. Thanks for the suggestions, I will now look to other models instead.

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #157 of 434
So I just bought the custom one pros and I think I need someone to teach me how to headphone. I am not using an amp, I am powering this with my macbook pro and it seems to over power them at full volume... it sounds good up to about 80% volume but if I crank it up all the way, the bass goes straight to bottoming out and it crackles all over the place. I have numerous other headphones that work perfectly fine, but the custom one pros are the first to ever end up distorting and crackling under just the laptop amp... 

but powering it with my weak iphone5, it seems to be a good match where it provides the right amount of sound at full volume to be comfortable, not over bearing and still quite detailed. 

overall, these are def on the go headphones. not meant to be powered by an amp. bass really isnt that great, sound stage is decent, imaging and detail is quite pleasant, but pretty well rounded headphones, just doesnt necessarily excel in any given field, jack of all trades.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #158 of 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCents05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

overall, these are def on the go headphones. not meant to be powered by an amp. bass really isnt that great, sound stage is decent, imaging and detail is quite pleasant, but pretty well rounded headphones, just doesnt necessarily excel in any given field, jack of all trades.

The COPs have 16ohm drivers, which many considered low a impedance headphone to be harder to drive as it requires more current from the source. It your source was providing enough juice, you shouldn't need a volume level past 50%.

I used to drive my COPs with a FiiO E10 or a Bravo Audio V2 modded hybrid amp and never got the volume past 40%.

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #159 of 434
Quote:
The COPs have 16ohm drivers, which many considered low a impedance headphone to be harder to drive as it requires more current from the source. It your source was providing enough juice, you shouldn't need a volume level past 50%.

I used to drive my COPs with a FiiO E10 or a Bravo Audio V2 modded hybrid amp and never got the volume past 40%.

I bet you like to do 5 under the speed limit too just to be on the safe side... just stick to the right lane
*puts on xb500 and cranks out the eq and volume*
and leave the fast lane free..

regardless it seems they designed it be driven by an iphone/ipod internal 1v amp nothing more and nothing less. What youre doing is the equivalent of me putting a 10,000watt amp running multiple batteries together in my car and having it all hooked up to a 6x9 speaker. there is no need, just drive it off the factory headunit. 

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #160 of 434
lol... that's almost impossible here in SoCal.

Anyway, it's ohm's law, low impedance requires a larger amount of current, that's why you need to crank up the volume all the way. There is a lot of information here related to driving low impedance cans.

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #161 of 434
Quote:
lol... that's almost impossible here in SoCal.

Anyway, it's ohm's law, low impedance requires a larger amount of current, that's why you need to crank up the volume all the way. There is a lot of information here related to driving low impedance cans.

Yeah but ohms law is a bunch of hoopla. If I make a diaphragm out metal and have the coiling wire with a high impedance, sure itll be easy to drive, but itll sound like butt. It would very inefficiently produce sound. just apply that logic inversely with super thin membranes and low impedance :p 

these were designed to maximize on internal mp3 player amps. anything more and they fart out. regardless, they have grown on me and ill be keeping em :) now time to be all hipster and make my own cover plates.

Jul 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #164 of 434
I don't know the answer to the above, and for some reason when I bought mine the little tool for changing out plates was missing. However I will say this. These were recommended to me by a Headphone Guru (A Mod on here no less) who knows my tastes very well and nails it every single time, as he did with these.

I like my Bass, but I like everything else too.

Now I won't give a full review yet, I will one day, but I will say (and have a look at my inventory) that for the price you get one hell of a good headphone, for my tastes, and to my ears they are not all that far behind some "Flagships".

Build Quality is TANK, and they sound delicious, I use MAX Bass.

I also find that they are a great headphone for proving how boosting or reducing one frequency range can really affect your impressions of the other ranges and thus the cans themselves. They are still there, you just get a different perspective on everything when bass is boosted or reduced.

They serve as a good reference for that, and I would say also for people who are not quite sure exactly what their tastes are yet. I think I would probably have bought these first had I known then what I know now, before going into the higher end stuff, they really could be a useful tool and a worthy point on the journey.

Highly recommended from me.

Jul 6, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #165 of 434
Quote:
I don't know the answer to the above, and for some reason when I bought mine the little tool for changing out plates was missing. However I will say this. These were recommended to me by a Headphone Guru (A Mod on here no less) who knows my tastes very well and nails it every single time, as he did with these.

I like my Bass, but I like everything else too.

Now I won't give a full review yet, I will one day, but I will say (and have a look at my inventory) that for the price you get one hell of a good headphone, for my tastes, and to my ears they are not all that far behind some "Flagships".

Build Quality is TANK, and they sound delicious, I use MAX Bass.

I also find that they are a great headphone for proving how boosting or reducing one frequency range can really affect your impressions of the other ranges and thus the cans themselves. They are still there, you just get a different perspective on everything when bass is boosted or reduced.

They serve as a good reference for that, and I would say also for people who are not quite sure exactly what their tastes are yet. I think I would probably have bought these first had I known then what I know now, before going into the higher end stuff, they really could be a useful tool and a worthy point on the journey.

Highly recommended from me.

Thanks for the input, I'm a beginner and I haven't owned many pairs of headphones before, just few weeks ago I was really close to buying the Razer Tiamat 7.1 but I'm glad I didn't, I'm currently using the Razer Electra, they're probably a lot worse than brands like Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic, but I'm not complaining as the quality is decent for $55, but again I'm no pro, after using these overly advertised brands with only average quality, now I want to get my first good pair of a quality brand for watching movies and listening to music, I already bought the Sennheiser PC350 SE for gaming, seems like these Custom One Pro are my perfect fit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back