Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Review
Nov 6, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #406 of 434
Ah, Armaegis. I see. He used his COP housing for his t50rp drivers, so he was left with extra COP drivers not in a housing. I think he probably already had extra DT bodies, so he put the COP drivers into those. It's more than likely that it was not because that they were a particularly good pairing, just that he could was all.

You should use the Beyerdynamic foam inserts. Thought, if you want you can test between no foam and foam, depending on if you want more or less treble respectively.

Best Regards,
Lyova Margaryan of Tru-Fi Speakers

Thanks!

And my second question still stands if you know the answer (pardon my rookie question, i haven't modded headphones before):

Also question regarding the Alpha pads: Do i need to change only the cushions and not the included foams? I mean the Alpha Dog cup foams shouldn't even fit the COP/770, right? Can the foams even be separated from the cushions with the Alpha Pads?

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #407 of 434
Thanks!

And my second question still stands if you know the answer (pardon my rookie question, i haven't modded headphones before):

Also question regarding the Alpha pads: Do i need to change only the cushions and not the included foams? I mean the Alpha Dog cup foams shouldn't even fit the COP/770, right? Can the foams even be separated from the cushions with the Alpha Pads?
I don't think the Alpha Pad's foam fits the Beyerdynamic (unless if it's one of those cloth screens that are sown directly onto the pads), so again like I said in my first post stick with the Beyerdynamic foam circles. If the foam can't be separated on the Alpha earpads then keep them there, and reomove the Beyerdynamic foam if you notice that the treble is too low.

Best Regards,
Lyova Margaryan of Tru-Fi Speakers

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #408 of 434
Actually i looked around a bit (my pads are in a separate address, so unfortunately can't see them for some time yet), and they come with the inetgrated cloth. I'm not sure whether it is allowed to remove the original COP/DT770 cloth that is beneath the ring right against the diagraph, and just use the cloth with the Alpha Pads that sit on the other side of the ring. It's by design to have the cloth the way DT have it. But maybe i'm wrong, and it doesn't matter whether it's okay to remove it or not.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #409 of 434
  Thanks for your response!

Interesting. Though i'm not going over €200 range for now, that's for sure. So i guess used cans is also one of the ways to go.

Besides the DT770, i'm also thinking about the Argon which is a highly modded 2nd gen Fostex T50RP:
http://www.modhouseaudio.com/argon/argon

My main criteria are soundstage and imaging. I think the COP+ (i have the latest revision with the non-sticker box, though i'm not sure it has anything other different with the older versions) has pretty nice imaging, soundstage could be a bit better. They also don't clip for me. At least through E11k. But i think amping them is actually useless as 16ohm just doesn't need it. So that's why the 250ohm 770 interests me more - it can perform differently with different amps. Maybe:)

I certainly understand having a budget and my circumstances definitely limit my spending on luxury items. That being said, while I have interest in many hobbies, the bulk of my budget goes toward audio and computers. I have to be pretty judicious in my selection as I am a single father raising 3 kids(now teens) and I have chronic health issues which severely dampen my spending. With that in mind, I ascribe to the buy once, buy forever mentality. I read as much as I can before purchases, but with all opinions and the very nature of personal tastes in audio, it is difficult, if not impossible to hit the mark each time. An example is my recent purchase of the well reviewed AKG K7XX Massdrop headphone. I was underwhelmed to say the least. 

If you are serious about the Fostex TH-500RP, you may be encouraged that I got mine for $299, which by my account is an insanely good price. However, in my recent searches I have noticed they are going for full price and more $600-$700). It should be noted that I would pay full price all day long, now that I have spent a lot of time with them. Something ​I commonly do for items that are on my wish list is, I will use my Amazon account and put the item in my cart and every time I log in it will bring up a list of any item that I have in my cart that has changed price. I purchased these from Sonic Electronix, but the last time I checked they were out of stock. Amazon has 1 pair left @$399 and that is a great price right now.

I hope you find what your listening for, but don't spend a lot on incremental upgrades. That's the fastest way to the poor house, especially with audiophile gear. :)

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #410 of 434
I use the COPs since their release, I replaced the ear pads once but it has been holding up superbly. I love everything about it, with the exception of the cable that already broke 5 times, luckily Beyerdynamic keeps sending me free replacements.
Non the less I want to deal with that issue as it always seems to break at the worst possible moments.

Making my own cable has been going through my mind for some time now, but the locking 3.5mm Jack always turned me off as i don't really want to resort to using a smaller one that fits past the locking mechanism as my cable gets tugged and pulled quite a lot.

Lately a cable has come to my attention:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311682849806

(It's also sold by an Amazon Dealer Called "NEW NEOMUSICIA")

The only thing I'm really interested in is the upper jack as they seem to have produced a pretty beefy looking replacement (the only one that I am aware of).
I contacted the Seller and asked him if they sell the connector separately or if the connector is removable by means of soldering, his English is very broken but as far as I can understand they don't sell it separately, and its not removable... but i am still skeptical on that removal part as both connectors look like they are the standard soldered unscrew-able type.

I would really love to make a cable from 2m of Sommer Cable SC-Goblin and the Hicon HI-J3563S.

What do you think? Should I give it a shot or do you think the connector is glued?

Edit: I contacted the Seller in Chinese and it worked good here is the translated reply from him: "Hello, really is not twist, our line is fixed with a mold and injection molding machine. Not the general DIY products"
Does anyone have some knowledge in Chinese manufacturing and distribution? The seller has more cables that look to be from the same manufacturer, but from the reply I assume he is the manufacturer and I wont be able to get a solder-able jack...?
Hm maybe I will look into getting a jack with the same diameter (10mm) and cutting a grove in it myself.
Any more Ideas?

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #411 of 434
I understand sticking with something once you've found the desired sound signature you seek. However, are you that enamored with the COP's that you wouldn't consider buying a new cable, selling them and putting that money toward a similar pair with better build? There are better phones even in the Beyerdynamic line. I thought I would never find an appropriate pair of headphones until I finally went out of my way to try new things, and I am so glad I did. Look at V-Moda, I have the M-100 and they are well built and can take a beating and have a removable cord, I use them for my portable setup, but many would be happy in both portable and home. Personally, my heart belongs to the Fostex TH500RP, and they too are built with durability and comfort in mind. The cord itself is 4 times thicker than most, though I wouldn't consider them portable, especially with the 1/4" plug. If you are set on sticking with the COP's then look at getting a truly custom cable which, in addition to durability may improve the sound. Don't be afraid of Chinese as they make 80% of what we consume and they have really gotten quite good at manufacturing. Let me know which direction you want to go, and I would be glad to point you in the right direction.

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #412 of 434
I have been using the COPs everyday for something like 5 years now, sometimes I thought about getting a new pair but never really had a reason to do so. Sure the cable is one thing, on the other hand I don't think they will ever stop sending me free ones when they break.

One thing that bothers me about them is the 16 ohms, I always have the volume of my Asus Xonar Essence STX below 50% on the lowest gain setting, and often I heard that the Essence STX had its potential on the higher gain setting with 250 ohm headphones, I even have some nice new op-amp cans installed.
I thought about getting the DT-770 Pro 250 Ohm, would that be an significant upgrade?
But then again, I'm a student and i really don't have that much money to spend on luxury goods unless I have a good reason.

If you are set on sticking with the COP's then look at getting a truly custom cable

What do you mean by that? Are there any custom cables out that that have the locking jack? The Chinese one is the only one that I'm aware of (sadly they don't seem to be that good concerning quality from what I heard).
I have been making my own cables for years now, I mostly use Neutrik and Sommercable together with some nice cable sleeve and custom print heat shrink tubing, the only thing keeping me from making one for the COP is that damn locking jack.

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #413 of 434
DT 770 250 ohm will definitely need an amp or a phone like the LGV20 to push them. TBH, the COPs are the more fun sounding headphone. A sound I think most would enjoy. The 250s are little more clinical, need moar power, slightly recessed mids but the bass is pretty good. DT770 250 ohm isn't for everybody.

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #414 of 434
Thanks, that description backs what I heard about them. Do you know how the Grado SR80e or SR125e compare to the COP? I always thought they were really interesting.

Feb 26, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #415 of 434
Nope. Not a lot of headphones under my belt. The free h3's I got for LG v20 are best sounding EARphone I heard and I haven't heard many or any I enjoy like the h3's. I can even do extended listening sometimes as they're fairly comfortable. My h3's are portable of course and almost always with me. If I choose to bring my beyer's I'll usually just grab the cop's. If I have a new album or am in the instrument mood I'll grab my dt770's.

May 14, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #416 of 434
I got my self a 3D Printer and just printed myself an Adapter for the small audio jacks you can get online and it works great. All the other parts are the ones I mentioned a couple of post ago. If anyone is interested, I uploaded the model to Thingiverse if anyone wants it: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2218334
9XdmMUN.jpg

Jun 26, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #417 of 434
So, I had to post this. First, I've always believed/said that, hands down, the COPs are not only the best value for the headphone buck but one of the best sounding and most versatile closed (or open, whatever) cans in the head-fi world. In February of this year I bought the Campfire Audio Cascade headphones at CanJam NYC, which I've been quite pleased with and have been using at the office daily with various sources, mainly the AK SP1000 and various favorite rigs like the Theorem 720/iPod Classic 7th Gen.

Just today, as an experiment, I switched from the using the Cascade to the COPs with said 720/iPad rig. I realized unequivocally that I prefer the sound of the COPs. And it's not just in comparison to the Cascade but in general. Is it crazy that headphones costing less than 200 bucks can sound this good? Just something about the midrange of the COPs that make vocals "sing" in a way that I love. I always use position #3 on the bass switches, the sweet spot for me. I wonder if other head-fiers think the same way about the COPs. I've owned and sold so many headphones I've lost count. Sometimes I waxed poetically about a can only to get sick of its sound down the road and wash my hands of it. I will always use the COPs. Never mind the bass switch or the customizable plates, these are great cans!!

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #418 of 434
Just got my cop+ and realized that the volume is quiet compare to my 32 ohm xba-n1.... I need to almost max out the volume on both my phone & pc to get my normal listening volume... is this normal or I gotten a defective unit?

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #419 of 434
Just got my cop+ and realized that the volume is quiet compare to my 32 ohm xba-n1.... I need to almost max out the volume on both my phone & pc to get my normal listening volume... is this normal or I gotten a defective unit?
Yep, I totally get it. Contrary to what one might think, I've found that the COPs need a little extra juice to sound good, and connected to an iPhone alone may not give you enough. I'm a big Beyerdynamic fanboy in general, and I find that no matter the impedance listed, they benefit from a powered source.

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #420 of 434
Yep, I totally get it. Contrary to what one might think, I've found that the COPs need a little extra juice to sound good, and connected to an iPhone alone may not give you enough. I'm a big Beyerdynamic fanboy in general, and I find that no matter the impedance listed, they benefit from a powered source.
oic.. it's time to get amp then xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back