Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Jul 31, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #2,162 of 2,668
Honestly I found with the right tube (which was the stock russian tube the Lyr 3 used to come with, newer Lyr 3's come with a different tube), the Amiron Home sounded really good on the Lyr 3. In fact it was my favorite headphone on that amp. Not sure how the Lyr 2 and Lyr 1 pairs with the Amiron Home though.
I use the Lyr 2 so I can vouch it sounds great with the Amiron. I'm running a pair of Ediswan 6922s in it and it has great synergy.

Aug 3, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #2,163 of 2,668
I just ordered Burson Soloist 3XP after much of flip flopping between Jot2 and Burson. At least the fact that I can swap op amps can give me some options in the future and the remote....getting really lazy I guess.

Lyr would be good since I have several 6SN7s but want something simple and I need to stop collecting tube amps..

Hope it is a good match with Amiron Home and give me just a little more than V280.

Aug 5, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #2,164 of 2,668
Just received Burson Soloist 3XP and have been listening Amiron Home with it for a while and I can definitely say I like this pair way more than with V280.

Feels like the amp just man handling the drivers if that makes sense. A lot more clarity without rounding off per my ears.. Or could be simply it just pairs well with my DAC. Hi gain was way too much for Amiron Home and I am settling it with Medium gain.

Very impressed with the amp although runs HOTTT!! Remote rattles a bit (internal is solid but the buttons rattle. If anyone is interested. FYI).

Aug 6, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #2,165 of 2,668
Good evening all (well Good morning as well?). I have been enjoying my Amiron Home with tube amp and now I am in this dilemma for SS amp.

I had A90 and didn't like it much with Amrion Home so I recently sold it. It was good with Argon but never felt that I am enjoying the music (not musical?) And here comes V280. I love this amp but I feel like something is missing whenever I switch from tube to V280 with Amiron Home...or maybe it just calms it down a little too much? Comparing tube amps...

So want to ask if you don't mind, which SS amp do you use with it, if you do?

Don't want to go crazy but if V280 is not the amp matches well with it, I may sell it to get a different SS amp.

Any advise or your inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
If you can find a used Auralic Taurus Mkii I highly recommend it with Amiron and Hekv2

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:12 AM Post #2,167 of 2,668
I just want to say that I was in the office yesterday and got some nice time in with the Amiron Home in the afternoon. I'm still constantly impressed with just how good these headphones are across a wide range of genres, but especially with anything acoustic.

Sep 28, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #2,168 of 2,668
I've got my Amiron Home, coming from AKG K550 so £150 vs £420, I'm expecting greatness etc :) going to take some time to get used to. Initially disappointed with the vocals subdued. Even sounds 'behind a curtain' when listening to speech with youtubers on a decent mic. I have read it should get better with some 100 hours of wear in. With music or white noise? Driving with Chord Mojo desktop setup btw.

The bass sounds muddled with some music as it is now. Future Islands 'Singles' album sounds like they decided to make singer stand a meter from the mic.

They also creek, although that seems to be improving, just stop moving my head etc :) Actually I think that's caused by the pads rubbing against my glasses so not really the headphones fault.

Sep 28, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #2,169 of 2,668
You should give my EQ for the Amiron Home a try. I think you will be blown away by the sound quality improvement. This makes the Amiron sound completely balanced and natural, but keeps its warmish signature in place. The soundstage also further improves as a result of the reduction of the mid bass bloat.

Pre-Amplifying: - 2

50Hz: + 0.5
63Hz: + 0.5
80Hz: - 0.5
100Hz: - 1
125Hz: - 1
160Hz: - 1
200Hz: - 1
250Hz: - 1
315Hz: - 1
1kHz: + 0.5
1.25kHz: + 1
1.6kHz: + 1
2kHz: + 1
2.5kHz: + 1
3.15kHz: + 1
4kHz: + 1
5kHz: + 0.5
8kHz: - 0.5

Sep 28, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #2,170 of 2,668
I've got my Amiron Home, coming from AKG K550 so £150 vs £420, I'm expecting greatness etc :) going to take some time to get used to. Initially disappointed with the vocals subdued. Even sounds 'behind a curtain' when listening to speech with youtubers on a decent mic. I have read it should get better with some 100 hours of wear in. With music or white noise? Driving with Chord Mojo desktop setup btw.

The bass sounds muddled with some music as it is now. Future Islands 'Singles' album sounds like they decided to make singer stand a meter from the mic.

They also creek, although that seems to be improving, just stop moving my head etc :) Actually I think that's caused by the pads rubbing against my glasses so not really the headphones fault.
The Amiron is not as easy to drive as you would think looking at the specs. While the Mojo is an outstanding dac, I think your going to need something with more juice to tighten up the bass and make it perform up to its capabilities. I have the K553 which is very similar to the K550 and when properly amped, the Amiron absolutely curb stomps the 553 to my ears.

Sep 28, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #2,171 of 2,668
The Amiron is not as easy to drive as you would think looking at the specs. While the Mojo is an outstanding dac, I think your going to need something with more juice to tighten up the bass and make it perform up to its capabilities. I have the K553 which is very similar to the K550 and when properly amped, the Amiron absolutely curb stomps the 553 to my ears.
Yeah I can believe that as I really have to turn up the volume to drive the Amirons. I still have my M-DAC which I'm still selling but I could look at a headphone amp to work with the Mojo as DAC duty, was hoping the Mojo would do everything but I've gone and picked harder to drive headphones oh well :)

Sep 28, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #2,172 of 2,668
@DW75 thanks I'll look into the EQ

When EQing does it help to 'normalise to zero', so everything gets stepped down until the highest value is 0? This prevents clipping from anything above 0? I have no idea where I read that lol too much audio research lately (maybe on this forum somewhere).

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #2,174 of 2,668
Well now I'm selling both my M-DAC and M-PWR and have the Rega io on order. Will report back thoughts.
Awesome! Will be interested to hear your thoughts.

Sep 28, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #2,175 of 2,668
Well now I'm selling both my M-DAC and M-PWR and have the Rega io on order. Will report back thoughts.
Just my two cents is I have good results with the Amiron Home plugged into Burson Soloist 3XP. The amp has enough juice to properly run Amiron at least to my ears.

Darkvoice 336SE is meh? But with high gain WA6 1st gen, it sounds good as well.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back