Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Jun 9, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #1,277 of 2,669
Hi! Need an advice. I'm choosing a DAP for my Amiron, looking at A&K KANN and iBasso DX200. Did anyone try to pair Amiron with one of these DAPs? I saw good reviews about Amiron + DX200.
Maybe some other DAPs to consider? Going to use balanced connection.
Thanks.
Opus#2?

Jun 9, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #1,279 of 2,669
Hi! Need an advice. I'm choosing a DAP for my Amiron, looking at A&K KANN and iBasso DX200. Did anyone try to pair Amiron with one of these DAPs? I saw good reviews about Amiron + DX200.
Maybe some other DAPs to consider? Going to use balanced connection.
Thanks.

What I tested and can guarantee:

FiiO X7mkii (AMP5)

FiiO Q5 (AMP5)

DX200 (AMP5)

Opus #2 is slightly underpowered, Amiron eats a LOT of power, not sure if it would be loud enough for all listeners.

Jun 9, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #1,281 of 2,669
I'm not sure it's powerful enough to drive 250ohm headphones (2.5Vrms balanced output). Did you try this DAP with Amiron?
Didn't realize the higher priced has almost 1vrms less than the 1S lol

Jun 9, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #1,282 of 2,669
Speaking of devices to drive the Amiron Home, I ended up buying the Audio-GD C-2 (2017 Edition) headphone amp to drive mine, as well as my Nightowl Carbon, a few days ago. It should be shipping in the next day or two. I am super excited to get this puppy. The power output on this thing is just massive. Anyways, hope everyone is enjoying their Amiron Home. I love this headphone.

25 ohm: 9900MW
40 ohm: 8000MW
100 ohm: 3500MW
300 ohm: 1200MW
600 ohm: 600MW

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/C22015/C22015EN.htm

Jun 26, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #1,283 of 2,669
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased the Amiron Homes and they arrived yesterday. Out of the box the comfort isn’t great for me. I may have a different/weird shaped head that doesn’t like Beyerdynamic headphones haha. There is a good amount of clamp force around my ears and jaw, causing almost a headache. I have extended the headband further up by one notch and now the clamp force has diminished, but now the earpads rest on the top of my ear, so still uncomfortable. After putting my HD6XX over a yoga block for a week they went from uncomfortable to now 2x the comfort of The Amiron Homes. I can wear the HD6XX for hours with no issues.

Does anyone have any experience with the Amirons being uncomfortable out of the box and what they did to help with the clamp/earcup pressure? I would like to see if stretching them over a yoga block would help, but don’t won’t to make them unreturnable. I also have a ZMF pilot pad I may try tonight on the Amirons. If anyone knows of any comfort solutions please let me know.

Also, the sound quality is good, but not great on my Audio GD R2R 11. Not $400 more than my HD6XX. I plan to burn in for 50 hours before testing again. I also may need to upgrade to a more neutral amp. I had a recommendation for the Audio GD C-2, but definitely a large form factor and I don’t think I have the desk space. Any recommendations on a good neutral amp with large soundstage to pair with the Audio GD R2R 11 dac and Amirons would be awesome. Looking for a smaller form factor and the budget will probably be $600 or less.

If I can’t find a solution for the comfort issues, I plan to just ship back to Amazon for a refund. Then the headphone search starts over again haha.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Jun 30, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #1,284 of 2,669
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased the Amiron Homes and they arrived yesterday. Out of the box the comfort isn’t great for me. I may have a different/weird shaped head that doesn’t like Beyerdynamic headphones haha. There is a good amount of clamp force around my ears and jaw, causing almost a headache. I have extended the headband further up by one notch and now the clamp force has diminished, but now the earpads rest on the top of my ear, so still uncomfortable. After putting my HD6XX over a yoga block for a week they went from uncomfortable to now 2x the comfort of The Amiron Homes. I can wear the HD6XX for hours with no issues.

Does anyone have any experience with the Amirons being uncomfortable out of the box and what they did to help with the clamp/earcup pressure? I would like to see if stretching them over a yoga block would help, but don’t won’t to make them unreturnable. I also have a ZMF pilot pad I may try tonight on the Amirons. If anyone knows of any comfort solutions please let me know.

Also, the sound quality is good, but not great on my Audio GD R2R 11. Not $400 more than my HD6XX. I plan to burn in for 50 hours before testing again. I also may need to upgrade to a more neutral amp. I had a recommendation for the Audio GD C-2, but definitely a large form factor and I don’t think I have the desk space. Any recommendations on a good neutral amp with large soundstage to pair with the Audio GD R2R 11 dac and Amirons would be awesome. Looking for a smaller form factor and the budget will probably be $600 or less.

If I can’t find a solution for the comfort issues, I plan to just ship back to Amazon for a refund. Then the headphone search starts over again haha.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

I have the same issue with the Amiron. A couple of members here suggested stretching them over the box, which I did. It took 2-3 days for them to get loose enough to not hurt. Don't worry about stretching them too far. What I have found out is they spring back to original tension in a day or so. So you have to keep them stretched over something to keep the tension low. Also I found tilting the cups to where they are angled towards the upper ear helps too.
I tried new ear pads and it helped but killed the sound quality. The ear pads play a big part in sound quality for some reason and it isn't the distance because I tried pushing the cans closer to my ears with the aftermarket pads and it made little difference. So unless there is a pad out there that doesn't degrade the SQ and is more comfortable we are stuck with the factory pads.

If you look back a page or 3 you will see my post about the same problem.

On burning them in, I burned mine in for about 24 hrs using a combination of white and brown noise over at MyNoise.net. What I like about their site is what ever you set the volume at it initially the site decreasesthe sound level every now, then returns to original level, and then so you aren't feeding a constant sound level signal. I think that is a good thing.

After burn in I noticed an improvement in sound quality.

As far as an amp I picked up a used Beyerdynamic A20. It's a nice amp but I plan to get an Audio-GD C-2 in the future and most likely a DAC. I listen to my FLAC files with foobar2000 through my laptop, MSI GT72VR. I upgraded the RealTek HD drivers, which bypassed the Nahimic 2 drivers/app that came with the laptop, and there was a noticeable improvement in sound quality.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #1,285 of 2,669
I have the same issue with the Amiron. A couple of members here suggested stretching them over the box, which I did. It took 2-3 days for them to get loose enough to not hurt. Don't worry about stretching them too far. What I have found out is they spring back to original tension in a day or so. So you have to keep them stretched over something to keep the tension low. Also I found tilting the cups to where they are angled towards the upper ear helps too.
I tried new ear pads and it helped but killed the sound quality. The ear pads play a big part in sound quality for some reason and it isn't the distance because I tried pushing the cans closer to my ears with the aftermarket pads and it made little difference. So unless there is a pad out there that doesn't degrade the SQ and is more comfortable we are stuck with the factory pads.

If you look back a page or 3 you will see my post about the same problem.

On burning them in, I burned mine in for about 24 hrs using a combination of white and brown noise over at MyNoise.net. What I like about their site is what ever you set the volume at it initially the site decreasesthe sound level every now, then returns to original level, and then so you aren't feeding a constant sound level signal. I think that is a good thing.

After burn in I noticed an improvement in sound quality.

As far as an amp I picked up a used Beyerdynamic A20. It's a nice amp but I plan to get an Audio-GD C-2 in the future and most likely a DAC. I listen to my FLAC files with foobar2000 through my laptop, MSI GT72VR. I upgraded the RealTek HD drivers, which bypassed the Nahimic 2 drivers/app that came with the laptop, and there was a noticeable improvement in sound quality.

Thanks for the replay. I was so frustrated with the comfort that I returned the Amirons to Amazon. Headaches from the clamp after 30 minutes of use. Used to own the Beyerdynamic DT990, I had the same issues there. My head just doesn’t like Beyerdynamic headphones haha.

Just revived my Sennheiser HD700 in yesterday, the sound is comparable to the Amirons, but HD700 is more dynamic and clear sounding. Out of the warm sounding/musical Audio GD R2R 11, it’s almost a perfect fit. I think my head is just big, I even get a clamp force on the HD700s, but no headaches.

After some research, the C-2 looks to be one of the best amps under $1000, at $450/maybe $500 shipped. A fellow headfi member was PMing me about how his Amirons sound amazing on the C-2 and couldn’t recommend it enough. I’ll probably still buy one in a few months to test out.

Thanks again for the help.

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #1,286 of 2,669
Hello everyone,
Just received the Amirons today and was going through my music library with them. SQ wise they are perfect. They are my endgame and this is after i went through (with both testing and purchasing) LCD2C, HD700, MDR-Z7, iSIne20 and a few good others. Now, since the only reseller of Beyer products in my country did not have the Amirons, i had to order them from abroad (insanely fast shipping so it didn't actually mattered). I won't go into trying to describe the sound, soundstage, separation, etc. This is subjective and not the point of this post.

I wanted to ask other owners of the Amiron: what is your part number? Mine seems to be a pretty low one: 04215. Since this is mid-2018, i take it they've sold way more than 4000 pieces. Why i'm asking this is that i've noticed a few things when unboxing: there was dirt?(some small lint from clothes, i think) inside the box and on the earpads; the original box it came in was pretty shaken up (with bent corners and a few scratches), without a seal and to make things even more hard for me, the two earpads are not identical. The left one is more wide but shallower in depth than the right one (which leads to my left ear slightly touching the inside cloth protecting the drive).

Now, i may be paranoid and since these are hand made in Germany maybe that's the reason for some dust, debris and lint being present within. This is easy to live with. But the difference in earpads' size and depth, the rather early production number and the way the package looked has made me think this was not new but rather some B-Stock or something (maybe a return or some exposed item? since it was rather early produced).

I've paid full price for them and really love them. Like even if the reseller admits to this and it turns out that all has been a mistake, i will still get a pair. But that's why i'm asking you guys for your part number and if you can help me by checking the symmetry between the ear pads, i would kindly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Jul 4, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #1,289 of 2,669
Hello everyone,
Just received the Amirons today and was going through my music library with them. SQ wise they are perfect. They are my endgame and this is after i went through (with both testing and purchasing) LCD2C, HD700, MDR-Z7, iSIne20 and a few good others. Now, since the only reseller of Beyer products in my country did not have the Amirons, i had to order them from abroad (insanely fast shipping so it didn't actually mattered). I won't go into trying to describe the sound, soundstage, separation, etc. This is subjective and not the point of this post.

I wanted to ask other owners of the Amiron: what is your part number? Mine seems to be a pretty low one: 04215. Since this is mid-2018, i take it they've sold way more than 4000 pieces. Why i'm asking this is that i've noticed a few things when unboxing: there was dirt?(some small lint from clothes, i think) inside the box and on the earpads; the original box it came in was pretty shaken up (with bent corners and a few scratches), without a seal and to make things even more hard for me, the two earpads are not identical. The left one is more wide but shallower in depth than the right one (which leads to my left ear slightly touching the inside cloth protecting the drive).

Now, i may be paranoid and since these are hand made in Germany maybe that's the reason for some dust, debris and lint being present within. This is easy to live with. But the difference in earpads' size and depth, the rather early production number and the way the package looked has made me think this was not new but rather some B-Stock or something (maybe a return or some exposed item? since it was rather early produced).

I've paid full price for them and really love them. Like even if the reseller admits to this and it turns out that all has been a mistake, i will still get a pair. But that's why i'm asking you guys for your part number and if you can help me by checking the symmetry between the ear pads, i would kindly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Hi exhale, welcome to our Amiron's family! :)
I've bought mine in April 2018 (in Greece), and the part number is 3799. As for unboxing - I didn't notice any dirt or anything like that. The box itself was in perfect condition too. The purchase was made in a physical store (not online), and they unboxed this cans in front of me.

If you feel that something wrong with your pair - is it possible to ask for replacement in your case?

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #1,290 of 2,669
Bought mine in December 2016 with the number in the low 01200, no lint or dirt, and ear pads are the same. Sounds like you might have received a returned pair where the previous owner possibly did some pad swapping and forgot to put an original back on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back