Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Feb 14, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #421 of 2,669
No headphone brand is immune to quality control issues. Even the Elear has or still has issues with clicking or some sort of rattle in the drivers but perhaps something inherent in the design. The Amiron that I have has no creaking. I still maintain the belief that it has a nice build to them. @CbonUK - if you think the Amiron feels cheap and you don't have much experience with other brands then you'll be very disappointed when you try them out.

Feb 14, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #422 of 2,669
No headphone brand is immune to quality control issues. Even the Elear has or still has issues with clicking or some sort of rattle in the drivers but perhaps something inherent in the design. The Amiron that I have has no creaking. I still maintain the belief that it has a nice build to them. @CbonUK - if you think the Amiron feels cheap and you don't have much experience with other brands then you'll be very disappointed when you try them out.

LaCuffia... thanks for your comments.  I agree that all makes must have quality issues.  Its just a shame.  It causes much frustration.  I think you are missing my point about the build of the Amirons.  I was comparing them to the DT1990's specifically in terms of how they feel / build quality.  I think only the most foolhardy person would argue that the Amirons are as good as the DT1990's in that respect.  Furthermore, I was including my observations on value for money in my appraisal.  And again, nobody can argue that the Amirons are as good value for money as the DT1990's, since the latter comes with different pad options for varied listening experiences, and different chord options as well.  I have no doubt that other brands would disappoint me, including the Sennheisers.  I don't like the look of nearly all of their models for starters.  I do at least like the look of the Amirons, just not the feel.  And the fact the damned things have this mechanical noise issue only goes to support my belief that I am right in my opinion.  Different people have different expectations though, so if you are happy with the Amirons, perhaps mine are higher than yours :)

Feb 14, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #423 of 2,669
  LaCuffia... thanks for your comments.  I agree that all makes must have quality issues.  Its just a shame.  It causes much frustration.  I think you are missing my point about the build of the Amirons.  I was comparing them to the DT1990's specifically in terms of how they feel / build quality.  I think only the most foolhardy person would argue that the Amirons are as good as the DT1990's in that respect.  Furthermore, I was including my observations on value for money in my appraisal.  And again, nobody can argue that the Amirons are as good value for money as the DT1990's, since the latter comes with different pad options for varied listening experiences, and different chord options as well.  I have no doubt that other brands would disappoint me, including the Sennheisers.  I don't like the look of nearly all of their models for starters.  I do at least like the look of the Amirons, just not the feel.  And the fact the damned things have this mechanical noise issue only goes to support my belief that I am right in my opinion.  Different people have different expectations though, so if you are happy with the Amirons, perhaps mine are higher than yours :)

Honestly I think all three models are as likely as each other to have quality control issues. They do use similar drivers after all. As for build quality that can be hard to quantify. For example the DT 1990 feels more substantial and nicer in the hand as in the materials are a bit nicer, but it doesn't mean the build of the frame is more reliable. For example the HD 600/650 while it may feel a little cheap, it's actually surprisingly sturdy and will last a very long time.

Feb 14, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #424 of 2,669
  Honestly I think all three models are as likely as each other to have quality control issues. They do use similar drivers after all. As for build quality that can be hard to quantify. For example the DT 1990 feels more substantial and nicer in the hand as in the materials are a bit nicer, but it doesn't mean the build of the frame is as reliable. For example the HD 600/650 while it may feel a little cheap, it's actually surprisingly sturdy and will last a very long time.

​Absolutely kman1211.  It all boils down the personal preference and expectations at the end of the day though.  Who knows, I might buy the HD700 (or even the significantly cheaper 600/650) and absolutely love them.  I'm a berk to be honest.  The Amirons were doomed before I even got them as I read they were mostly plastic and that rang alarm bells in my head.  I guess I'm old fashioned and don't like plastic stuff.  Its odd.  I love my Marantz MCR610 multimedia player, but its plastic.  And I HATE that fact.  Prior to that I had a Teac unit that did similar things.  It was metal and I loved it for that reason.  But the Marantz beats the Teac hands down in terms of audio quality.  I ought to be as objective on 'phones as I have had to be on that.  But when the Amirons arrived and I put them on my head and they started creaking in my ears, that was a nail in the coffin that had already been built so to speak:  goes right back to "expectations".  And having had the "metal" DT1990's I immediately started to form a negative opinion.  I will always maintain that the price point is slightly askew on the Amirons though.  There is no way they are worth MORE than the DT1990s given all the extras the latter comes with.  At very best they should be at parity, but I actually think the "PRO" models should attract the premium, not the "home" ones. (But not till I have re-bought the DT1990s hehe).

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #425 of 2,669
I understand your points. Never having had the 1990 I have no idea how they compare to the Amiron. Now I am so curious to try them! I didn't like the design of the 1990 at first but it's growing on me. The only thing that turned me off is possible similarities with the HD650 clamp, which I hate. The 650 has nothing on the Amiron in terms of comfort.

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #426 of 2,669
@CBonUK, what part of the headphone is creaking? Do you by chance where glasses? I do and I know that whenever I put on a brand new set of Beyers with brand new velour pads, there is a bit of a creaking noise when I move my head, from my plastic glasses rubbing against the new pads. Its only a short time before it goes away though. I've had a new DT990 Pro LE for a few days and the creaking sound from my glasses is already way less than it originally was. I also prefer the sound of worn-in Beyer velours so I don't mind waiting it out.

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #427 of 2,669
I understand your points. Never having had the 1990 I have no idea how they compare to the Amiron. Now I am so curious to try them! I didn't like the design of the 1990 at first but it's growing on me. The only thing that turned me off is possible similarities with the HD650 clamp, which I hate. The 650 has nothing on the Amiron in terms of comfort.

Both are excellent headphones, you can tell they are in the same headphone family but have somewhat different approaches to the sound. One thing I noticed about the DT 1990 is how amazing the thing is for percussion, it has this tactility to certain instruments the Amiron doesn't have which makes it very enjoyable for certain songs and genres. I can't decide which I like better sonically currently. I always liked the DT 1990's looks, honestly they are some of the best looking headphones to me personally. But looks are very subjective. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #428 of 2,669

The Amiron has a warmth I don't hear in the 1990. I tried them both and chose the Amiron because of the smooth extension that isn't fatigung to my ears at all. They aren't as good looking as the 1990 but are the most comfortable pair of cans my head has ever worn. Bummer to hear of the quality issues, I haven't had any with mine. But it all is so subjective when it comes to looks, feel and and what someone hears. Quality issues are a different matter entirely.

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #429 of 2,669
The Amiron has a warmth I don't hear in the 1990. I tried them both and chose the Amiron because of the smooth extension that isn't fatigung to my ears at all. They aren't as good looking as the 1990 but are the most comfortable pair of cans my head has ever worn. Bummer to hear of the quality issues, I haven't had any with mine. But it all is so subjective when it comes to looks, feel and and what someone hears. Quality issues are a different matter entirely.

True the Amiron does have a warmth the DT 1990 doesn't have and also a pleasant smooth treble while the DT 1990 has a nice tactility the Amiron doesn't have and doesn't really sound like it has much added such as warmth or brightness. The Amiron is more smooth and the DT 1990 is more raw. For me neither fatigue me. Honestly it's like the HD 600 vs HD 650 all over again, except this time there is a large fit and look difference.

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #430 of 2,669
People seem to be going on about the build, the 1990 only has a metal faceplate, not the whole cup. And the headband is synthetic leather and both pairs of pads are velour.

The Amiron uses alcantara, which if I'm right, is more expensive to produce than synthetic leather and velour.

Also the cable argument, yes the 1990 come with 2, but they are single sided and not wired for balanced use, I personally prefer the dual sided cable.

Just some thoughts anyway... And I had no creaking from the pair I used, as with new shoes and everything else, they may take a day or two to wear in tighter plastic parts.
Both the 1990 and Amiron are great, and it is hard to choose which pair I'll buy, but for my usage I think the Amiron are more suitable. I want a pair I can put on and have comfort and smooth sound.

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #431 of 2,669
  @CBonUK, what part of the headphone is creaking? Do you by chance where glasses? I do and I know that whenever I put on a brand new set of Beyers with brand new velour pads, there is a bit of a creaking noise when I move my head, from my plastic glasses rubbing against the new pads. Its only a short time before it goes away though. I've had a new DT990 Pro LE for a few days and the creaking sound from my glasses is already way less than it originally was. I also prefer the sound of worn-in Beyer velours so I don't mind waiting it out.

​I don't wear glasses.  I'm not entirely sure where it is creaking.  Maybe that's the wrong adjective.  Its probably more of a click.  Its a mechanical sound of one part moving against another.  And I also noticed that if I tilted my head to either side, as if cocking your head to hear something better, I got some kind of sound which I thought could even be the drivers poorly seated.  Who knows what the problem was, since the headphones are on their way back to Amazon anyway. 

​How are you liking the DT990 Pro LE ?  Where did you buy them from ?  Have you heard any of the newer models being discussed, to be able to compare your 990s to those ?

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #432 of 2,669

​Ahh so that's why you were so adamant that you felt the Amirons were great quality :)  Seriously if you held both in your hands and didn't know anything else about them, I personally feel you would (on materials alone), put the Amirons significantly cheaper than the DT1990s, and certainly not more expensive.  I don't know about the HD650 clamp so cannot comment on that.  Each manufacturer is different, I do know.  I think there may even be clamping force figures available for all these models, so it may be possible to compare them that way, but again, other variables will affect the feel of headphones such as head shape, ear size, thickness and material of earpads.  Its not just the clamping force I am beginning to realise.  I'm not used to headphones at all and prior to the DT1990s I had only had the Grados which basically sit on your head like a loose cloth, they are so loose.  So going from those to the 1990s was a bit of a culture shock.  That, coupled with my brief panic I had spent too much money, made me irrationally return them.  The Amirons are looser for shure... oops SURE, lol.  (Too much headphone research).  But I actually have realised I prefer a firmer fit.  And I have heard you can loosen most headphones clamping force by gently easing the metal.  Not that I intend to when I get my new DT1990s :)

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #433 of 2,669
Well, comfort is paramount for me and the Amiron is right up there with my Sony in that department. It's not just the light clamp factor either. I had them on last night for about an hour and now I know when people say you hardly realize you are wearing them. The music becomes the focus not what's on your head. They chose the materials for a reason. The use of metal creates the perception of better quality but it's not a question of headphones for different purposes - home v studio. At least that's how it's marketed. Of course you can use the 1990 for home listening.

I've tried about 15 headphones the past year. There is no perfect headphone and there is always some compromise. It's about finding the right balance and making sure your priorities are met.

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #434 of 2,669
  I'm going to hold off returning them as I have plenty of time to. First I want to see if the distortion goes away on it's own.

I actually had a similar experience. I own one of the first T90 Jubilee units (mostly as a collector's item, always was always has been), when I plugged them in to try them out even though I was fully aware I was most likely going to dislike the sound as I'm treble sensitive, they actually sounded alright out of some of my tube amps so I kept on using them for a couple days - after like 20 hours of use the left driver just started distorting like crazy, I was just about to have them sent to Beyer for repair and then the distortion just magically went away. One of the weirdest things I've experienced. I thought it was a fluke but I had it running for a few days through my bedroom system whilst working from home (different set up in the living room) and every time I'd go and check there'd be zero distortion still.

They have been stored/on display only for over a year now so no idea if the problem would ever re-emerge but still, such a bizarre happening.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #435 of 2,669

Considering the Amiron, DT1770, and DT1990 were already on sale for 30% or more off their list price, only a couple of months after their release, it won't be long until you can get them at 50% off (and some third-party sellers on Amazon have already had them that low).  I'd give it to next Christmas at most.  Give it longer and you'll get them even cheaper.  Hell, the T90's have been on sale for 65% off their list price.

I was wiling to pay the premium of $425 to be an early adopter.  Maybe they'd be worth stretching up to $475 (a 20% discount off price) but no way would I'd pay $600 for them.  At that point, I'd save up another $200 and buy the Elear (and yes, you can get them for 20% off too).

Those 3rd party sellers on Amazon offering these models for 50% off are either selling stolen merchandise or taking a loss. As an authorized Beyer dealer, I can tell you it costs me much more than that to get units in stock and Beyer has a strict Minimum Advertised Price policy. I know many buyers don't really care if a dealer can actually make a profit on a sale, but this kind of talk is disheartening.

As for the Elear, you should listen to it before deciding it's better than the DT1990 or Amiron. To my ears it is inferior. Great slam and dynamics, but weird unrefined treble. (That's just my two cents...Hey, same as my profit on these Beyers if I start price-matching the Amazon losers!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back