Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Feb 13, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #406 of 2,668
I am not a big believer in burn in but will keep an open mind with possible effect on the Amiron. Remember that magical 150 hours with the NH? I had to laugh at all those comments about how they dramatically changed in sound. Always thought it was nonsense.

I'm not huge on burn-in either but it does happen some in my experience, but it won't completely change a headphones, it's pretty much always very subtle imho, the NH barely changed if at any. It didn't become clearer or anything, that was just adjusting to the sound. With the Beyers it's not really a frequency change, I just find at some point the sound starts becoming really sweet and gains a little bit more body. My main problem with the Amiron until today was where was the euphony compared to the DT 1770 and DT 1990, well it showed itself, lol. These are the Tesla 2.0 drivers I know and love. My impressions haven't changed in that I still find the DT 1990 more upper mid-forward, slightly brighter, and more linear bass.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #407 of 2,668

​I totally agree.  I wouldnt mind so much if their price was a bit less, say £75 or $100 less than the DT1990s, but they are actually more.  The RRP is given as 599 euros in Europe I believe. For both the 1990s and Amirons, and yet you pay more for the Amirons than the DT1990s but they are less value.  Its all a bit weird. 

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #408 of 2,668

​I totally agree.  I wouldnt mind so much if their price was a bit less, say £75 or $100 less than the DT1990s, but they are actually more.  The RRP is given as 599 euros in Europe I believe. For both the 1990s and Amirons, and yet you pay more for the Amirons than the DT1990s but they are less value.  Its all a bit weird. 

I guess they're trying to hike up the price based on consumer appreciation instead of cold hard value of the product. Even the unusual naming suggests something like that. But the DT 1990 is still retailing at the same level, at 600 €. It was way below 500 € for a while but went back up. Pretty crappy for me, as I was going to order them on Sunday a week ago and thought to wait a couple days more and then on Tuesday morning +120 €...
confused.gif

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #409 of 2,668

​Thats always the way.  The Amirons were actually 350 euros on Amazon for a brief time last year.  I know someone who bought a few pairs and is now selling them for a profit, LOL.

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #410 of 2,668
My current go-to headphones are Sennheiser HD600 & HD650 and Focal Elear, but I'm considering the Amiron for something different, something with more presence in the treble.  Do you think the Amiron offers enough of a different sound, or is it true that they are close to the HD650?

I have the HD600, Elear and Amiron. The Amiron is warmer, and has a more holographic soundstage. Where I find the Elear to be very powerful with an immediate and dynamic sound. The Amiron sounds like you are standing in front of a soundboard in a music hall. The sounds like you are in the first few rows. Harder to set the volume, but so impactful and intense while still sounding open. I can't give you a technical explanation, but I love my Amiron's. The most comfortable set of cans I own.

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #411 of 2,668
I have the HD600, Elear and Amiron. The Amiron is warmer, and has a more holographic soundstage. Where I find the Elear to be very powerful with an immediate and dynamic sound. The Amiron sounds like you are standing in front of a soundboard in a music hall. The sounds like you are in the first few rows. Harder to set the volume, but so impactful and intense while still sounding open. I can't give you a technical explanation, but I love my Amiron's. The most comfortable set of cans I own.

The Elear sounds like the first few rows. Left that out... And the HD600 to me is closer to the Amiron than the Elears. The Elears are their own thing all together. I don't tend to compare headphones against one another. I think they all sound unique in their own way.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #413 of 2,668
Did you discover that at higher volumes or was it noticeable at normal listening levels?    Just so I can keep an eye out for that too.  I wouldn't know what it would sound like.  I don't listen to bass heavy music like EDM or rap. 

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #414 of 2,668
  Well I'm going to have to return my Amiron to Amazon, it developed a bass rattle. 

Probably just a hair stuck in the cloth covering the drivers. Happens all the time with my Beyers & Senns. Use a lint roller or a piece of tape to remove all of the hair & dust covering the pads & driver.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #415 of 2,668

Probably just a hair stuck in the cloth covering the drivers. Happens all the time with my Beyers & Senns. Use a lint roller or a piece of tape to remove all of the hair & dust covering the pads & driver.

Yes, I have. It's not hair, already checked that. It's more on the right driver This doesn't happen on my DT 1990 at even much higher volumes. It is noticeable at normal listening volumes. It's also not the rubber washer on the back not being properly aligned as was the case on my DT 1770. This sounds like the drivers are breaking-up with sub-bass.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #416 of 2,668

I don't think so. Beyerdynamic is notorious for poor quality control (or manufacturing processes), really. Personally I've owned six pairs of Beyers and two of them broke up in a similar way. They have even noted this issue on their website on their FAQ. Incidentally, I think both my headphones suffered also from a broken right-side driver.

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #418 of 2,668
I'm going to hold off returning them as I have plenty of time to. First I want to see if the distortion goes away on it's own. I had a K612 that had even worse issues and the distortion disappeared with use, and the Tesla 2.0's use multi-layer membranes like the AKGs. I may keep them and just send them to Beyer for repair. Also I did try swapping the drivers of the DT 1770, DT 1990, and Amiron and all of them sounded different. Especially the DT 1770 ones. While they may seem to be the same, I don't think they actually are, I think the tuning of the drivers themselves may be a bit different. I'm just a bit annoyed as I was really starting to enjoy the Amirons.

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #419 of 2,668
  Well I'm going to have to return my Amiron to Amazon, it developed a bass rattle. 

​That's not good.  I'm beginning to wonder about the quality control on these.  First mine creaked every time I moved my head, now yours has developed a problem :frowning2:  Sorry to hear you have a problem with them though, as I know you liked them.  Will you replace ?

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #420 of 2,668

​That's not good.  I'm beginning to wonder about the quality control on these.  First mine creaked every time I moved my head, now yours has developed a problem :frowning2:  Sorry to hear you have a problem with them though, as I know you liked them.  Will you replace ?

I'm giving them a bit more time, hopefully it resolves itself like it has with a couple headphones I've had in the past. If it doesn't go away with a few days of heavy pink-noise burn-in, then I will replace them or return them and put money into upgrading my system. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back