Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Feb 13, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #391 of 2,667

One benefit of the Amiron is you can use the same cable with your Elear - if you buy them next 
wink.gif

I've got the upgraded 1.4m cable and the 2m balanced cable which I use with both my Amiron and Elear.  Someday I'll buy the T1.2 also, just cause I can reuse the cabled with them too - though I'll wait until I can buy them for $600 
biggrin.gif
 I missed some of the recent sales for $550, $650, etc.

Don't get me started on cables! I don't understand why "home users" get the shaft in terms of extra's.

Beyer have the Amiron Homes listed with a 3m cable, but i'm reading elsewhere it's only 1.5m which is extra salt in the wound! 
mad.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #392 of 2,667
It's pointless to debate price. Everything is over priced anyway. Is the Elear worth $1K? Is the Utopia worth $4K? I've been seeing a few Elears on sale in the classifieds lately. Seems that there is the inevitable backlash to the hype.

Agreed, audio in general is overpriced. The Elear is definitely overhyped, not the deal of the century at $1K people made it out to be. Good headphones, but not sure why the Elear and Utopia got such hype behind them. 

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #394 of 2,667
  Honestly there really is only a small difference in the the 10khz treble peak between the two headphones, the DT1990 has a little more bite that's it. The Amiron has a wider treble peak, so it could argued to be a smidgen brighter up top than the DT 1990 but because the peak is wider, it's a little smoother in the treble too. Midrange wise the DT 1990 is a bit more vivid due to more energy in the 1-2khz region.

I heard it a couple times, remember the treble being an issue on some tracks. But don't know it well.

Thanks for all same! I'm not an expert so any input from people with experience is help
beerchug.gif

I think it sounds like i've made the right choice with the Amiron's considering most 1990 reviews mention it treble, depite some of the conflicting user reports.

I suppose i'll never truly know without trying both myself, as a lot is subjective to how we each hear. I believe someone in this thread described the HE400i's as bright, which really surprised me as i'd never heard that mentioned in regards to those before.

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #395 of 2,667

I'm keeping an eye out for a good sale on the DT1990 since ultimately I want to add them to my collection, but I'm content for now cycling through the Amiron, Elear, and HD650 for most of my listening.

Yeah, keep an eye out. Curious to see more impressions of the two. So far it seems I'm one of the only people who actually have both, the only one who is vocal at least. I'm honestly debating selling the Amiron and getting a Lake People G100-FE or possibly a Chord Mojo. I don't want to discourage people from trying the Amiron, it's a great headphone, I really just want to help shed light on the differences of it and the DT 1990 because so many are debating between those two headphones. 

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #396 of 2,667
  Agreed, audio in general is overpriced. The Elear is definitely overhyped, not the deal of the century at $1K people made it out to be. Good headphones, but not sure why the Elear and Utopia got such hype behind them. 

What hi-fi product doesn't ride on hype? Look at the nighthawk, IMO they are just terrible. But it seems many like them.

Feb 13, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #397 of 2,667

Thanks for all same! I'm not an expert so any input from people with experience is help
beerchug.gif

I think it sounds like i've made the right choice with the Amiron's considering most 1990 reviews mention it treble, depite some of the conflicting user reports.

I suppose i'll never truly know without trying both myself, as a lot is subjective to how we each hear. I believe someone in this thread described the HE400i's as bright, which really surprised me as i'd never heard that mentioned in regards to those before.

I actually found the HE-400i's treble a bit annoying so I understand why people complain about it. It is preference and also different ears. There are some rather conflicting comparisons of the Amiron and DT 1990 so far. I'm thinking these headphones are hitting different hearing sensitivity spots with people is the problem.

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #399 of 2,667
  True. I owned a pair of hawks, got them a lot cheaper than MSRP though. The Nighthawks have some stuff going for it, but man that etched treble, ugh. 

That's like with Grado, I only by from one particular retailer since I get 20% off new Grado headphones. I refuse to spend $300 on SR-325e's since I've had everything from the old goldies to the ie's.

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #400 of 2,667

What hi-fi product doesn't ride on hype? Look at the nighthawk, IMO they are just terrible. But it seems many like them.

Yeah, I got caught in the NH hype too....I actually liked them until I got the Z1R and realized they sounded quite muffled in comparison.  They also gave me fatigue despite the so-called "laid back" sound.   The Amiron is superior to the NH too.  The only thing the NH had going for it was the comfort of the ear pads and the nice headband suspension.

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #401 of 2,667

Yeah, I got caught in the NH hype too....I actually liked them until I got the Z1R and realized they sounded quite muffled in comparison.  They also gave me fatigue despite the so-called "laid back" sound.   The Amiron is superior to the NH too.  The only thing the NH had going for it was the comfort of the ear pads and the nice headband suspension.

I got fatigue from them as well. I sadly got a bit caught up also. Then a friend of mine gave me a pair of DT 1770s and then I got my first pair of DT 480s, let's just say the NH was forever ruined for me, was a chore to listen to them. The Hawks aren't laid-back, the Amirons are somewhat. The DT 1990 aren't laid-back but they still sound less fatiguing and more musical than the Hawks. And the DT 480 is just void of grain. I honestly like all the new Teslas more than the NH's. I am still struggling between the DT 1990 and Amiron some, I don't feel confident on which I truly like better yet and i'm using both around the same right now. Problem is which I prefer is heavily dependent on my mood. Trying both out on Vinyl finally. Don't have much vinyl, but going to compare them on Pink Floyd The Dark Side of the Moon, which my parents had. 

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #402 of 2,667
I will keep on the lookout for the DT 480.  The one on eBay doesn't seem to be in good shape.  It's amazing how great some vintage headphones can sound as compared to modern ones.  I had a 40 year old Stax SR-5 that sounded fantastic.   I guess I am on a Beyerdynamic kick now.   It goes in cycles.  Last year was all about Stax, then I went back to dynamic headphones.  I wasn't a big fan of planars though.   I may try out a DT 150 soon. 

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #403 of 2,667
  I will keep on the lookout for the DT 480.  The one on eBay doesn't seem to be in good shape.  It's amazing how great some vintage headphones can sound as compared to modern ones.  I had a 40 year old Stax SR-5 that sounded fantastic.   I guess I am on a Beyerdynamic kick now.   It goes in cycles.  Last year was all about Stax, then I went back to dynamic headphones.  I wasn't a big fan of planars though.   I may try out a DT 150 soon. 

Yeah, that one for $100 has been on there for who knows how long, when I saw the DT 480 - 25 ohm I got pop up for around $100 + $13 shipping I snatched it ASAP. I had previous experience with the DT 480, was a 200 ohm and I gave it to a friend(sorta regretted it, but thankfully another showed up for me). I would go into the DT 480 knowing it needs some dampening(it's an easy headphone to mod though, I just stuffed some foam inside it, put some different pads, etc. You can see what I did in the DT 480 thread, what the thread starter is a bit more extreme), you have to get it's resonance under control and bring the bass out. But the lack of grain should be noticeable with some listening, listen with an open mind on them. Definitely they can. STAX's can be amazing, even the old ones. Planars have always sounded a little off to me personally. The DT 150 is great, the ignored hidden gem Beyer had in production longer than Senn had the HD 600, I always liked it more than the DT 770/880/990 from Beyer.

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #404 of 2,667
I keep forgetting just how long the break-in period is on these drivers. Should know by now as this is the fourth time I have owned a headphone with these drivers. It's really gaining that euphony I loved about the DT 1990 and DT 1770.

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #405 of 2,667
I am not a big believer in burn in but will keep an open mind with possible effect on the Amiron. Remember that magical 150 hours with the NH? I had to laugh at all those comments about how they dramatically changed in sound. Always thought it was nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back