Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Jan 29, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #1,471 of 2,669
Anyone else tried the Impacto Universal on the Amiron Home? I recently got one to those worried about the headphone being properly driven or not getting loud enough with it, don't worry, it drives them well, gets more than loud enough, and actually sounds good. In a couple weeks I'll be doing a review of the Impacto Universal with the Amiron Home.

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #1,472 of 2,669
I run my Amiron Home with the Audio-GD C-2 2017 Edition headphone amp. The synergy with this amp is awesome. It is a completely clean and neutral sounding amp. It has a slightly holographic nature in its presentation of imaging and soundstage. It adds nothing, and does not take away anything. It presents the music just as it should be. It really brings out the best in the Amiron, and I highly recommend it. It has tons of power too.

25 ohm: 9900MW
40 ohm: 8000MW
100 ohm: 3500MW
300 ohm: 1200MW
600 ohm: 600MW

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/C22015/C22015EN.htm

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #1,473 of 2,669
I run my Amiron Home with the Audio-GD C-2 2017 Edition headphone amp. The synergy with this amp is awesome. It is a completely clean and neutral sounding amp. It has a slightly holographic nature in its presentation of imaging and soundstage. It adds nothing, and does not take away anything. It presents the music just as it should be. It really brings out the best in the Amiron, and I highly recommend it. It has tons of power too.

25 ohm: 9900MW
40 ohm: 8000MW
100 ohm: 3500MW
300 ohm: 1200MW
600 ohm: 600MW

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/C22015/C22015EN.htm

What DAC are you using with the Amiron Home?

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #1,474 of 2,669
I have a Creative ZXR sound card with all opamps upgraded to Burson Audio V6 Vivid opamps. The DAC on the card for the front left and right channels is the Burr Brown PCM1794. It pairs very well with the Audio-GD headphone amp.

Jan 30, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #1,475 of 2,669
I have a Creative ZXR sound card with all opamps upgraded to Burson Audio V6 Vivid opamps. The DAC on the card for the front left and right channels is the Burr Brown PCM1794. It pairs very well with the Audio-GD headphone amp.

What I've been using almost exclusively with the Amiron and my other headphones for the past couple years as a DAC is the Sony UDA-1 which has a Burr-Brown PCM1795 and I'm most familiar and used to Burr-Brown dacs in general. The Beyer Impacto Universal has an ESS SABRE9018Q2C and I have a Lyr 3 Multibit with the Analog Devices AD5547. The Lyr 3 Multibit and Impacto Universal are new and I'm still forming impressions on them.

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #1,476 of 2,669
The Sabre 9018Q2C is known for being somewhat bright in the 6-8kHz region. The Sabre ES9006A has the same issue. I have heard both of these DAC chips many times, and both can be harsh in the mid treble region. I would bet this will not pair well with the Amiron. The Amiron definitely likes the higher end Burr Brown chips. That pairing offers such an engaging and enjoyable sound. I have seen that the newer Sabre ES9038Pro is supposed to be a much better chip than the lower models. It is said to have a much cleaner and more articulate treble response. I have not got a chance to hear it in any equipment yet, but I am very interested.

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #1,477 of 2,669
The Sabre 9018Q2C is known for being somewhat bright in the 6-8kHz region. The Sabre ES9006A has the same issue. I have heard both of these DAC chips many times, and both can be harsh in the mid treble region. I would bet this will not pair well with the Amiron. The Amiron definitely likes the higher end Burr Brown chips. That pairing offers such an engaging and enjoyable sound. I have seen that the newer Sabre ES9038Pro is supposed to be a much better chip than the lower models. It is said to have a much cleaner and more articulate treble response. I have not got a chance to hear it in any equipment yet, but I am very interested.

It's honestly not really bright with the Amiron Home, in fact the pairing with the Impacto is quite musical, clean, and enjoyable. But can't really separate the amp and dac in this case. My experience is Beyers in general seem to like higher end Burr Brown DACs. I honestly don't have a lot of extended experience with a variety of DACs, I've heard many but only ever really lived with Burr-Browns. So my time with the AD5547 and the ESS Sabre will be an interesting experience for me in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #1,478 of 2,669
Hey kman, did you see that EVGA has a brand new high end sound card out called the Nu Audio ? It has some very nice components on it, and has the AKM AK4493 DAC chip. It also has native DSD support. I have to say, this would be a very interesting card to use as a DAC to pair with my Audio-GD amp.

https://www.evga.com/articles/01281/evga-nu-audio/

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #1,480 of 2,669
Beyers tend to like r2-r DACs from my experience with them.

High-end Beyers tend to sound amazing with anything you pair them with, but something like Feliks Echo really hits the spot for me :)

I am also having a really sweet experience with a Mytek Brooklyn+ DAC

Curious to hear how Amiron sounds with an R2R DAC as well! If you can share more details, I'm sure more people are also very eager to learn more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back