Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Feb 12, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #317 of 2,668
Putting T1 drivers in a DT880 shell isn't the best idea. I did this a couple months back and found the T1 drivers to muddle up due to the DT880 internal damping being right against the back of the T1's drivers. Similar to my T1 damping mod, but way worse. The thick felt in the DT880 cups really do limit the T1 drivers. If you want a better effect, try DT990 shells. They are a lot more open and iliminate the muddled sound, but are different from the stock T1. You get a bit more air and the sound seems slightly brighter.

But anyways, after a terrible nigth and two hours of sleep, I sit here refreshing tracking on the Amirons Homes quite often. Says they are out for delivery, so hopefully they don't take to long to get here.

Once they're here, I'll compare them against the T1, DT990, DT880, HD700, and HD800. If anyone wants comparisons to my other headphone, just ask and I'll do those too.

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #318 of 2,668
OK, so I've been listening to them for two hours and they are vastly better than the T90 in every way. The treble is very pleasant, but still quite present (still very beyer). The midrange and bass are the most improved over the T90. The midrnage is no longer thin and the bass have a lot more body. The soundstage is a tad smaller but it's way better than anything in the DT line the DT770, DT880, and DT990. Overall I am greatly enjoying these and I think they compete well with my HD700 and are quite different. To those who said they sound like HD600's or HD650's, I just don't hear it. They are similar in that the treble is a tad subdued and the midrange is full, but they aren't anything alike.

Compared to my HD700's, the Amiron Home is quite a bit warmer with more present bass and midrange, but the HD700 is brighter. Soundstage is bigger on the Amiron Home while the HD700 is narrower, but still pretty good. Bass impact on the Amiron Home is more than my DT990 Pro, more than the T1 as well. Near the same level of bass to my K7XX, but a lot more controlled and detailed with better slam and decay. It's not even fair comparing these to the K7XX as they are in a different league. The T1 is also different with a cleaner midrange (less body), less bass (more controlled), and more treble. They sound nothing alike.

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #319 of 2,668
  OK, so I've been listening to them for two hours and they are vastly better than the T90 in every way. The treble is very pleasant, but still quite present (still very beyer). The midrange and bass are the most improved over the T90. The midrnage is no longer thin and the bass have a lot more body. The soundstage is a tad smaller but it's way better than anything in the DT line. Overall I am greatly enjoying these and I think they compete well with my HD700 and are quite different. To those who said they sound like HD600's or HD650's, I just don't hear it. They are similar in that the treble is a tad subdued and the midrange is full, but they aren't anything alike.

Compared to my HD700's, the Amiron Home is quite a bit warmer with more present bass and midrange, but the HD700 is brighter. Soundstage is bigger on the Amiron Home while the HD700 is narrower, but still pretty good. Bass impact on the Amiron Home is more than my DT990 Pro, more than the T1 as well. Near the same level of bass to my K7XX, but a lot more controlled and detailed with better slam and decay. It's not even fair comparing these to the K7XX as they are in a different league. The T1 is also different with a cleaner midrange (less body), less bass (more controlled), and more treble. They sound nothing alike.

​How would you compare the Amirons to the DT1990 pro and DT1770 pro, which I see you have not mentioned above... You said the soundstage is way better on the Amirons, than anything in the DT line... are you including the DT1990 pros in that statement ? :)

Feb 12, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #320 of 2,668

​How would you compare the Amirons to the DT1990 pro and DT1770 pro, which I see you have not mentioned above... You said the soundstage is way better on the Amirons, than anything in the DT line... are you including the DT1990 pros in that statement ? :)

Unfortunately I've only heard the base DT line such as the DT880 and such. So I don't really have an answer for you.

Headfonia did say their soundstage was very similar so take that as you will.

Feb 12, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #321 of 2,668

I've been out of the whole Head-Fi scene for quite a while since life has been busy.

Same here! Found myself coming back a couple days ago after ordering a DT990 LE and Beyer A20 amp. Its great to hear from you again and thanks for the Amiron mini-review. Very informative. You still thinking about making a video?

Feb 12, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #322 of 2,668

Unfortunately I've only heard the base DT line such as the DT880 and such. So I don't really have an answer for you.

Headfonia did say their soundstage was very similar so take that as you will.

Yeah, I'm surprised to hear you say the Amiron has a better soundstage than the HD700. I found the soundstage on the HD700 to be very good, not just its width, but its depth too (probably due to the angled drivers). How is the depth on the Amiron?

Feb 12, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #323 of 2,668

The DT 1990s are slightly more dynamic sounding than the Amiron with less mid-bass. I personally think the DT 1990 sounds a bit better as I find it has more body to the sound and I found the mids sound slightly more realistic to me. The Amiron has a little more of a dip in the mids which is part of why the Amiron sound a bit thinner in the mids and treble than the DT 1990. The Amiron has more mid-bass presence with a slightly softer texture. The DT 1990 has a slightly snappier texture to it's bass with deeper reaching bass. The DT 1990 has a more narrow peak in the upper treble and at times can sound darker than the Amirons.

Feb 12, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #324 of 2,668

Same here! Found myself coming back a couple days ago after ordering a DT990 LE and Beyer A20 amp. Its great to hear from you again and thanks for the Amiron mini-review. Very informative. You still thinking about making a video?

Yeah, I'm surprised to hear you say the Amiron has a better soundstage than the HD700. I found the soundstage on the HD700 to be very good, not just its width, but its depth too (probably due to the angled drivers). How is the depth on the Amiron?

I probably won't film one today but I plan to some time. 

The Amiron Home's soundstage is noticeably bigger than the HD700's. They both have exceptional imaging, but the Amiron comes out on top.

I also find it odd that kman says the Amiron have less midrange, but everywhere else says they have more midrange than both the DT1770 and DT1990.

Feb 12, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #325 of 2,668
The DT 1990s are slightly more dynamic sounding than the Amiron with less mid-bass. I personally think the DT 1990 sounds a bit better as I find it has more body to the sound and I found the mids sound slightly more realistic to me. The Amiron has a little more of a dip in the mids which is part of why the Amiron sound a bit thinner in the mids and treble than the DT 1990. The Amiron has more mid-bass presence with a slightly softer texture. The DT 1990 has a slightly snappier texture to it's bass with deeper reaching bass. The DT 1990 has a more narrow peak in the upper treble and at times can sound darker than the Amirons.

Thanks for the comparison. You have the 1770, 1990 and the Amiron. Which one do you find is most comfortable ?. Ive had the 1770 and the 1990 and for me the 1770 was the most comfortable. But I preferred the 1990 for sound. More open and bigger soundstage.

Feb 12, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #326 of 2,668

I probably won't film one today but I plan to some time. 

The Amiron Home's soundstage is noticeably bigger than the HD700's. They both have exceptional imaging, but the Amiron comes out on top.

I also find it odd that kman says the Amiron have less midrange, but everywhere else says they have more midrange than both the DT1770 and DT1990.

The midrange is clearer on the Amirons, but the DT 1990 has more body in the midrange. But the DT 1990 clearly has more midrange presence to my ears.

@stenog

Comfort depends. Honestly I find the DT 1770 the least comfortable(I used the velours, don't like the pleathers). Comfort is about the same to me. I like the looser clamp of the Amiron, but I like the deeper pads of the DT 1990.

Feb 12, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #327 of 2,668
The midrange is clearer on the Amirons, but the DT 1990 has more body in the midrange, it's not so simple of a comparison. It's more of the upper mids I notice the difference.

@stenog

Comfort depends. Honestly I find the DT 1770 the least comfortable(I used the velours, don't like the pleathers). Comfort is about the same to me. I like the looser clamp of the Amiron, but I like the deeper pads of the DT 1990.

Looser clamp is positive in my book :). I think that was the biggest problem with the 1990, the clamp was too hard. I think I have to order the Amiron. I like Beyerdanamic you get a lot for a reasonably price. At least that was my impression with the DT1990.

Feb 12, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #328 of 2,668
Here's the measurements of the two, notice the DT 1990 has more presence in the 1-2khz region, this fits with what I'm hearing of the two in terms of midrange, the DT 1990 just has more presence in this region. Sadly I don't which pads are on the DT 1990 measurements, not sure if it's balanced or analytical pads but I'll assume balanced since those are the pre-installed pads and seems more inline with what I hear. 

Feb 12, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #329 of 2,668
  Putting T1 drivers in a DT880 shell isn't the best idea. I did this a couple months back and found the T1 drivers to muddle up due to the DT880 internal damping being right against the back of the T1's drivers. Similar to my T1 damping mod, but way worse. The thick felt in the DT880 cups really do limit the T1 drivers. If you want a better effect, try DT990 shells. They are a lot more open and iliminate the muddled sound, but are different from the stock T1. You get a bit more air and the sound seems slightly brighter.

But anyways, after a terrible nigth and two hours of sleep, I sit here refreshing tracking on the Amirons Homes quite often. Says they are out for delivery, so hopefully they don't take to long to get here.

Once they're here, I'll compare them against the T1, DT990, DT880, HD700, and HD800. If anyone wants comparisons to my other headphone, just ask and I'll do those too.

Thank you for the info, so what would you pick if the DT990 + T1 drivers was half the price of the Amiron? Worth it over the Amiron, or just get the Amiron?

How close is DT990 with T1 drivers to stock T1?

Feb 12, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #330 of 2,668

Thank you for the info, so what would you pick if the DT990 + T1 drivers was half the price of the Amiron? Worth it over the Amiron, or just get the Amiron?

How close is DT990 with T1 drivers to stock T1?

Between the two, I'd say the Amiron. It's a better value.

The T1 drivers in the DT990 shells is pretty close to the stock T1, but maybe a bit smoother and a bit less airy. You can tell a difference in presentation. The T1 drivers in the DT990 shell is warmer and less airy tha the stock T1, but far more open than using DT880 shells. I'd wager it's due to the felt in the DT990's cups that smooths out the sound. I personally prefer the sound of the stock T1 to the DT190 (my name for the mod) and Amiron to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back