Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Feb 12, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #331 of 2,667
Looser clamp is positive in my book
smily_headphones1.gif
. I think that was the biggest problem with the 1990, the clamp was too hard. I think I have to order the Amiron. I like Beyerdanamic you get a lot for a reasonably price. At least that was my impression with the DT1990.

I personally don't mind loose or tight clamp. I'm pretty tolerant of comfort as long as my ears aren't being squished. Yes you do get a lot for your money on Beyers, especially if you get them on sale. 

Feb 12, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #332 of 2,667

Unfortunately I've only heard the base DT line such as the DT880 and such. So I don't really have an answer for you.

Headfonia did say their soundstage was very similar so take that as you will.

Ahh ok.  When you said the soundstage was better than any of the DT line, I assumed you had experienced the whole line :)  Cheers.

Feb 12, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #333 of 2,667
  The DT 1990s are slightly more dynamic sounding than the Amiron with less mid-bass. I personally think the DT 1990 sounds a bit better as I find it has more body to the sound and I found the mids sound slightly more realistic to me. The Amiron has a little more of a dip in the mids which is part of why the Amiron sound a bit thinner in the mids and treble than the DT 1990. The Amiron has more mid-bass presence with a slightly softer texture. The DT 1990 has a slightly snappier texture to it's bass with deeper reaching bass. The DT 1990 has a more narrow peak in the upper treble and at times can sound darker than the Amirons.

​Thanks.  So would that mean you consider the DT1990s to be better than the Amirons in general ?  How does the DT1770 factor into it ?  Is there any way of making the DT1990 less tight on the head ?  Do you feel you can tell the balance difference between the unbalanced 1990s and the balanced Amirons ? Is it even an issue for home listeners ?  It seems its a shame that you cant have balanced 1990s with the comfort of the Amirons :frowning2:  Its almost like of the trinity, (1770 // 1990 // Amirons) each has something that is a negative, but merged together they would be perfect, LOL.

I guess I will find out tomorrow, having returned the 1990s and have Amirons arriving tomorrow.  I do hope I don't end up wanted to swap back. 

Out of the 1770 / 1990, do you know which one is tighter clamping ?  Thanks kman :)

Feb 12, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #334 of 2,667

Ahh ok.  When you said the soundstage was better than any of the DT line, I assumed you had experienced the whole line :)  Cheers.

That's my bad. While I've heard a huge amount of the DT line, I've not heard those two specifically. I do really want to try them sometime, especially the DT1770.

Feb 12, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #335 of 2,667

That's my bad. While I've heard a huge amount of the DT line, I've not heard those two specifically. I do really want to try them sometime, especially the DT1770.

​That's interesting... why especially the 1770 ?  It seems to me that most people love the 1990 more.  I really am beginning to regret not keeping the 1990s now.  And since returning, Amazon has hiked the price by £60 (about $75.... used to be more like $100 before bloody Brexit, grrr).

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #336 of 2,667

​That's interesting... why especially the 1770 ?  It seems to me that most people love the 1990 more.  I really am beginning to regret not keeping the 1990s now.  And since returning, Amazon has hiked the price by £60 (about $75.... used to be more like $100 before bloody Brexit, grrr).

Well, I guess since mostly everything I own is open and I'd like to get a good closed set of cans. In all honesty the DT1990 don't interest me all that much. I've heard on Headfonia that they are a more v-shaped Amiron Home, which isn't something I'm looking for.

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #337 of 2,667

Well, I guess since mostly everything I own is open and I'd like to get a good closed set of cans. In all honesty the DT1990 don't interest me all that much. I've heard on Headfonia that they are a more v-shaped Amiron Home, which isn't something I'm looking for.

Honestly I don't know why Headfonia says the Amiron has more present mids than the DT 1990, it just doesn't align with the measurements or my listening impressions nor my friends. Maybe the more sudden treble peak gives that impression, but the DT 1990 has more body and presence in the mids at the same listening volume. The stronger mids is why the DT 1990 is more intimate sounding than the Amiron. The DT 1770 is more like the DT 1990 than the Amiron, in fact it's literally a closed DT 1990, same drivers and driver dampening, all that's different is the pads and housing, though it has a couple weird dips in it's FR range, what I liked about the DT 1770 is what pushed me to get the DT 1990.

Feb 12, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #338 of 2,667

​Thanks.  So would that mean you consider the DT1990s to be better than the Amirons in general ?  How does the DT1770 factor into it ?  Is there any way of making the DT1990 less tight on the head ?  Do you feel you can tell the balance difference between the unbalanced 1990s and the balanced Amirons ? Is it even an issue for home listeners ?  It seems its a shame that you cant have balanced 1990s with the comfort of the Amirons :frowning2:  Its almost like of the trinity, (1770 // 1990 // Amirons) each has something that is a negative, but merged together they would be perfect, LOL.

I guess I will find out tomorrow, having returned the 1990s and have Amirons arriving tomorrow.  I do hope I don't end up wanted to swap back. 

Out of the 1770 / 1990, do you know which one is tighter clamping ?  Thanks kman :)

I don't consider them better, just different, the DT 1990 aligns with my sonic preferences more as I prefer a more intimate sound. But I like both a lot, when I want a more relaxed less intimate sound signature I use the Amirons. Let's just say the Amirons are my nighttime headphones and the DT 1990 are my daytime headphones. 

The DT 1770 is inferior to either, it has a couple FR oddities and a bit of a hollowness that kind of bothered me, the only thing I like about the DT 1770 compared to those two is it's closed, problem is my DT 480 fills in my closed-back role and I think it sounds better than both the Amiron and DT 1990. It will make a difference, but amp quality matters more than whether balanced or not. 

Hope you enjoy the Amirons. Clamp is the same on the DT 1770/1990, it's the same headphone but different pads and housing. I can swap the drivers between the two if I wanted to. As you see in these pictures, this is all that's different about the DT 1770 and DT 1990. Here is the internal differences of the DT 1770/1990. I need to open up the Amiron next to see if it uses similar driver dampening or not. Though the driver just doesn't want to come out of the Amiron. :/ I just want to know if the Amiron has easily removable drivers like the DT 1770/1990 where no soldering is require to replace them.

DT 1990

DT 1770

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #341 of 2,667
  Opened up the Amiron, same drivers and driver dampening as the DT 1770/1990 and yes they are swappable without soldering as well. So in essence all three are the same headphone but with different housings. A little more open than the DT 1990.

How did you remove backing? With a screwdriver or something? Have you ever done to old beyer series (880/990) ? thx

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #342 of 2,667
The Amiron Home use the same plastic ring to secure the driver down, just like with all other DT models. Maybe I should order some DT1990 drivers eventually and toss them in the Amiron Housing?

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #343 of 2,667
  How did you remove backing? With a screwdriver or something? Have you ever done to old beyer series (880/990) ? thx

No all by hand, just take off the pads and the frame the pad goes on(same as the DT 1770/1990). You have to take off the frame that holds the pads. I had to lightly tap the opened headphone on the palm of my hand over and over gently until the driver comes out in my hand. It just didn't want to slide out earlier, had to determine how to get it out.

The T1.2, DT 990, DT 880 require a screwdriver or something. It's actually easier to open the new ones.

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #344 of 2,667
  The Amiron Home use the same plastic ring to secure the driver down, just like with all other DT models. Maybe I should order some DT1990 drivers eventually and toss them in the Amiron Housing?

It uses a different version of it. The T1.2, DT 990, etc. uses the old system.. The Amiron uses a plastic ring, but it doesn't need a flathead, etc. to come out, you hands are enough, honestly just pulling on the pads will take the ring off as the Amiron pads are snuggly on there. It's actually more like the system on the DT 440/660/860.

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #345 of 2,667
  No all by hand, just take off the pads and the frame the pad goes on(same as the DT 1770/1990). You have to take off the frame that holds the pads. I had to lightly tap the opened headphone on the palm of my hand over and over gently until the driver comes out in my hand. It just didn't want to slide out earlier, had to determine how to get it out.

The T1.2, DT 990, DT 880 require a screwdriver or something. It's actually easier to open the new ones.

Awesome, thanks buddy. I have opened up like 5 beyers, just not taken the back disc off incase i get the mod itch once they wear down and such. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back