Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Feb 12, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #346 of 2,667
  It uses a different version of it. The T1.2, DT 990, etc. uses the old system.. The Amiron uses a plastic ring, but it doesn't need a flathead, etc. to come out, you hands are enough, honestly just pulling on the pads will take the ring off as the Amiron pads are snuggly on there. 

Have you tried with the old velour pads to see sound differences or comfort differences?

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #347 of 2,667

Have you tried with the old velour pads to see sound differences or comfort differences?

No, I don't have any old velours, I dont know how the new pads sound compared to the old ones sadly.  I did try both DT 1990 and both DT 1770 pads though. The DT 1990 pads will work and honestly make the headphone more comfortable. Need to spend a lot of time and see if I like the stock pads or either of the DT 1990 pads more on the Amiron.

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #348 of 2,667
  No, I don't have any old velours, I dont know how the new pads sound compared to the old ones sadly.  I did try both DT 1990 and both DT 1770 pads though. The DT 1990 pads will work and honestly make the headphone more comfortable. Need to spend a lot of time and see if I like the stock pads or either of the DT 1990 pads more on the Amiron.

I have some brand new DT880 silver velour pads if you ever want to try them on those. I already put some Brainwavz HM5 memory foam pads on the Amiron Home and it destroyed their sound. Way too muddy with rolled treble and boomy bass.

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #349 of 2,667

I have some brand new DT880 silver velour pads if you ever want to try them on those. I already put some Brainwaz HM5 memory foam pads on the Amiron Home and it destroyed their sound. Way too muddy with rolled treble and boomy bass.

That's usually what seems to happen when closed-back pads are put on open-back Beyers, makes them into muddy bass monsters. The DT 1770 pads ruined the sound too. 

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #350 of 2,667
  That's usually what seems to happen when closed-back pads are put on open-back Beyers, makes them into muddy bass monsters. The DT 1770 pads ruined the sound too. 

The T1 sounded absolutely dreadful with those Brainwavz pads. None of my beyers sounded good with those on.

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #351 of 2,667

The T1 sounded absolutely dreadful with those Brainwavz pads. None of my beyers sounded good with those on.

The Brainwavz pads don't work well with many headphones I noticed, especially Beyers. Only thing they have worked well on is my DT 480. Have you ever had the chance to hear the DT 48/480? I haven't tried pad rolling on the T1.2, let the headphone go as it wasn't for me. I like the T1 a lot except the treble. 

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #352 of 2,667
  The Brainwavz pads don't work well with many headphones I noticed, especially Beyers. Only thing they have worked well on is my DT 480. Have you ever had the chance to hear the DT 48/480? I haven't tried pad rolling on the T1.2, let the headphone go as it wasn't for me. I like the T1 a lot except the treble. 

Unfortunately I've never had those.

EDIT:
I posted my review on the Amiron Home here > http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-amiron-home/reviews/18018

Feb 12, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #354 of 2,667
Nice job on the review; I agree with your assessment...just curious what amps or dacs you use with the Amiron.

For amps I used the Violectric V200, SPL Phonitor Mini, and SPL Auditor. For the DAC it's just my Violectric V800.

Of the amps, the SPL Phonitor Mini sounds the best and is dead neutral with tons of power. The V200 isn't terrible, but it does kinda smear the sound a tiny bit. It's due to the amp being super warm.

Feb 12, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #355 of 2,667

Unfortunately I've never had those.

EDIT:
I posted my review on the Amiron Home here > http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-amiron-home/reviews/18018

They are something special, I suggest picking up one sometime, especially when they have some dampening mods done. They are a bit weird at first but other things start sounding wrong compared to it. The clarity, speed, and body on them are insane. It's rather unnerving how thin so many headphones sound compared to it. The DT 48 is a legend for a reason, it's just incomplete but the drivers in them are honestly probably the best thing Beyer released. 

Nice review. Ah, so you are finding them a bit HD 650'ish? That's how I feel about the treble softness, it just helps me relax in it like on the HD 650. Yep, all the new Tesla's are great. I have a review incoming, will be a comparison between the DT 1990 and Amiron as I feel many are conflicted about which of those two to get for their personal tastes.

Feb 13, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #356 of 2,667
Maybe I'll try some DT480 sometime. I've heard that the DT48 is super detailed and dry.

Feb 13, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #357 of 2,667
  Maybe I'll try some DT480 sometime. I've heard that the DT48 is super detailed and dry.

That it is. I got the DT 480 because the DT 48 has the vice grip of death on it and the DT 480 is much more comfortable and much easier to mod(it's going to need a little work), the DT 48's clamp makes the HD 650 clamp feel like nothing. You're going to have open-ears with these headphones, they are different and likely won't be like anything you have experienced. And I suggest pad rolling with them, maybe add a little internal dampening. I think the DT 48 or DT 480 are headphones any Beyer fan should listen to.

Feb 13, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #358 of 2,667
  The midrange is clearer on the Amirons, but the DT 1990 has more body in the midrange. But the DT 1990 clearly has more midrange presence to my ears.

@stenog

Comfort depends. Honestly I find the DT 1770 the least comfortable(I used the velours, don't like the pleathers). Comfort is about the same to me. I like the looser clamp of the Amiron, but I like the deeper pads of the DT 1990.

Well, maybe I shouldn't bring this up on the Amiron thread, but how do you think the DT 1770 compares to DT 1990 in terms of sound clarity and sound stage? I have been lusting over DT 1990 but recently started to lean towards closed headphones which might be more bassy. I used to own a DT 770 and replaced it with DT 880 (and then DT 990) as the former lacked in every other area except low frequencies. Later I started to hate it for the tinny sound. I was hoping that DT 1770 might be better.

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #359 of 2,667
Well, maybe I shouldn't bring this up on the Amiron thread, but how do you think the DT 1770 compares to DT 1990 in terms of sound clarity and sound stage? I have been lusting over DT 1990 but recently started to lean towards closed headphones which might be more bassy. I used to own a DT 770 and replaced it with DT 880 (and then DT 990) as the former lacked in every other area except low frequencies. Later I started to hate it for the tinny sound. I was hoping that DT 1770 might be better.

In this case is the DT 1770 that sounds lacking Compared to the DT 1990. You are not losing out on bass by getting the DT 1990 or Amiron. Nor do either sound tinny, they are full-bodied sounding. You get the most body out of the DT 1990 and you get a little less body on the Amiron but more smoothness. Clarity is great on all three. The DT 1770 has the smallest soundstage. Then DT 1990 with balanced pads has the second smallest. The Amiron has the second largest. The DT 1990 with analytical pads has the largest soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back