Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Feb 11, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #302 of 2,668
The Amiron seems like a hidden gem, which is a weird thing to say being that it's made by Beyerdynamic.

The pads are awesome. They probably won't get too heated in summer. It's almost like a soft and smooth flannel or cotton like material.

That's Alcantara(headband made of the same material), one of my favorite pad materials, the HD 800 uses the same material on it's pads as does the Shure SRH-1540. It's a material that has been used in cars. Honestly both the Amiron and DT 1990 are hidden gems. I honestly have no idea why they aren't more popular. I do get the feeling they will slowly gain popularity. Can't wait to try these balanced. 

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #304 of 2,668
  Borrowed the Amiron from work for the weekend, you just forget they are on your head. So comfortable, and the sound is very pleasant, it has enough detail without harshness, everything is there, the bass has nice depth, the highs have enough presence and airiness.

Very well done in my opinion. I'm selling my Hifiman HE-500 due to the weight of them, I love the sound but don't use them enough due to comfort issues, I will then pick up a pair of comfier headphones, these or a pair of DT880's (and transplant T1 drivers in them)...

​Interesting that you would say you would get Amirons OR DT880's.... is there any comparison ?  I thought the Amirons were in a whole different class ?  £160 vs £500 ??  I'm not questioning your motive, but am interested to hear why you would consider them comparative items ?  The reason I'm keen to know is that I am still deciding on what to buy (having stupidly returned my DT1990's, although I did find them a little tight, so not without reason).  I had considered the 880s and Gunter at beyerdynamic did suggest that model to me as a worthy lower budget option.

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #305 of 2,668
  That's Alcantara(headband made of the same material), one of my favorite pad materials, the HD 800 uses the same material on it's pads as does the Shure SRH-1540. It's a material that has been used in cars. Honestly both the Amiron and DT 1990 are hidden gems. I honestly have no idea why they aren't more popular. I do get the feeling they will slowly gain popularity. Can't wait to try these balanced. 

​kman... ive seen comments about balanced (which I gather the Amirons are, due to the two leads, and 1990s are not due to the single lead).  Can you tell me, the noobie, what the relevance of this is in terms of sound ?  When I listened to the 1990s it sounded perfectly normal.  Although I had nothing balanced to compare to.  Keen to learn though :)

Feb 11, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #306 of 2,668
I ordered a pair of Amiron Home since I got my tax returns. They'll be here tomorrow sometime so expect some impressions and perhaps a videos.. maybe. I'm so anxious to see how they stack up to my HD700 ($500). They're most likely going to be quite a bit better.

I've been out of the whole Head-Fi scene for quite a while since life has been busy. One of my friends sent me a link about how these were "fixed" T90's, and that got me interested. So I started reading and heard they completely fixed the T90's atrocious treble and even warmed up the sound. I've been reading through the thread and it's interesting to hear that these sound like a HD650 somewhat as I've heard they are still very beyer. I really hope they sound nothing like the muddy HD650's, though I have only heard early model HD650's.

Oh and I saw some talk about how grey/silver velour pads change sound, but in reality they use the same material. They are just dyed differently so they shouldn't change sound at all.

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #307 of 2,668
  I ordered a pair of Amiron Home since I got my tax returns. They'll be here tomorrow sometime so expect some impressions and perhaps a videos.. maybe. I'm so anxious to see how they stack up to my HD700 ($500). They're most likely going to be quite a bit better.

I've been out of the whole Head-Fi scene for quite a while since life has been busy. One of my friends sent me a link about how these were "fixed" T90's, and that got me interested. So I started reading and heard they completely fixed the T90's atrocious treble and even warmed up the sound. I've been reading through the thread and it's interesting to hear that these sound like a HD650 somewhat as I've heard they are still very beyer. I really hope they sound nothing like the muddy HD650's, though I have only heard early model HD650's.

Oh and I saw some talk about how grey/silver velour pads change sound, but in reality they use the same material. They are just dyed differently so they shouldn't change sound at all.

Congrats on the Amirons. The new Beyers, the DT 1770, DT 1990, and Amirons do have a shift in sound signature from previous Tesla's. I find the treble much tamer and the sound warmer. I'm interested how you will feel about the change in sound from past Tesla's. Even the T1.2 was too much for me treble wise, but I'm fine with any of the three new Teslas treble wise. 

The newer HD 650's(silvers) are not near as muddy and sound notably clearer than the black driver ones. In fact I find the new HD 650's to sound a hint clearer than the new HD 600's despite being warmer.

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #308 of 2,668

​kman... ive seen comments about balanced (which I gather the Amirons are, due to the two leads, and 1990s are not due to the single lead).  Can you tell me, the noobie, what the relevance of this is in terms of sound ?  When I listened to the 1990s it sounded perfectly normal.  Although I had nothing balanced to compare to.  Keen to learn though :)

A good single-ended can keep up with some balanced. But balanced does have some advantages such as fully separating the Left and Right channels, increased power output by default, and reduction of system noise. I don't own a balanced system currently but my experience has been changes in the soundstage(being bigger), imaging being a bit better, things being a bit louder but it's given due to more power. It's not something I have done, compared non-balanced to balanced before as I just don't have the gear for that. I've only heard other people's balanced systems, and only a brief comparison of the two.

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #309 of 2,668
  Congrats on the Amirons. The new Beyers, the DT 1770, DT 1990, and Amirons do have a shift in sound signature from previous Tesla's. I find the treble much tamer and the sound warmer. I'm interested how you will feel about the change in sound from past Tesla's. Even the T1.2 was too much for me treble wise, but I'm fine with any of the three new Teslas treble wise. 

The newer HD 650's(silvers) are not near as muddy and sound notably clearer than the black driver ones. In fact I find the new HD 650's to sound a hint clearer than the new HD 600's despite being warmer.

Thanks! I can't wait to try them tomorrow. If they are the T90 savior as I've read, then it's all I've ever wanted.

Also it's crazy to think the T1.2 was too bright for you. I've briefly heard them and they were incredibly smooth. I still prefer the original T1 though.

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #310 of 2,668
Never had a T90....I've only had Amiron a couple of days and they are excellent. Perfect comfort, detailed and fatigue free sound.

I had the 650 for a brief time and from what I recall the Amiron is on another level. The 650 is way harder to get right with amplification. The Amiron is easier to drive and scales well too.

Feb 11, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #311 of 2,668

Thanks! I can't wait to try them tomorrow. If they are the T90 savior as I've read, then it's all I've ever wanted.

Also it's crazy to think the T1.2 was too bright for you. I've briefly heard them and they were incredibly smooth. I still prefer the original T1 though.

I never spent much time with the T90, couldn't handle that treble at all. The Amiron is the smoothest Tesla Beyer I've heard. Funnest and most dynamic is the DT 1990 though. Those two are my two favorite Tesla's. I just wish the DT 1990 had dual entry cables. :/

Yeah, it varied of course, but some sessions the T1.2's treble really started fatiguing me. At times I adjusted to it, other times it drive me nuts, so it was weird. The treble isn't etched or anything, it just has too much presence for my liking, likely in an area I'm sensitive to.

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #312 of 2,668
  I never spent much time with the T90, couldn't handle that treble at all. The Amiron is the smoothest Tesla Beyer I've heard. Funnest and most dynamic is the DT 1990 though. Those two are my two favorite Tesla's. I just wish the DT 1990 had dual entry cables. :/

Yeah, it varied of course, but some sessions the T1.2's treble really started fatiguing me. At times I adjusted to it, other times it drive me nuts, so it was weird. The treble isn't etched or anything, it just has too much presence for my liking, likely in an area I'm sensitive to.

I can totally see you having a sensitivity to it.

The T90 is a great headphone, and the only reason I never bought one was because of the strident treble. It was never too much for me at all, but it really made the headphone sound overly bright. So much so that it was annoying. For comparison I also own the HD800 and T1, plus the DT990, and I find none of them all that bright. 

Feb 12, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #313 of 2,668

I can totally see you having a sensitivity to it.

The T90 is a great headphone, and the only reason I never bought one was because of the strident treble. It was never too much for me at all, but it really made the headphone sound overly bright. So much so that it was annoying. For comparison I also own the HD800 and T1, plus the DT990, and I find none of them all that bright. 

Yeah, honestly I found the treble a bit hazy at times like I always seem to do when the treble is too bright. Etched treble is what I find what bores into my ears and causes pain even on darker headphones.

Just imagine the T90 to someone who finds the HD 800, T1, and DT 990 too bright. The HD 800 had the most tolerable treble(cleanest and clearest imho) of those three but don't like the stock tuning of it, but interestingly the newer HD 800 S is one of my favorite dynamic headphones. There has been a lot of warmer headphones coming out and a lot of headphones in general coming out. What's really impressed me of the newest dynamic headphones are the Sony MDR-Z1R and the Focal Utopia. 

Feb 12, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #314 of 2,668
​Interesting that you would say you would get Amirons OR DT880's.... is there any comparison ?  I thought the Amirons were in a whole different class ?  £160 vs £500 ??  I'm not questioning your motive, but am interested to hear why you would consider them comparative items ?  The reason I'm keen to know is that I am still deciding on what to buy (having stupidly returned my DT1990's, although I did find them a little tight, so not without reason).  I had considered the 880s and Gunter at beyerdynamic did suggest that model to me as a worthy lower budget option.

I would get DT880's and put T1 drivers in them, as I know a guy who has some T1 drivers I could use (fairly simple swap). Or get the Amiron... Still undecided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back