Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Apr 6, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #1,576 of 2,669
Apr 12, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #1,577 of 2,669
Just an update on my purchase. I ended up getting the DT 1770 a few days ago. I will admit, it is a good headphone, but to me, it is not good enough to keep. The Amiron is just flat out better. The DT 1770 has a resonance within the bass response that just can't be removed with EQ. The treble is also somewhat harsh and fatiguing, but this can be correct with EQ. The issue with the treble though is that if you do EQ it down far enough, it removes the brightness, but then you also lose detail in the upper frequencies. The mids are slightly recessed from 1.25-2kHz, followed by an even bigger dip at 2-4kHz. I ended up putting this EQ on the headphone.

Pre-Amplifying: - 2

31.5Hz: - 1
40Hz: - 1
50Hz: - 1
63Hz: - 1
80Hz: - 1
100Hz: - 1.5
125Hz: - 1.5
160Hz: - 1.5
200Hz: + 0.5
250Hz: + 1
315Hz: + 0.5
1.25kHz: + 0.5
1.6kHz: + 0.5
2kHz: + 0.5
2.5kHz: + 0.5
3.15kHz: + 1
4kHz: + 1
6.3kHz: - 2
8kHz: - 2
10kHz: - 1

I have to say, that with this EQ, it sounds far more balanced. The difference in sound quality is drastic. However, it still does not sound completely correct to me, and the resonance is still there. As expected, even though the DT 1770 is using the same driver as the Amiron Home, it sounds quite different. I have decided to return the DT 1770, and am now searching for something else. I am one of those guys who just likes to have two headphones. One open back, and one closed back. I could just get a DT 1990 instead, but then I am getting another headphone from this family, and it will also be another open back. The problem is that excellent closed back options are limited at this price level.

Apr 12, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #1,578 of 2,669
Just an update on my purchase. I ended up getting the DT 1770 a few days ago. I will admit, it is a good headphone, but to me, it is not good enough to keep. The Amiron is just flat out better. The DT 1770 has a resonance within the bass response that just can't be removed with EQ. The treble is also somewhat harsh and fatiguing, but this can be correct with EQ. The issue with the treble though is that if you do EQ it down far enough, it removes the brightness, but then you also lose detail in the upper frequencies. The mids are slightly recessed from 1.25-2kHz, followed by an even bigger dip at 2-4kHz. I ended up putting this EQ on the headphone.

I have to say, that with this EQ, it sounds far more balanced. The difference in sound quality is drastic. However, it still does not sound completely correct to me, and the resonance is still there. As expected, even though the DT 1770 is using the same driver as the Amiron Home, it sounds quite different. I have decided to return the DT 1770, and am now searching for something else. I am one of those guys who just likes to have two headphones. One open back, and one closed back. I could just get a DT 1990 instead, but then I am getting another headphone from this family, and it will also be another open back. The problem is that excellent closed back options are limited at this price level.

Sennheiser HD630vb

Apr 12, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #1,579 of 2,669
I think it's the best at the price point. I grabbed the T5 gen 2, and the 1770 was better in comparison, so I threw it right back up for sale after a couple days. The Amiron does sound objectively better. I've been trying to find a decent iem for the gym, but it's a waste of time. An I will never compare to an over ear for sound quality, stage, and bass.

Sorry you don't like the DT 1770. I love it, but I'm a basshead and this thing can hit pretty hard. I love the pleather pads too. Opens it up. Now for that balanced upgrade!

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #1,581 of 2,669

That was my feeling too, I'd say the same about the Amiron Home vs DT 1990, the Amiron is the better headphone, especially once EQ is applied. The Amiron Home is just smoother, less sharp, more organic, and just all around more transparent to my ears. The only currently made headphone from Beyer I would consider possibly superior is the T1.2. The drivers are just tuned different between the DT 1770, DT 1990, and Amiron Home, you may think you're getting the same thing but closed, but in reality you aren't. To alleviate that resonance of the DT 1770 modding inside the earcups of the DT 1770 is required, it's what I did with the DT 1770 when I had it, it's not something EQ can fix as it's due to the earcup design.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #1,582 of 2,669
It should be no surprise that I would rather not mod a brand new headphone. I may end up having to just get another open back headphone instead of a closed back. The Focal Elear may be a good option. Granted, I have not heard this headphone before either. It is well known though for having a very similar dip at 2-4kHz that the DT 1770 has. This issue should be easily correctable though by being equalized. A friend of mine owns the DT 1990, and I have heard it before. It is a very impressive headphone, but I did not get a long session with it. At this point, I would rather get something different from another brand for my second pair, just to have some variety.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #1,583 of 2,669
Apr 13, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #1,584 of 2,669
Due to our weak dollar in Canada, all headphones are priced way higher. It costs 1300 plus 12 percent tax here, which is 1456 Canadian. Retailers rip Canadians off even further too, and charge us more on top of the dollar conversion amount. 900 US is actually 1200 CAD, so they are gouging 100 bucks more on top of the conversion.

https://www.amazon.ca/Audeze-LCD-2-...d&qid=1555182144&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #1,586 of 2,669
I have sent back the DT 1770, so the search is now on for another headphone. :p I absolutely still love my Amiron after over a year of ownership. I think more people need to experience this headphone. It really is a special, musical, smooth, and unique sounding piece of gear when compared to almost all other Beyerdynamic headphones. I can't recommend it enough.

Apr 13, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #1,587 of 2,669
I have sent back the DT 1770, so the search is now on for another headphone. :p I absolutely still love my Amiron after over a year of ownership. I think more people need to experience this headphone. It really is a special, musical, smooth, and unique sounding piece of gear when compared to almost all other Beyerdynamic headphones. I can't recommend it enough.
I know the feeling. I sold my amiron home's a few years ago and recently bought another pair. These are one of the few headphones that are that special for me.

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #1,588 of 2,669
It should be no surprise that I would rather not mod a brand new headphone. I may end up having to just get another open back headphone instead of a closed back. The Focal Elear may be a good option. Granted, I have not heard this headphone before either. It is well known though for having a very similar dip at 2-4kHz that the DT 1770 has. This issue should be easily correctable though by being equalized. A friend of mine owns the DT 1990, and I have heard it before. It is a very impressive headphone, but I did not get a long session with it. At this point, I would rather get something different from another brand for my second pair, just to have some variety.

I agree. I waited a while before attempting to mod mine. There are cheaper options for modding anyways. I don’t think a new model headphone that expensive should need any modding, because modding to me is for fixing fundamental issues that aren’t quite related to tuning but rather resonance, distortion, control, comfort & fit, etc. issues. EQ is great tuning the headphone to your preference or to a more neutral sound, but modding on headphones that pricey is a bit different, most I would usually do is pad swapping or placing sorbothane somewhere but I almost always keep them stock, but I do get curious and like to look inside of the headphones, the driver, magnet design, etc., dampening, and housing layout interest me and I opened up the DT 1770 because no one else really did. Same with the DT 1990 and Amiron Home. I suggest caution with any of them due to thin internal cables. The T1.2 I felt fairly comfortable opening up due to the thick heavy duty internal cables. I avoid permanent mods which are too risky and can easily ruin a headphone.

I think trying a different brand will be a good thing. I felt the Elear had a good deal of potential when I heard it, the upper mid dip did definitely hurt it(never had the chance to EQ it, so not sure how it responds to EQ sadly) and it does have a bit of that metal driver sound characteristic(which I personally like), it will likely behave very different on different amps and sources than the Amiron Home, so if you get one definitely play around with the system. I gather the Elex(Elear with different pads and cable) and Clear fix the upper mid issues, never heard either though. Nor have I heard the Elegia or Stellia.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #1,590 of 2,669
It is definitely a different driver. It is shocking to see that this is a 32Ohm headphone too. These are the specs.

Specs
  • Massdrop x Beyerdynamic
  • Closed-back principle
  • Circumaural fit
  • Driver: 45mm Tesla neodymium technology
  • Frequency response: 5 Hz–40 kHz
  • Impedance: 32 ohms
  • Painted aluminum ear cups
  • Spring steel headband
  • Metal yokes
  • Dark blue stitching
  • Cable: Straight, detachable