beyerdynamic 990 dt 250 OHM Vs V-moda M-100s
Jan 18, 2013 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

hirtmic

New Head-Fier
So I am looking at purchasing some new headphones and getting away from the uncomfortable Dre. Dre studios I got awhile back. So the two major headphones that are on my list are the M-100s that I always hear good reviews about and the Beyerdynamic 990's that I have been told by friends that are very good as well. My second question is how do you know if you need amps for these headphones. And finally let me know if you have any other recommendations for headphones.

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 20
Quote:
So I am looking at purchasing some new headphones and getting away from the uncomfortable Dre. Dre studios I got awhile back. So the two major headphones that are on my list are the M-100s that I always hear good reviews about and the Beyerdynamic 990's that I have been told by friends that are very good as well. My second question is how do you know if you need amps for these headphones. And finally let me know if you have any other recommendations for headphones.

Hello hirtmic! 

Since no one else has jumped in here I'll give it a shot. You're looking at two fairly different headphones. The DT990s are open headphones and at 250ohms would require a pretty good amplifier sitting behind it. In the end, they are a little more accurate and have a certain sense of 'transparency' to the sound. Not really a portable pair of headphones. The Vmoda are meant for portable use. They block out some outside noise, and can be played from a portable music player. However, they won't sound as accurate as the DT990.

So let me ask a few questions:
1. where are you going to be using these headphones?
2. how do you play your music currently?
3. what kind of music do you enjoy listening to? 

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #3 of 20
My thoughts, having not heard the V-moda, but having recently been trying to decide between them and the DT990:
If you keep your eyes open on Amazon, you can find the 990 pro for around $150-$170.  They are great for stationary use, but obviously a no-go for portable listening.  In terms of amping, it depends on what you're going to be listening from.  I think for the 990 pro, a Fiio e-11 will work.  

For another $140, you can score the AKG K167, which are a closed portable and fold up to a really compact size.  They have very clear and detailed highs with solid and clear bass.  They're not as feature-rich as the M-100, they don't have the awesome visual styling of the V-moda, and the build quality isn't going to be as good.  At less than half the cost of the M-100, you can't go wrong IMO.  I have had some comfort issues with the cups after long listening sessions, but others have reported similar issues with the M-100.  The K167 don't need an amp.

So basically, for the same price as the M-100, you can get two pairs of cans suited for different listening purposes.  Others will porbably have more informed opinions, I'm just getting into headphones after years of being content with IEMs.  

The other option, if you're really curious about the M-100, is to order both the M-100 and the DT-990 from Amazon, decide between the two, and return whichever one you don't like.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Hello hirtmic! 

Since no one else has jumped in here I'll give it a shot. You're looking at two fairly different headphones. The DT990s are open headphones and at 250ohms would require a pretty good amplifier sitting behind it. In the end, they are a little more accurate and have a certain sense of 'transparency' to the sound. Not really a portable pair of headphones. The Vmoda are meant for portable use. They block out some outside noise, and can be played from a portable music player. However, they won't sound as accurate as the DT990.

So let me ask a few questions:
1. where are you going to be using these headphones?
2. how do you play your music currently?
3. what kind of music do you enjoy listening to? 

Well currenty I mostly listen to my headphones at home and will occasionally bring them to the library with to study, As for how I am listening to them is just staight from my laptop or my phone. But I am Looking at purchasing an amp. The music I enjoy listening to is really all over the place, most of the time i'm listening to house and hip-hop. But i will also throw a lot of rock, modern jazz and even some classical music.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:
My thoughts, having not heard the V-moda, but having recently been trying to decide between them and the DT990:
If you keep your eyes open on Amazon, you can find the 990 pro for around $150-$170.  They are great for stationary use, but obviously a no-go for portable listening.  In terms of amping, it depends on what you're going to be listening from.  I think for the 990 pro, a Fiio e-11 will work.  

For another $140, you can score the AKG K167, which are a closed portable and fold up to a really compact size.  They have very clear and detailed highs with solid and clear bass.  They're not as feature-rich as the M-100, they don't have the awesome visual styling of the V-moda, and the build quality isn't going to be as good.  At less than half the cost of the M-100, you can't go wrong IMO.  I have had some comfort issues with the cups after long listening sessions, but others have reported similar issues with the M-100.  The K167 don't need an amp.

So basically, for the same price as the M-100, you can get two pairs of cans suited for different listening purposes.  Others will porbably have more informed opinions, I'm just getting into headphones after years of being content with IEMs.  

The other option, if you're really curious about the M-100, is to order both the M-100 and the DT-990 from Amazon, decide between the two, and return whichever one you don't like.

Thanks! I was actually looking into purchasing a Fiio e-11 Because I do not have a amp yet. I will also do some research on the AKG K167, I have a lot of friends that DJ and I know a few may have them. so I can ask them about them and maybe even test them out before purchasing them.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 20
Sounds like you're looking in the right direction. The DT990 are 'open back' designed. Most headphones that get over the $300 price point are. This means that the headphone drivers are open to the outside environment and the sound doesn't get blocked at all. You could put your ears on the outside of the headphone and get the same volume as on the inside. On the other hand 'closed back' means that the headphones attempt to block in the sound, so only the listener can hear. If you're planning on taking these on the go, you probably want to get a pair of closed headphones first.

I think some people like the tiestos. there's a thread floating around about them you can check out. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 20
Well since the 990s are openended I think I am leaning towards the m-100s but I am waiting till I test out my friends akgs plus he wants to test out his Audio-Technica ATH-50s. But at the current moment I am thinking at the m-100s will be best. I will probably just order them from amazon to test them out.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:
Would you suggest getting an amp with the m-100s? I am really not sure what I should get a amp with and what does not need one with them or not.

The M-100s will not need an amp. Some headphones really need a separate amplifier to push enough power into the headphones to get them to sound loud enough to hear. The M-100s will sound better if you get a better amplifier, but you will get them loud enough to listen out of a iphone, or computer sound card.

In reality anytime you get sound you have an amplifier. Say an ipod, has a built in DAC (digital to analog converter) and a headphone amplifier. Getting a stand alone amplifier usually means you are upgrading your current amplifier. Hope that makes sense. I know this all can be very confusing at the beginning. 

Also check out beyerdynamic custom one pro, and beyerdynamic dt770. Sorry, keep remembering closed headphones later. 

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #12 of 20
A coworker received the M-100's yesterday and I had a chance to compare them against my Sennheiser HD280's using my Little Dot MKII amp.
Either the V-Moda's didn't like my amp or there's something wrong with the pair he bought. There's a button on the V-Moda cord that's used for controlling a phone. The only way I could get full sound out of them was if that button was depressed. Without that button being depressed everything below high-mids was completely restricted. I couldn't hear a LOT of sounds.
This is just my experience with those headphones and my particular amp.

Aside from that when they were working with the button depressed, I didn't like the sound signature compared to the HD280's. The bass was insanely overpowered. Listening to Bassnectar was fun for a few moments but the bass would easily become very irritating after an hour or two because of how much of the rest of the spectrum was muddied and covered up. The mids were recessed and relatively flat/lifeless, the highs were decent, the upper highs had a nice crispness to them. Comparatively though, the HD280's blew them out of the water.

Again, this is when they were hooked up to my tube amp. I have zero other reference points yet. My coworker has a decent Asus headphone amp/DAC at his desk so I'll be able to compare the two headphones using that amp soon.

If you're going to be in a library you'll have to have closed phones. Look into the DT770 250ohm or even the 600ohm if you can get an amp powerful enough to drive them.

Have a look here too!

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #13 of 20
Well what im thinking of doing right now is getting the m-100s testing them out if I like them I will keep them, if not ill return them get a pair of 990s for home use with an amp and then get something else for when I go the the library. Maybe ill just keep my Beats and just make deal for that when I go the library.

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #15 of 20
Just to update you I ordered the V-moda m-100s and recieved them yesterday. Thus far I love them and think I will keep them. While I also ordered the 990 250 ohms along with a desktop headphone amplifer. I am waiting on those to test them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back