beyer t70 & t70p NEW!
Dec 2, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #331 of 623
Well I have an interest check on mine. So far I'm having a love hate relationship with them. On one hand, instrument separation is outstanding, as well as transparency. The highs are very extended without being harsh or sibilant. Both the mids and highs remind me a lot of the T1, but without the sound stage and imaging. But they both are still very good especially for a closed can. In a sense, they remind me a lot of a poor mans r10 because of the clarity. But......the bass is lacking to me.

The bass out of the box was completely non existent. The bass would make the er4p sound like bass head iems. But now that I have quiet a bit of burn in, the bass quantity have improved and is making me rethink selling these. Right now the quantity is on par with something like an er4p. But the bass is very textured and smooth. I'm wondering if more burn in would also improve the quantity. There is one thing I've noticed though. If I press the cups slightly I get a lot more bass. I would say dt990 type quantity. So I wonder if it's a pad issue since they are pretty thin.

So all in all I would say they have great potential. If it wasn't for the lack of punch I would say they are the best closed cans I've listened to outside the r10s. Even better than the ed8. But not having enough bass punch is a big flaw for me. Everything else is so good that I may forget about it, but it still bothers me. I might experiment with pad rolling since I can get gobs of bass by pressing them on my ears.

And no, I'm not a bass head.

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #332 of 623

Quote:
Well I have an interest check on mine. So far I'm having a love hate relationship with them. On one hand, instrument separation is outstanding, as well as transparency. The highs are very extended without being harsh or sibilant. Both the mids and highs remind me a lot of the T1, but without the sound stage and imaging. But they both are still very good especially for a closed can. In a sense, they remind me a lot of a poor mans r10 because of the clarity. But......the bass is lacking to me.

The bass out of the box was completely non existent. The bass would make the er4p sound like bass head iems. But now that I have quiet a bit of burn in, the bass quantity have improved and is making me rethink selling these. Right now the quantity is on par with something like an er4p. But the bass is very textured and smooth. I'm wondering if more burn in would also improve the quantity. There is one thing I've noticed though. If I press the cups slightly I get a lot more bass. I would say dt990 type quantity. So I wonder if it's a pad issue since they are pretty thin.

So all in all I would say they have great potential. If it wasn't for the lack of punch I would say they are the best closed cans I've listened to outside the r10s. Even better than the ed8. But not having enough bass punch is a big flaw for me. Everything else is so good that I may forget about it, but it still bothers me. I might experiment with pad rolling since I can get gobs of bass by pressing them on my ears.

And no, I'm not a bass head.

eek.gif
Now that's a mouthful!

Funny how different the bass is next to the T1s that is quite nice, balanced and impactful (more impactful than the HD800s IMO).

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #333 of 623
These would be a closed t1 if it wasn't for the lack of bass. But on the bright side, the extension is very good. And the little bass they do have is very textured and refined. But stil,l everything else sounds exceptional.

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #335 of 623
I agree. I think these would be perfect for a 2nd generation "darth". The driver is leaps and bounds better than the driver in the dt770. But I'm now pretty sure the biggest problem with the bass response is in the pads. Last night I experimented with putting some cotton underneath the pads and the results were very good. The soundstage became deeper and wider, the bass quantity increase to the point of being acceptable, and since my ears weren't touching the drivers, they were more comfortable to wear.

I don't know if is a seal problem with the pads or the fact that they are so thin, but I believe they are the source of the lack of bass. I've now decided to sell these. There are too many headphones out there that doesn't require pad swapping or modding. So as good as everything else sounds, I've decided to move on.

One more thing to add. My only "otl" tube amp is a budget one that was basically a gift. My fisher integrated, which is transformer coupled, sounds many times better. But I decided what the heck, so I tried them on the cheap otl amp, and to my surprise the bass had quiet a bit more output. I know these are highish impedance, but they're not 600ohms high. The sound is still better on my fisher overall(by a good deal). But I guess at only 250 ohms, these still need otl amping. Wish I had something like a wa2, heck even a wa3. I haven't owned high impedance headphones in quiet some time and all of my good otl amps are long gone.

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #336 of 623
I just use my iBasso D6 for my T70's and it sounds great to me.

something like KMFDM really packs a decent bass punch.

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #337 of 623
I am really looking forward to this headphone. I hope to get it with the Leckerton UHA-6S in the Spring. I do not need high volume at all, but the isolation of the t70's looks really good. And after using open phones for so long, I don't understand how people could brag about a musical sound if they are hearing traffic noise and the dishwasher running and everything else at the same time. It seems like isolation will help enjoyment of sound quality as much as any other variable. My lifestyle does not include many quiet moments in a still room alone.

I have been using an unmodded Grado 80i for about 5 yrs now. Before that I was just using the earbuds that came with the ipods. I now realize I have really good hearing and am very sensitive to subtleties of music (eg, I can still hear that high-pitched tone of electronic equipment that hasn't been turned off.)

It seems like going from the Grado 80i to a well amped T70p will bring few complaints about the "thin bass." Because lemme tell ya, the bass on the 80i is deplorable. Sometimes I'll try to listen to Beats Antique or Shpongle on it and just laugh.

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #338 of 623
Well there's been some very interesting developments. Today I was looking in the mirror to see how the pads were forming around my ear and noticed that there were gaps in the front. I already knew I wasn't getting a good seal, but wanted to see just how bad the fit was. So later in the night I decided to shave my head(was going to do it anyway at wife's request). I gave them another whirl a bit earlier and.....Houston we have lift off!! Now I see why some have said they have very little bass and why some said they have a good amount of punch.

Not only did the bass quantity improve, but the quality as well. These things are now hitting hard and deep. Not d7000 type hard but, yes T1 type hard. They have just as much slam(from memory, don't own a pair). The bass may not quiet have the extension, or even the smoothness, it's very impressive considering how anemic it was. I now wouldn't classify these as a bass lite headphones. They still are not bass head cans. But they now sound like 600.00 headphones.

So the pads really are the problem which isn't good. I may now keep these, but I may not. I don't plan on having a bald head forever lol. And I also don't want to waste a lot of time experimenting with pads. I never had this problem with any other beyer. They all sounded the same no matter how thick my hair was. So for me, this really explains the varying opinions about how much bass weight these have. Shaving my head made a night and day difference, and that's really blowing my mind. So the pads on these absolutely suck when it comes to creating a seal. I still have not made up my mind about keeping these, but for the first time I'm really enjoying these.

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #339 of 623
I just bought a pair of the Beyer gel pads for this exact reason, due to the fact that I wear glasses and it was ruining the seal. After I got the gel pads, problem solved! Better isolation, and the bass is even more intense! I couldnt believe how good these headphones could sound. 

Quote:
Well there's been some very interesting developments. Today I was looking in the mirror to see how the pads were forming around my ear and noticed that there were gaps in the front. I already knew I wasn't getting a good seal, but wanted to see just how bad the fit was. So later in the night I decided to shave my head(was going to do it anyway at wife's request). I gave them another whirl a bit earlier and.....Houston we have lift off!! Now I see why some have said they have very little bass and why some said they have a good amount of punch.

Not only did the bass quantity improve, but the quality as well. These things are now hitting hard and deep. Not d7000 type hard but, yes T1 type hard. They have just as much slam(from memory, don't own a pair). The bass may not quiet have the extension, or even the smoothness, it's very impressive considering how anemic it was. I now wouldn't classify these as a bass lite headphones. They still are not bass head cans. But they now sound like 600.00 headphones.

So the pads really are the problem which isn't good. I may now keep these, but I may not. I don't plan on having a bald head forever lol. And I also don't want to waste a lot of time experimenting with pads. I never had this problem with any other beyer. They all sounded the same no matter how thick my hair was. So for me, this really explains the varying opinions about how much bass weight these have. Shaving my head made a night and day difference, and that's really blowing my mind. So the pads on these absolutely suck when it comes to creating a seal. I still have not made up my mind about keeping these, but for the first time I'm really enjoying these.

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #340 of 623
Yeah, I'm very, very impressed with what I'm hearing now. Right now I feel confident in saying these now surpasses the ed8 IMO. But I just can't ignore the frustration I'm having with the pads. If someone would have bought these before I finally got a chance to hear what they could do, I would have always thought these were flawed. And because of the stock pads, in a way they still are.

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #342 of 623
The whole thing is very strange and almost unbelievable. But the pads really are that bad. At least for me it is. The seal really is hit or miss depending on each person's head. They now sound the way they did when I posted earlier about pressing the cups tighter against the head. Really don't know what to do now. They sound to good to get rid of, but also too much of a pain to keep. I guess my love hate relationship continues. I may explore the gel pads though. They really sounds interesting.

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #345 of 623
Just went back and read the post you were referring to. I really don't believe they are filled with gel. They don't conform to the shape of my head at all. It really feels like some type of foam. I could be wrong but they might be pulling a denon on this one(when they claimed the new d7000 will have genuine leather pads)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back