beyer T50p: beyerdynamic Announces The T50p Portable Tesla Headphones
Jul 5, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #347 of 866

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. There's nothing to forgive mate, actually, those are quite good descriptions. These are going to replace my aging PX100 so my expectations are probably lower than most. SoundEarphones told me they'll ship mine whenever they get the next batch.

To be honest I'm having second thoughts on these, but in my case I need to find something quick due to travel. Suggestions are most welcome, preferably from soundearphones lineup.

No need to have second thoughts.  I've been playing them for a while.  I've been swapping between the D7000's at the office, the SR007 MK1's at home and the T50p on my commute/in bed and they've improved quite a bit after heavy use/burn in.  The highs are still sharp, but the mids have tightened up quite a bit.  The bass isn't bloated anymore and the mids are able to come a bit more forward.  They are very unforgiving of bad recordings.  The bass is very strong, I'm not a huge bass head.  The D7000's are great with a solid state amp the JMoney pads as it tames the bass for me quite a bit, so it was a bit hard to get used to the T50p.

The highs are a bit too bright and forward for me at times, the bass is very boomy, and the mids are a little recessed (just a very little bit due to the bass emphasis) but hip hop is amazing on these cans.  I'm currently listening to The Root's How I Get Over 2010 and it's amazing.  I also used it with some television programs and I couldn't believe how good the separation was.  Everything is very clear and the sound stage is unbelievable for cans this small.

Though the price is steep for what it is, these are quite a pair of quality cans.  I don't know if others will have the same experience, but the burn-in was necessary for me.  The fact that they sound amazing unamp have made them my go to cans for my portable rig.  And in comparison to your PX100's I consider these T50p's to be a definite upgrade.  So far I'm enjoying them quite a bit after the horrid first impression I had of them.

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #348 of 866
Just got mine a few hours ago, and they are currently burning in. You were right, out of the box everything is just wrong; need proper burn-in. These are my first ever beyers so I am not sure I like their 'beyer sound', after two albums it kinda grew on me though. Not quite as transparent as my customs or baby stax, different league I suppose. However, I won't comment further on SQ until > 50hr or so. I do like the build quality and style. Very nice and I reckon won't go out of style quickly. The clamping force is minimum for my 60cm head.

I can't wait for Skylab's impressions on these ! :)

edit: grammar.

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #350 of 866
Mine will finally arrive today, but I am assuming a bunch of burn-in will be needed...

Jul 7, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #351 of 866
Arrived.  First impression right out of the box - much better than I had thought after my brief audition at CanJam.  MUCH better.  Mids seem a bit recessed, and the treble just a little "tizzy" - but at this point I have hope, with burn in.  We shall see!

They are light, comfortable, and isolate remarkably well.

Jul 7, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #353 of 866
Not sure about a full review, but at least something, yes.

Jul 8, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #354 of 866
I'm so glad, I'm not alone on the need for burn-in and the recessed mids.

I'm looking forward to your impressions Skylab.  And since you have an impressive collection, if you find an amp that does anything to help (it hasn't been good or bad, mostly unnecessary to amp to my ears) I would like to hear that too, just see if I can squeeze a bit more out of these.  Still having a pair of quality cans that don't need an amp is great.

Jul 8, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #355 of 866
Just when I think I'm out...

My tv-watching cans, the AT a950ltds went bust. I mean the left driver just blow up. I haven't had a headphone, much less a good one, just honestly fully 100% break like that in a long while.

So, time for headphone-shopping. I knew that the AKG K271 mkII's would be healthy, and good for me. No, of course I don't plug directly into the TV, I use my old Perreaux sxh-1 from back in the day. It's a must for small-apartment late night-tv watching.

Anyway, I just couldn't really get excited about the AKGs. That's when I got reminded of the T50p release.....

I started shopping for large closed cans for home use and bought Beyer T50p's instead. As you do, when you're a Headfier and a member of Team Beyer. I'm in the queue at Earphone Solutions, eagerly awaiting some portable goodness.

As for the need for tv cans, meh, I'll get an extension cable for my dt990s or dt250s.

Jul 8, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #356 of 866
You saved me 50 bucks!  I was waiting for 32ohm audio to get back to me with stock info, didn't know Earphone Solutions carried these.  I was more than willing to spend 299 after giving them a try last week, the 4th of July coupon (which was still active as of this morning) made it a no-brainer.  Can't wait till these come in next week.

Quote:
I started shopping for large closed cans for home use and bought Beyer T50p's instead. As you do, when you're a Headfier and a member of Team Beyer. I'm in the queue at Earphone Solutions, eagerly awaiting some portable goodness.

As for the need for tv cans, meh, I'll get an extension cable for my dt990s or dt250s.

Jul 8, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #357 of 866
Oh I didn't know about that coupon! But there was another coupon, and the free shipping to Euroland makes this a nice grab. I wonder if they have decent isolation and relatively little clamping force. Oh don't ya just love contradicting wishes? 
beyersmile.png

Speaking of contradictions, time to read all the contradicting stuff I always find about all my favorite Beyers: It's too bassy/bass light/sibilant/no treble sparkle/too laid back/too forward. 
popcorn.gif

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #358 of 866
Beyerdynamic T 50 p unboxing...

My "T 50 p's" arrived yesterday from SoundEarphones.

They come with a nice black case that closes with a velcro strap. Also included is a 1/4" adapter, airplane adapter and a little green rubber spiral to tie up the cord.

I was a concerned about clamping force but they are more comfortable than I thought they would be (however, I haven't worn them for an extended period of time yet). As I type this, I've been listening to them for about half an hour and they're bugging me a little.

There was a definite recession in the midrange straight out of the box and they're already sounding more balanced after just about 12 hours of burn in (and no, I don't think it was a case of my ears "getting used to it" because i listened to them for 5 minutes and put them away to play music overnight).

I am a disappointed in the amount of isolation. I was hoping they would isolate as much as my Senn HD 25-1s and I could use them to DJ but they don't seem to isolate any more than my DT 250s. They're obviously not in the same league as the T1s but definitely have that tesla flavor (clear, nice instrument separation and dynamics).

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #359 of 866

Quote:
I am a disappointed in the amount of isolation. I was hoping they would isolate as much as my Senn HD 25-1s and I could use them to DJ but they don't seem to isolate any more than my DT 250s. They're obviously not in the same league as the T1s but definitely have that tesla flavor (clear, nice instrument separation and dynamics).

I have mine on order and also have the HD-25's to compare to. Glad to hear you could make some comparisons before mine come in. Those look really big though in the headband and I have a tiny head. Can you take pics of them on? Im wondering if they will be wide on me and just look funny.

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #360 of 866
Oh thanks for the pics and impressions. Yeah we'll either get comfort or huge isolation. Not both. If they were as isolating as the dt250s, I'd be really really over the moon. If not, that's alright, it's not my intended usage anyway. That said, isolation is not a bad thing.

I wonder if these will live up to their hype and serve as a small apology for discontinuing the dt531s. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back