Beyer or Denon? Please help me choose
Mar 11, 2011 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

catalyst21

New Head-Fier
I'm debating between the AH-D2000 and DT880 600 ohm. Which would you go with?

I'm more of an all around listener, I like deep, smooth and dominating bass, sharp trebles, excellent mids, and excelling detail.

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 31
Or should I prehaps look at something else? I've just been reading reviews on both companies and headphones, and came to the conclusion that they are both right for me, but I must choose one. I don't know though, I think I'm going to need some suggestions.

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 31
Perhaps the DT990 600 ohm? It has the dominating bass and sharp treble that you describe. Of course with that, the mids would be slightly recessed but it is still excellent. Detail and soundstage is excellent as well. The DT880 is if you want a more balanced and neutral sound. Can't comment on the Denon though but I know they also have dominating bass.

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 31
You want the 990s not the 880s I can not say how the 600ohm sounds as I only have the 250 but I can say that the 990s are vastly better than the 880s having heard both on the same setup. In fact the owner of the 880s that I compared against said afterword that he was going to half to buy a set of 990s. The big difference we both heard was the sound stage put simply the 990s have a great sound stage and the 880s do not have a sound stage at all by comparison.

Also I do not know what sort of setup you have but the one in my sig has great synergy with the 990s. If you do not have a lot for an amp I will say that they also sounded good when used with the little dot MK1 which was the first amp I used for them.

Mar 11, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 31
I am listening to the Denon D2000 as I type this.  I just compared it to the DT990 ten minutes ago.  The DT990 is much, much brighter, has more powerful bass and a larger soundstage.  The D2000 has a much smoother, warmer sound with clearer mids.  The DT990 needs an amp.  The Denon is much better with an amp but is not grating without one.  The DT990 is open back and the D2000 is closed.  They are both comfortable.  The DT990 is lighter and the Denon has bigger ear cups which fit me better.

These two headphones are different enough that you are almost choosing between apples and oranges.  Neither one would be a wrong choice for me.  Of course, both of them is a better choice.  This is a long way of saying you would not go wrong with either but I think it would be very difficult to really know which you would ultimately prefer without being able to hear both.

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 31
If you are not planning on using an external amplifier, my view is that the DT990 is not a good choice.  The sound you will get from the DT990 without an amplifier is worse than you would get from many less expensive headphones which can be driven adequately from a sound card or portable device.  My opinion is that the DT990 is something special but you need to power it with an amplifier to get the specialness.  Otherwise, it is sort of dry, overly bright and oddly booming with bass.  Given adequate power, it is a completely different animal.

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 31

Quote:
I am listening to the Denon D2000 as I type this.  I just compared it to the DT990 ten minutes ago.  The DT990 is much, much brighter, has more powerful bass and a larger soundstage.  The D2000 has a much smoother, warmer sound with clearer mids.  The DT990 needs an amp.  The Denon is much better with an amp but is not grating without one.  The DT990 is open back and the D2000 is closed.  They are both comfortable.  The DT990 is lighter and the Denon has bigger ear cups which fit me better.

These two headphones are different enough that you are almost choosing between apples and oranges.  Neither one would be a wrong choice for me.  Of course, both of them is a better choice.  This is a long way of saying you would not go wrong with either but I think it would be very difficult to really know which you would ultimately prefer without being able to hear both.

How would you describe the width of soundstage on D2000 in comparison to them beyers. If 990 was 100% as a reference, what % would you give for denons.

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #9 of 31
"The DT990 is much, much brighter"

im still semi-new to audiophile terms. What does it mean when a headphone is "bright" or brighter" Can that be a positive and negative?

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 31

Quote:
But I heard without a decent AMP the 990s will suffer...I'll be running the headphones from my Xonar Essence....I don't know

Get a FiiO E7/E9 combo! It'll power the DT990 600ohm just fine and can be had for around $200 for both.
beerchug.gif
If you can't get that then you could go for the lower ohms of the DT990. I have no experience with them, but read that the 600ohm is always the best way to go given proper amplification.

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #11 of 31

Quote:
"The DT990 is much, much brighter"

im still semi-new to audiophile terms. What does it mean when a headphone is "bright" or brighter" Can that be a positive and negative?

The highs extend really far. The high pitched sounds like guitar solos will really shine that it might even annoy your ears like a screeching sound. It's not too bad for me though. They also sound really "metallic" instead of warm like other headphones. Just think of emphasis on the highs when it comes to "bright".

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #12 of 31

Quote:
The highs extend really far. The high pitched sounds like guitar solos will really shine that it might even annoy your ears like a screeching sound. It's not too bad for me though. They also sound really "metallic" instead of warm like other headphones. Just think of emphasis on the highs when it comes to "bright".

Thanks for taking the time to clarify for me. ive actually been eyeing the DT990s (either 32 or 250 ohm) for use with my a/v receiver

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #13 of 31
Mar 12, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #15 of 31

Quote:
sysfail
is the HD600 and DT990 a good pair to have? 
as in like ill only have those two

I would say yes! It's a great compliment of each other as the HD600 produce excellent mids, but go lighter on the bass and highs. On the other hand, the DT990/600ohm produce deep lows/bass, and extended/sharp highs while mids take a step back because of the emphasis on the 2 ends of the spectrum. So they are like opposites, I find the DT990 are the best for electronica/trance/dance music, and the HD600 are still great for anything and everything lol. Make sure you aren't sensitive to sharp highs or the headphones will irritate you.
biggrin.gif
I hear a tube amp would tame down the highs though. I'm using the E7/E9 so the sharp highs are still there, but they don't irritate me too much.
tongue_smile.gif

EDIT: Also the DT990 has a more "metallic" sound, while the HD600 has more smooth and warm sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back